• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Day Trippin' to Marfa (An in state SS1K)

Better late than never! :thumb:

For being all pavement this was one of the nicest and most memorable rides I've ever taken.

I'm trying to decide what IBA ride I want to do next now. I figure I've got until August to figure something out if I want to get the basic Mile Eater thing done. A BBG seems like the obvious thing to attempt.

Better late than never! :thumb:

For being all pavement this was one of the nicest and most memorable rides I've ever taken.

I'm trying to decide what IBA ride I want to do next now. I figure I've got until August to figure something out if I want to get the basic Mile Eater thing done. A BBG seems like the obvious thing to attempt.
Good luck. I did the SS1K and decided I didn't want to do any more. Then I did an accidental unofficial SS1K this past June. Left work and headed to Florida and got a hotel about halfway. Ended up waking up early and got on the road. I arrived at my parents house just under 24 hours after I left, which was just over 1000 miles. It's so easy you do it on accident now.

I'd like to do the 50CC and that's it. It's such a time sink to do a two day ride, when you count riding to the starting point and riding home too. I'd rather just spend the week riding in the mountains instead.

I found the challenge of planning and executing the ride to be a weird kind of fun.

I'd really like to do the RAT at some point since I'm close enough to Paris that I could start there fairly easily. I actually have that all planned out in Basecamp but I'm not sure I'm ready to go for it yet. It's a fairly big commitment.

I found the challenge of planning and executing the ride to be a weird kind of fun.

I spent so much time planning a plethora of routes. My end route literally fell into my lap though when I had an idea and did a quick map. Once I plotted that map and saw and even 500 miles, I knew how I'd end up doing it.

In case you are interested - https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/its-4am-and-i-have-a-craving-for-some-bbq.72935/

I'd really like to do the RAT at some point since I'm close enough to Paris that I could start there fairly easily. I actually have that all planned out in Basecamp but I'm not sure I'm ready to go for it yet. It's a fairly big commitment.
Good luck, we have some over on FJRiders that have attempted and some that have completed the RAT. Natehawk750 had an amazing ride when he did it a few months ago.

I spent so much time planning a plethora of routes. My end route literally fell into my lap though when I had an idea and did a quick map. Once I plotted that map and saw and even 500 miles, I knew how I'd end up doing it.

In case you are interested - https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/its-4am-and-i-have-a-craving-for-some-bbq.72935/

Good luck, we have some over on FJRiders that have attempted and some that have completed the RAT. Natehawk750 had an amazing ride when he did it a few months ago.

I read your thread a couple of years ago. It was really good and inspired me to finally go for it.

Bingo! It was fun to set my route and follow it when I did mine in July. I got super lucky too, because something messed up the hot weather and it never rose above 93 even as I got out to Ft. Stockton. I'd love to do the RAT, but getting enough time off is hard right now, and I don't see it getting easier.

Thanks for the nice music plugs, I have some new stuff to dive into!

Back