• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY Day Ride: Hill Country Run 4/26/19

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
I will be in North Austin Thursday night and will then have Friday to head West for the day. I will need to be back in North Austin by Friday evening. I will be staying at Woodbutcher's home in Brushy Creek, which is roughly between Round Rock and Cedar Park. My son will be with me on my 1200 GS and we'll be doing back roads and FMs out toward Boerne, Fredericksburg, maybe hitting Willow City Loop if it is not already packed, and then generally wandering back toward Austin via Marble Falls.

If you have the day free and don't mind bumpy little back roads with rough pavement and/or gravel, then I'd be happy to have you join me for the day.

My tentative route is about 280 miles and Basecamp says it will take just under 9 hours. Basecamp is usually pretty close with its time estimates. Anyway, I figure if we meet at 8:45am and leave at 9:00am, we will be back at Woodbutcher's place around 6:30-7:30pm. That allows for a leisurely pace, stopping to smell flowers, lunch, etc,...

START LOCATION:

There is a Circle K gas station at the intersection of Cornerwood Dr., and RM 620.

MEET TIME

April 26th, Friday at 8:45 am with KSU at 9:00am.

Please be READY to leave the parking lot at 9:00am!

ROUTE:

I have attached a GPX file. The Circle K has a waypoint marker on the map.

GPX viewer

It has been a while since I have ridden some of these roads and I CANNOT guarantee that they are ALL paved. Some may have broken pavement and/or gravel.

Attachments

• AprilHillCountryRun.gpx
    344.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Sounds like a fun ride. I’ll look into skipping work this Friday, might be hard though.

If I didn't have a gig Saturday I'd come back down and join you.

You'd definitely want the AT ;-)
I dunno. After chasing MacDaddy for 1100 miles through the little paved and dirt roads in the Hill Country, the VFR worked pretty well. Even with bald street tires on it. Now it has some nice new 80/20 tires even. That reminds me I need to add the crash bars and skid plate to it.

Hi. If agreeable to you, I will join you but coming from SA so will meet you at intersection of RR 962 and FM 3347. Looks like you will be there at about 1030 if you leave Round Rock at 900. What do you think?

Hi. If agreeable to you, I will join you but coming from SA so will meet you at intersection of RR 962 and FM 3347. Looks like you will be there at about 1030 if you leave Round Rock at 900. What do you think?

I did not realize it earlier, but you are looking at the route backward. We will be heading South toward Dripping Springs first, running the loop clockwise. It would be easier for you to just meet us in Blanco at the CJ's Food Plaza (Exxon) on Main Street.

According to the GPS, we should be there by about 11:45 am if we get away at 9:00am. Or, you can meet us in Dripping Springs. There is a Shell gas station on US 290 just a block or so West of RR 12,

Which ever works best for you.

I will meet you in Blanco. Sending my mobile number by private message. Thanks for letting me join.

Which bike should I be looking for, Ducati or XRL?

I am looking at a map and your route from north Austin to Blanco, scratching my head. Your GPS told you 2:45 travel time to Blanco, but it looks more like 1:30 to me. Would you mind taking another look?

I am looking at a map and your route from north Austin to Blanco, scratching my head. Your GPS told you 2:45 travel time to Blanco, but it looks more like 1:30 to me. Would you mind taking another look?

You are right! I can’t do basic math. I should have said 10:45am :doh:

The flowers in the Hill Country are amazing. This was taken on Willow City Loop. Thank you, Tourmeister, for arranging a great day of riding. Great to meet you too Big A.
35AA8F7A-CD67-4E61-96DC-E39702ECA496.jpeg

It was a blast. I think we clocked right at 300 miles by the time we got back to Woodbutcher’s place. Time for a seat upgrade!!

Back