• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

December Dirt Days...The Aftermath

I thought I would go ahead and post these few pictures and a couple more video clips while I edit the video from the camcorder.

I was a little late arriving Saturday night so this is the first thing I see.

fire8kp4.jpg

We were gazing into the flames while being serenaded by a pack of coyotes. Shortly after the first number performed by the coyotes we listened to the new hit performed by the Basset Hounds. Seems the coyotes must have been caught off guard by a second group of serenaders and didn't perform again for a few minutes. But not to be out done by them dawgs the coyotes performed 3 or four more melodies for us which usually was followed by the Basset Hound version of the same number.

fire6bp6.jpg

Don't know what it was but seemed most everyone wanted a picture of the log disk
fire3ze2.jpg

Of course if you are going to have a "camp meeting" you need someone to do the preaching...............forget his topic but seems like it had something to do with sliding down a Northeast Texas road.
aroundthefire3jg6.jpg

I'm not sure but Ken may be sneaking up on Alex as a payback from the bottlerocket incident :rofl: That one caught us all off guard. Seems there was an empty Dr. Pepper bottle with the cap on it that was dropped in the fire to see what kind of shape it would take when it melted..............well it didn't melt, it took flight between two chairs :eek2: that were occuppied at the time.
aroundthefire2ai3.jpg

Then came Sunday morning and we began the days as we ended Saturday, with a camp fire and were once again serenaded by the wildlife. Instead of coyotes this time it was a flock of geese but they were just passing thru and didn't stop for a second number.
aroundthefire6vn6.jpg

After a quick lesson of the brakes on the KTM 50 being hand brakes and no foot brake, we see Pops grandson once again taking a spin on the KTM

th_MOV01964.jpg

We did do a little riding Sunday morning. Here is Thumper at the Camelback.

th_MOV01965.jpg

More videos from the Camelback and Double Dip to follow when I get them edited (converted from analog) to digital. Also the video behind the "I see pretty colors" quote, his Mom wasn't too pleased with seeing that one.

I had a great day riding the woods Saturday also. I was a little apprehensive about riding the 520 in close proximity to immovable objects (trees). It turned out to be easier to ride than anticipated. Although I’m still so sore that it was hard too put my socks on this morning, I had a blast! OT is a great place to ride.
As I was telling my wife about my day it occurred to me what an impact the internet has made in our lives. Here I am in the middle of nowhere having a fantastic time off road riding with a guy from Japan, South Africa, and where ever Faisal is from. How cool is that? I didn’t really get to put very many faces with names this trip buy that’s the way woods riding is. Maybe next time Tim will show me that fence line.

Thanks again to Matt for putting this together, the OT members for letting us in, and the Friday clan for dinner.
Hugh:rider:

Tourmeister said:
I forgot to mention... I NEED a dirt bike :twisted:
Nah, it can be done on a Killer... :trust:

Me and Tony at SHNF
(reduce the size for best image)

Sounds like ya'll had fun. Our ride went great, I forgot how much fun singletracking is; so much fun we only broke out the video cam twice in about 40 miles. I definitely plan to attend the next 'Dirt Day' event...

kstrs said:
It was great meeting y'all, looking forward to next time when I can ride with some of you since I was the late guy both days & missed all the fun.

Should've just slept in the truck, and you would have been already there and ready to go in the morning! ;-)

Have I mentioned I'm sore?
So sore that it took a HUGE effort to get downstairs this morning. Every step was painful and torturous. Slept like a baby last night, though! :-P

Squeaky said:
Should've just slept in the truck, and you would have been already there and ready to go in the morning! ;-)

Have I mentioned I'm sore?
So sore that it took a HUGE effort to get downstairs this morning. Every step was painful and torturous. Slept like a baby last night, though! :-P

I have to say you are a real trooper. I had no idea how hard your fall was after 'the jump' - I did a similar manuever on the 100 two weeks ago, but managed to stay upright. When I fall, I usually pack it in and just wait until they are ready to go home. I usually have one fall per visit, so maybe your dues is paid up now. After the first time we went with the DRZ I was sore the rest of the week and I only fell once.

Also, I would like to recognize Jeff for his participation in the expert fire building you are all crediting me with, he got it started. If not for him, I'd still be there trying to light up three pine needles and a leaf.

Sorry I missed the pop bottle rocket, sounded like fun (if you weren't in the way.)

I didn't realize there were that many TWT members there. Like everyone else, everytime we came in there were different arrangements of groups heading back out.

Hugh, the fenceline really is good lap. You'd enjoy it.:trust: CeeBee and I covered most of the trails and rode the fence in acouple of sections. I finally had it figured out and made the entire run a few times. I wound up in some sections that hadn't been ridden in quite a while. Lot's of stuff to bounce off of.:lol2:

Here's all I got off my camera. Messed up a couple of good shots.:doh:
Squeaky;

th_HPIM0408.jpg

MoPower;

th_HPIM0407-1.jpg

Matt;

th_HPIM0409.jpg

I went out there to spectate but wound up riding a bit myself. TM & his dad Vernon had brought the quads out there. Scott took me as a passenger on the lush breast. I had to remind myself to relax & not be so stiff armed on the back. After a while I started rodeo-ing & using just one hand to hold on which allowed me to move with the bumps. :flip:

Scott was really impressive on the quad manuevering through so pretty tight spots. John "Irondawg" was hot on our tail through one of the trails. I think he really enjoyed the mud holes & he had a pretty tall rooster tail aimed right for us in one of them. Luckily Scott was paying attention & waited for him to get through it so we weren't covered in mud. Some of the descents & inclines that Scott went through I wouldn't dream of going through myself. :shock: One in particular, Scott came up to, evaluated the drop, backed up & said, "I need you to lean back as far as you can." I'm pretty sure I whooped in excitement once we were on level ground.

Later Squeaky & I rode together on one of the quads with her in the driver's seat & then myself driving later. We were giggling & squealing the whole time. :haha: We kept banging helmets as we were trying to talk to talk to each other.

Georgia allowed me to ride the 100 which I enjoyed immensely. :rider: I started to follow Squeaky on Matt's 250 when a car came into our path (some people were out there mowing) & she stopped for them. I saw that they weren't moving so I went around them & took off. I then realized that I didn't have a clue where I was going or what I was doing so I waved Rusty "Woodbutcher" around to take the lead. He first took us around an easy loop & stopped to ask if my back tire got squirrelly in the sand. I told him I didn't feel a thing & then he asked if we wanted to do a little more. I said yes & we (Squeaky & Alex) continued on through another trail. We hit a few mud holes which I went around if I could. I remembered STrider telling Squeaky she didn't have to follow him through everything. My first stint on a dirt bike was awesome & I managed to keep it up with no problems. That little bike is great & I can actually touch the ground. I'll try to post my pics tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone who organized this, all the people who lent their bikes/ATV & to Beth for cooking up some yummy food. :thumb:

Snoopster said:
Scott took me as a passenger on the lush breast. I had to remind myself to relax & not be so stiff armed on the back. After a while I started rodeo-ing & using just one hand to hold on which allowed me to move with the bumps. :flip:

I plead the Fifth... I have no recollection of what she is talking about... :mrgreen:

Hi, all!

It was great, great ride! Thank you for planning, inviting, helping and feeding!
The weather was perfect while riding. The trail was tricky enough to entertain you for the two days, and still I feel I want to come back and ride more!

I did not take many pictures this time, but here are some...

Caravan to OT from King's
1.jpg

Got to the camp site. This is after the first ride.
2.jpg

4.jpg

I kind of missed the first ride, since the bike engine did not run quick enough. Then Georgia's family arrived a little later and I joined them to ride. Thanks for saving my morning!

This is right before the 2nd ride. I had my camera with me this time.
5.jpg

In the trail...
6.jpg

7.jpg

Went across creeks, rode bottom of creeks... A lot of them!
8.jpg

Pond near the 3-mile creek
9.jpg

Taking a little break.
10.jpg

11.jpg

vfrhugh led us for the 2nd ride. His KTM520 supposed to be heavy, but he was handling it like 250 bike.
STrider led me after I had engine starting problems and had been left behind.
Thanks!
12.jpg

This is NOT where we rode...
13.jpg

but here!
14.jpg

No more pics this time, though, I will post the test result of my new toy(helmet cam) later...

Thanks!
Ken

Texas Dr said:
STrider led me after I had engine starting problems and had been left behind.

t'is a fine line between "leading" and "trying to stay out of the way". Oh, and great pics, Ken. Now, where's Sleepy Weasel when you need him?

more remembrances -

- Ken had some minor struggles with starting his 250 at first. So I showed him my very technical procedure of messing with it till it works. After that, he was able to get mine started on the first kick after I did everything short of a warming massage. By the end of the weekend, we were starting each other's bikes better than our own.

- Squeaky had apparently had some prior experience in trying to kick start. This seems to have not gone well. So after the "abridged" version of the start procedure instruction, she set into kicking. It looked a lot like when you hit that spot right behind a dog's ear and their leg just starts going. By the end of the weekend though, she was routinely getting it going in 1 or 2 kicks. Good job, Squeakster. (She also did the Camel Back on the 250, and got the BRP up to speed on a return loop.)

- Jeff (pokey mon) fought the WR's a whole bunch to get them going. He was not thrilled to learn it never took me more than 1 kick. There is definitely a technique to it.

Last edited:
STrider said:
- Squeaky had apparently had some prior experience in trying to kick start. This seems to have not gone well. So after the "abridged" version of the start procedure instruction, she set into kicking. It looked a lot like when you hit that spot right behind a dog's ear and their leg just starts going. By the end of the weekend though, she was routinely getting it going in 1 or 2 kicks. Good job, Squeakster.

Well, I still don't totally understand the mechanicals of kick starting (please don't attempt to explain it, I'll skim that paragraph anyway) but I did start to get the routine down. After it flooded, it wasn't easy at all - and for some reason every time I landed it was on my right, so I was in no shape to try it myself. Luckily, there was always someone there to help - usually Matt, but almost everyone stepped in to help at one time or another. :clap:

STrider said:
(She also did the Camel Back on the 250, and got the BRP up to speed on a return loop.)

Yeah, but when I saw the video Tony posted, it wasn't nearly as impressive looking as it felt while I was doing it. There was some serious teeth clenching and fear to overcome there. After I did the Camel Back once, I figured I should do it again just to say I did. Taking the big pig back was a fluke - Matt had moved my helmet and gloves off the 250 and put them on the 650, so I went over to gear back up and just automatically sat down on it.

Matt: "You know you're on the 650?"
Me: "No, it's where my helmet was. They're both red."
Matt: "Well, you can ride it back if you want but don't take it out of first gear."
Me: "You sure? Maybe I should just switch with you."
Matt: "Nah, you'll be fine. Much lighter than a VStrom!"

And that it was. Lucky for me, we only had a hundred yards or so of trail before we got to the road. I decided that if I could take my Strom on this that I could at least get the BRP up into second gear. Weeeee! :rider:

Matt, has your wife become so jealous of all the fun that she wants to go out and ride now? :trust:

After several attempts to repair my video creator program I gave up and did it manually, sort of. It took a little trial and error with the cameras pause button and the computers record button but I finally have some clips of the Sunday ride or the play locations.

Here is Matt, Alex and Kyle at Double Dip.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2154305302176818649&hl=en

This is the video that lead to Kyle's quote, "I see pretty colors" that Matt posted about earlier. :eek2:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8330564743552823118&hl=en
As he was looking at the sky he was seeing all kinds of colors, blue sky, green pine trees, various shades of other leafs and the riding gear of everyone on top of the hill. Or at least that is one way he told the story. The others were he was seeing stars.

The bikes back up and running and Kyle is back on top of the hill so it was time for me to play a little and Matt was up for a few more passes.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=819798862514455567&hl=en

It's hard to keep a good rider down, Kyle does Double Dip again, sort of.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5563434500228144724&hl=en

Ken came along for a try at Double Dip.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1140075988767722216&hl=en

And of course our video camera operator couldn't be left out of the fun.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4857225621874088562&hl=en

It was time for Matt and crew to start loading up so I lead them back to camp, Kyle and Alex headed for some more fun at Camelback.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2571702679757116977&hl=en

After I made it back to Camelback, a family that was not a part of the TWT group came riding by so I got the on video also, hope they don't mind.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6905384692855528934&hl=en

Alex playing at Camelback.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3426530560849278047&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1920409140896693801&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1393126118577716573&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6874089511169746331&hl=en

Pops and Dan come by Camelback.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2602611621658498826&hl=en

Followed by Robbie and Kelly
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2257268717266572568&hl=en

I would like to take this time to thank Pops, Dan and Alex for all they did on Saturday to make this a good ride. I wish I could have been there but I had to work and did not realize I had already agreed to work Saturday for one of the others to get off for another motorcycle ride when Matt suggested the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd. Next time I will check my calander a little better before I agree to a swap but then again I needed a swap so I could attend the MSRA Christmas Party.

Each of you deserve a big thank you also for making this such a great weekend for us. I had a blast and I'm looking forward to the next time we can all get together for a little "DIRTY" :trust: fun.

I was asked by a couple of folks for more information on membership so I will take this time to give you the link to MSRA. http://www.msra-cycle.org/MSRA is the club that maintains the trails at Outlaw Trax and you can join Outlaw Trax thru MSRA. Or you can join Outlaw Trax thru Outlaw Trax web site http://www.outlawtrax.com/ Each membership has it's advantages and disadvantages. If you would like to discuss the two, email or PM me and I will discuss them with you one on one. If you would like to see what is going on at Outlaw Trax check out the MSRA-TON forum at http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_php/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=dirtbike_msra_public

Once again, I had a blast meeting and riding with the Sunday crowd. Matt you did great in getting this to come together so well. I'm looking forward to seeing Ken's helmet cam videos and the other pictures that haven't been posted yet. Keep'em coming. :rider:

That head whack Alex took looked pretty tough! I know from experience that you don't have to hit real hard to have your bell rung pretty good! Tough kid!

This brought back memories of dirt days that had slipped my mind , Being able to get out of bed without hurting allover ,on Wedensday morning . SEYA

Did y'all have sound with the video clips when you viewed them? They had sound when I posted them but I just checked a couple of them and got no sound.

Squeaky & STrider

She appears to be a bit crooked already

Group taking a break between runs

I caught Squeaky in her ducky pants

Irondawg stopping to check out the deer. Can you spot the buck?

Did Squeaky’s bike need to be kickstarted????

Tourmeister & I on the beast

Discussing the days ride around the fire

Snoopster said:
I caught Squeaky in her ducky pants

That's just wrong. If I had noticed those ducks on her pants I wouldn't have let her ride my yellow bike.

Well, here are my photos. None of anybody riding.

Relaxing and waiting for food:
PC020019.jpg

PC020020.jpg

Ah, food time. Check out the reflective safety clothes for around the campfire.

PC020021.jpg

PC020022.jpg

WoodButcher said:
That's just wrong. If I had noticed those ducks on her pants I wouldn't have let her ride my yellow bike.

Your bike will never live this down, that picture will be my new wallpaper. But really, if you think about it, it's kind of appropriate for someone wearing ducky pants to be riding a yellow bike. If it makes you feel better, next time we'll let her scoot around on the 100 in them.

Snoopster said:
Rusty ..... do you have something against ducks?:phead:

Hmm, they are my daughter's favorite critter, but I'd rather be riding a Duc than a duck. Too often I think of it as a BYP(big yellow pig) and now another animal association? I think there may be more black plastic in my DRZ's future.

Back