• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Death Valley - is it worth it?

I rode through on a 2-stroke 250cc twin in August, 1970 and it did fine. I would stop and soak my T-shirt in water and zip my jacket. AC

It is well worth it. But not in summer. Well, I won't ever go back between the months of April to November. Too hot. If you get a room at furnace creek you can survive, I was in a tent and it was miserable sleeping since at midnight it was still over 100.
My GSA got hot, and the heat off it on my body was incredible. I think I used up half my tire life in the park. :sun:
But again, very desolate, harsh, and so beautiful at the same time.
No place like it, Texas doesn't come close. DV is like the Twilight Zone........you can't ever leave.........:trust:

Thanks to everyone, you have compelled me to go ahead and visit the area. Due to scheduling, it will probably during the second half of the summer before I attempt this. I will probably leave Pahrump, Nevada around four in the morning and ride around the park until noon via 190. After that I will turn in for the day and then leave the next day very early in the morning to avoid the afternoon inferno via Scotty's Castle Road to Nevada.

Large CamelBak filled with ice and electrolytes in the water - check
Windscreen all the way up - check
Cooling vest - check
Proper wicking base layer - check

RB

I'd bring extra water. Ice will take up a lot of room. You can sweat up to 2 liters of water an hour. Make sure you hydrate plenty at night before bed. And extra water bladder doesn't take much room and is great insurance.

Back