• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

December 14: Beginner/Intermediate ride at Hidden Falls

Good on you for taking the GS out there! I used to take mine to the single track at SHNF every once in a while - it was ridiculous, but hey - why not.

Regarding a good cheap dirt bike. Yep- totally get where you are coming from. Back to the GS - first time I ever rode off road after years and years of sport biking and having never ridden in dirt was in BBNP on River Road on a GS1100 with street tires. By myself. That was a long and humbling day - and kind of stupid to be honest.

Anyway, after that I was like - you know - something lighter with knobbies may be more fun...

So - back to good and cheap - you know how it is - good and cheap rarely go together and cheap is also a relative thing. I would not put a 500 EXC in the cheap category, but don’t know your relative viewpoint. Good - heck yes! I love mine!

There are lots of cheaper ways to get a very decent street legal bike - I started with a used WR450F and put a street legal kit on it. Actually did that twice before going with the EXC. That WR was a beast - I mean a beast! Had a blast on both of them - but jeez - they had a lot more power than I had talent.

If you want to go new and cheap, the WR250R is a good place to look for a street legal out of the box solution.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to do with it - everything is a compromise. At Hidden Falls, even the 500 EXC is a big bike on some of the trails, though I ride there when I can and enjoy the training it provides.

So I ended up going with another GS rider on Saturday. Wow that was a lot of fun! We stuck to the ATV trails and 3 diamonds and below. It was difficult, but about perfect level for us. North loop was the hardest trail for us, but what a blast. I can't imaging what its like on a dirt bike.

Out of curiosity what is good inexpensive dirt bike, something 4 stroke that I could ride on the streets? KTM 500 EXCF? View attachment 250481
500 is a great bike, not sure about that inexpensive part, lol.

Back