• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

december 2013 pie run reports

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
my ride started out on the chilly side with the temperature in Cleburne at 32*f

just out side Cleburne on hwy171 I ran into freezing fog (frog) on and off all the way to Hillsboro. it is not fun to be running along at 70mph and have your face shield frost over completely in a few short seconds.:eek2:

once I reached Hillsboro the temperature warmed up noticeably and the rest of the way down went smoothly.
nice turn out with a healthy contingent of K1600's and a bunch of BMW's in General.

we even had a real triumph! :lol2:

a few pictures.

null_zpsa49d8a20.jpg

the real Triumph!
null_zpsefd4917c.jpg

MMMM candy!
null_zps30e9016a.jpg

the coolest GS in town and we had a bunch of them there!
null_zps9df3bead.jpg

the return home was much warmer and sunny and in a somewhat disturbing twist, my Garmin Zumo developed creativity and instead of just routing me back the way I came, it put together a interesting route using roads it has always passed over in the past.
I don't know if I should be worried about its new found creativity or not, but it was a nice change of scenery.

I so wanted to be there :( I drove past Moosehead last night though enroute from Texas State Railroad ;)

Robin, Steve and I left from Forney at about 8:40. It was a mite chilly but above freezing at 36 and it was up to 55 by the time we reached Crockett. I enjoyed seeing all the folks there and of course the Catfish special topped off with Coconut pie.

I tried to take a picture of all the bikes in front of the court house but ended up having to take three to get them all in.

Attachments

• Pie 3.jpg
    Pie 3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 189
  • Pie 4.jpg
    Pie 4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Pie 2.jpg
    Pie 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 193
Met up with a wild bunch in Rockdale, well, "wild" in the sense that they were crazy enough to follow me on one of my shortcuts. In attendance were a KLR, Strom, GS Boxer, and a Tiger.

Now, I really intended it to be an all pavement route there. Really, I did. Google's satellite photos are so often difficult to discern between asphalt and dirt. So, the route did end up on maybe thirty or so miles of gravel/dirt along the way. Everybody indicated a good time was had. Though Gravel Guy did get some dust on his new jacket and seemed crestfallen over this. Said he was tempted to turn around and go straight home to wash the KLR and the jacket as soon as he could. ;-)

Wow, what a crowd at Crockett! There were a ton of bikes that had the Court House surrounded. Several riders took a chance and occupied the Reserved for County Judge space for the short time we were there. We crossed our fingers the judge wouldn't be in over the lunch hour on a Saturday. The bikes were found as we left them after our respite for victuals and pie.

The Strom and the GS took their riders off to camp somewhere and Gravel Guy and I meandered home managing to avoid a significant amount of pavement. We encountered a number of deer camps in full swing, horseback riders on another road, and a rodeo or something like it just before crossing the Navasota River.

Upon reaching Bryan the chill was beginning to set in and we abandoned the last bit of the planned route in favor of high-tailing on home, splitting off around Old Dime Box to go our separate ways.

What a great day for a ride! The shortcut turned a 240 mile round-trip into 390 miles. A booming success, as these patented shortcuts so often are.

I tried to take a picture of all the bikes in front of the court house but ended up having to take three to get them all in.

I couldn't be there to take any photos, so I stitched it for you. Unfortunately the stitching process cropped out someone walking in the street in the left photo. Sorry whomever you are. I hope more photos get posted.

i-cjDX3S4.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't made a pie run in a long time. Had fun meeting good people. Some of the pictures I took.
e5anu2ed.jpg
e3y4y5em.jpg
9esyre6a.jpg
3y8uvaju.jpg
ryzesana.jpg
hugetepu.jpg

Sent from one of the voices in my head. I just don't know which one...

anahavy4.jpg
2ujeda8a.jpg
yva3yge8.jpg

I rode back through Trinity on the way home and managed to make a PGR mission as well. Busy day.

Sent from one of the voices in my head. I just don't know which one...

Met up with a wild bunch in Rockdale, well, "wild" in the sense that they were crazy enough to follow me on one of my shortcuts. In attendance were a KLR, Strom, GS Boxer, and a Tiger.

Now, I really intended it to be an all pavement route there. Really, I did. Google's satellite photos are so often difficult to discern between asphalt and dirt. So, the route did end up on maybe thirty or so miles of gravel/dirt along the way. Everybody indicated a good time was had. Though Gravel Guy did get some dust on his new jacket and seemed crestfallen over this. Said he was tempted to turn around and go straight home to wash the KLR and the jacket as soon as he could. ;-)

Wow, what a crowd at Crockett! There were a ton of bikes that had the Court House surrounded. Several riders took a chance and occupied the Reserved for County Judge space for the short time we were there. We crossed our fingers the judge wouldn't be in over the lunch hour on a Saturday. The bikes were found as we left them after our respite for victuals and pie.

The Strom and the GS took their riders off to camp somewhere and Gravel Guy and I meandered home managing to avoid a significant amount of pavement. We encountered a number of deer camps in full swing, horseback riders on another road, and a rodeo or something like it just before crossing the Navasota River.

Upon reaching Bryan the chill was beginning to set in and we abandoned the last bit of the planned route in favor of high-tailing on home, splitting off around Old Dime Box to go our separate ways.

What a great day for a ride! The shortcut turned a 240 mile round-trip into 390 miles. A booming success, as these patented shortcuts so often are.

About 350 miles for this old tractor.....was wonderful seeing Scott, Camilo, Leon, Thomas, Lee, Tom, meeting James and Mike for the first time. Good sandwich and pie, and compliments to Jerry for doing a great job in the gravel on a fully loaded strom!! :clap: Thank you Mototex for leading there and back...:zen:
pic1- Moosehead and KLR sporting the new IH red paintjob.
pic2-Mototex and the pretty tiger......
pic3-the show.....thank you Lord for this day and another sunset from behind the handlebars.....and for directing that Rockdale cop around both Mototex and I and onto bigger and better prey!
:sun:

Attachments

• mooshead.jpg
    mooshead.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 172
  • motomoosehead.jpg
    motomoosehead.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 183
  • sunset122813.jpg
    sunset122813.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
pic1- Moosehead and KLR sporting the new IH red paintjob....

Hey Mark, I didn't see the KLR in person, but I did notice it sure looked purty in the pics. :mrgreen: We had a nice, cool ride to/from Louisiana and a good lunch with great folks. Sorry I didn't have time to visit with everyone.

Hey Mark, I didn't see the KLR in person, but I did notice it sure looked purty in the pics. :mrgreen: We had a nice, cool ride to/from Louisiana and a good lunch with great folks. Sorry I didn't have time to visit with everyone.

I loved your new GS/hack.....what a sweet purposeful ride! :sun:
In person it's prettier than in pictures! :rider:

Soooo, want to go. Arg, this to-do list over the holidays, what was I thinking...

It was really cool meeting you Mark, Leon and some others I can't remember their names. I'm terrible with names though I never forget a face. It's funny, I was talking with some fellow about how much I liked the Guzzi parked across the street and wanted to ask the owner if they would let me ride it (kidding) and it turned out to be his! I didn't mean to put him on the spot like that. :doh:

Good meet, chilly but clear weather so nice day for a ride. Cameron and I took a more interesting route headed home, Hwy 315 to Chandler. Practically had the road to ourselves so got to wick it up a bit. Cam got some GoPro footage, wish I had it to post up. I made 5 runs this year, maybe do better in '14.

Good meet, chilly but clear weather so nice day for a ride. Cameron and I took a more interesting route headed home, Hwy 315 to Chandler. Practically had the road to ourselves so got to wick it up a bit. Cam got some GoPro footage, wish I had it to post up. I made 5 runs this year, maybe do better in '14.

if you only make one for 2014 I recommend you make it to the Medina one, and take a couple days off and bring the Shiver!:rider:

I made a slide show of my shots yesterday, about seven minutes, seasonal music accompanies.

The best image is the very last one - wait for it, it's worth it.
Sorry, still no pie...

Very nice! :clap: Thanks for posting.

I made a slide show of my shots yesterday, about seven minutes, seasonal music accompanies.

The best image is the very last one - wait for it, it's worth it.

Regular size, 102Mb:
http://rwashburn.com/PIERUNS/2013_12_28_Crockett/pierun_dec2013_big.wmv

Good res phone size, 32Mb:
http://rwashburn.com/PIERUNS/2013_12_28_Crockett/pierun_dec2013_cell.mp4

Itty bitty low res phone size, 7Mb:
http://rwashburn.com/PIERUNS/2013_12_28_Crockett/pierun_dec2013_smartph.wmv

Sorry, still no pie...

Nice!!!

Back