• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

December 14: Beginner/Intermediate ride at Hidden Falls

Reaction score
Hi all, Planning a beginner/intermediate friendly ride at Hidden falls on December 14 (Saturday) if anyone is interested in joining.
Will be driving up in the morning, then heading back to Austin late afternoon. All is welcome!

Interested. Would also take a big GS, so depending on the place (never been) I might stick to an easy part or decide to go somewhere else.

Our GS's are more capable than people think. Mine has been dropped on the continental divide, Old Ore Road, East/West River Road, and everywhere in between.

Hi all, Planning a beginner/intermediate friendly ride at Hidden falls on December 14 (Saturday) if anyone is interested in joining.
Will be driving up in the morning, then heading back to Austin late afternoon. All is welcome!

Awesome Ryan! I am interested. Would bring my DRZ. Need to see if I can work this in with all of the Holiday prep and visiting Father in Law....etc.

I went years ago on my Vstrom just to look around at the camp area. Guys at the gate mentioned not to try the trails and just stay on main roads. It's not till I went back with a dirt bike that I understood their precautionary comments.
Not much there for GS. Just a few intersecting roads that won't take long to cover. The DRZ should be fine with an experienced rider.

Just trying to be helpful.

I went years ago on my Vstrom just to look around at the camp area. Guys at the gate mentioned not to try the trails and just stay on main roads. It's not till I went back with a dirt bike that I understood their precautionary comments.
Not much there for GS. Just a few intersecting roads that won't take long to cover. The DRZ should be fine with an experienced rider.

From my experiences there I agree with Vinny, but if you have a deep wallet and strong back, go far it!!

I might be able to ride my wr up there but not sure yet

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

So just to make sure I understand: You are saying Hidden Falls is not ok for less experienced off pavement riders to learn and practice? <"The DRZ should be fine with an experienced rider....">

I am not experienced off pavement.

So just to make sure I understand: You are saying Hidden Falls is not ok for less experienced off pavement riders to learn and practice? I]....">

Hidden falls has trails of varying difficulty. There is plenty there for all skill levels... That said, if you're riding a big tourer like a gs you probably want to know what you're getting into because that won't make the trails any easier. Not sure if that clears it up.

A drz is more than capable of doing all the lightweight trails out there, and will give you a fun ride to learn the ropes of trail riding.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

So just to make sure I understand: You are saying Hidden Falls is not ok for less experienced off pavement riders to learn and practice? <"The DRZ should be fine with an experienced rider....">

That is what I'm hinting at. I would say the trails in Bastrop might be the way to go for that (and free vs $27) . You can still get in trouble there but less likely.

I've been riding dirt bikes for about 10 years and HF can still challenge me on some areas.

From my experiences there I agree with Vinny, but if you have a deep wallet and strong back, go far it!!

I watched 2 guys with what looked like brand new GS800s and Klim gear head into HF a couple of years ago. They both looked pretty fit and strong too, but I have no idea about the pockets and didn't ask.

I thought about following them but I changed my mind. I had my own ride to occupy me.

Some do amazing things, but that's the exception not the normal.

Reactions: JMZ
No doubt. Isn't there a member here who gopro'd->youtubed his KLR rides at HF some time ago? That was fun to watch and he seemed to have gotten through a few sketchy (for me) areas. Guts I definitely don't have...

No doubt. Isn't there a member here who gopro'd->youtubed his KLR rides at HF some time ago? That was fun to watch and he seemed to have gotten through a few sketchy (for me) areas. Guts I definitely don't have...
Maybe Justin Queen ?

Just a warning if it is his video :

He makes it look EASY !!!

That is what I'm hinting at. I would say the trails in Bastrop might be the way to go for that (and free vs $27) . You can still get in trouble there but less likely.

I've been riding dirt bikes for about 10 years and HF can still challenge me on some areas.

Vinny I have never been to the Bastrop location that I see mentioned on here. Would be willing to do that instead, but I dont know where this place is. When I want to ride offroad I typically have to go out to Mason, which can be a pain. Can you DM me where this place is?

I still plan on going tomorrow to HF. I am supposed to be meeting a few guys at Parmer/1431 Starbucks (required since we ride GSs) around 1030 and head over.

I just went and watched some Hidden Falls videos and there is some gnarly stuff out there....

Yea JQueen rode out there with us a few times on his XR650 and did well. I have seen a few guys out there over the years show up all decked out in the latest gear on
clean shiny big GS bikes they do fine on the main roads and some of the 4 wheeler trails but were way out of their element on the more technical single track.

That being said the right guy would have no issue riding the area.

I would not be taking a 15K decked out GS and throwing it at some of those ledges. Now if someone wanted
to loan me a big ADV bike with no consequences about condition on its return I would have no problem bashing it around a loop

I'd say HF is not beginner or big bike friendly.

Like its been said, it is possible to get around on a big bike, but I wouldnt call it fun.

Just to close the loop on this thread...Unfortunately, something came up for me last minute and I can't make it out there tomorrow.
My only experience at Hidden Falls was in a 4x4, so was thinking that the loop road (at min) would be chill on a dirt bike...but ya ya'll could be right.

In any event, if the dirt bikes and prepped and you want to get riding in this weekend, I recommend the AMSA ride day at Rustys Walnut Creek Ranch, which is on Sunday. Great group!

Hope to meet up with you all in the new year on the next one...

My place is open tomorrow for those interested as well. Stockdale tx. Free
361-243-8794

So I ended up going with another GS rider on Saturday. Wow that was a lot of fun! We stuck to the ATV trails and 3 diamonds and below. It was difficult, but about perfect level for us. North loop was the hardest trail for us, but what a blast. I can't imaging what its like on a dirt bike.

Out of curiosity what is good inexpensive dirt bike, something 4 stroke that I could ride on the streets? KTM 500 EXCF?
IMG_2839.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 199
Good to know, will need to try it out for myself.

Back