• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

December in Big Bend 2008/2009 Report

Dang it! I see the error of my ways!

If this works, I'll quit for today! :lol2:

449331977_QBRNG-M.jpg

449480463_cKoNW-M.jpg

I used to get jealous about females ,but now I think it is worse when I miss a ride , dang I hate it when there is a ride and I cant be there .Hope yall had fun . See ya at Uncles ride .
Rick M
Hectic pace!

Sure had fun! It was nice to see some of you again and meet some new folks too. Here are a few shots from my camera:

Bikes packed and ready to roll out in a sleet/rain mix after a nice stay at Joe's (jfink) "one two nine."

IMG_7045.jpg

Catching Michale roll out on his Juno AK to Illinois ride. We later caught up with him in Alpine when we made a loop to Marfa to see Ronnie's friend that is building a nightclub.

IMG_7046.jpg

Busy day at the springs.

IMG_7051.jpg

Morning sky off Uncle's back porch.

IMG_7061.jpg

Some prehistoric calling cards in Ernst Tanaja.

IMG_7069.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

IMG_7071.jpg

Sunset on the Chisos.

IMG_7076.jpg

Tried to get a shot of Ronnie crossing Terlingua Creek but camera was in video mode so I got this instead.

th_MVI_7064.jpg

Had an absolutely amazing time down there. Had some amazing rides, saw some awesome scenery and most importantly hung with just a great group of folks. Special THANKS to Roger for sharing his little bit of paradise for 15 days.

Here is the link to my photos.
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/Calgary-Yogi/081219-BigBend/
They are all full size so that folks can download them if they want.

a couple of our shots
443913068_WiJ5N-L.jpg

443912989_ArLSq-L.jpg

442725627_NJoEy-L.jpg

442733165_3wJux-L.jpg

442732630_eetbn-L.jpg

riding slow two up wife on the back shot some pictures

<object width=425 height=318><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT00NDI5NTkyNTMmaz1zS3lFQyZhPTY5MTkxNTVfZURDalMmdT15c3I2MTImZT0x" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=aT00NDI5NTkyNTMmaz1zS3lFQyZhPTY5MTkxNTVfZURDalMmdT15c3I2MTImZT0x" width=425 height=318 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Last edited:
just use part of the code surrounded by flash in brackets:

{flash}http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf{/flash}

but subtitute hard brackets [ ] for the fancy ones { }

thanks

now I want to know if you see a bike

I have two computers up one has the bike movie and the other has my cousin playing the pipes at a family reunion.

Last edited:
looks like Wayne's carb session at Mike's tech day here.

looks like Wayne's carb session at Mike's tech day here.

never been to that. do people play the pipes there, or do I have yet another of my random movies up.

the computer that I am logged in on and running ME has a pic of me riding in sand in Big Bend. The one that I am lurking on running XP has a movie of my cousin piping.

hmmm sorry im not getting it to play

updated flash player and shockwave, think it may be the latter

the embedded files really slow down the pages as they load, so a link to the movie may be better

Had fun, nice meeting everyone, and boy was my *** tired by the time I pulled into the house. I just got around to posting my pics to flickr yesterday.

3179166935_778916dfa0.jpg

3172013513_ea9367808d.jpg

Changed the oil on the Wee and took off the engine guard last night. It's banged up but I think I can beat it back into shape. I may go out to General Sam's offroad park this weekend too, who knows when I'll have the knobbies back on again.

Here's a link to my photos:
http://flickr.com/photos/synapticburn/sets/72157612168539555/

Nice to meet you Ronnie. For those reading, the dirt roads in the park were Ronnie's first real offroad riding...and on a wee-strom at that. Old Maverick road a couple of times. Some of Glen Springs and River Road east, if I remember correctly. Plus, he and Desert Skies road out to BB. Had some sleet on the ride out too. A real adventure.

Nice to meet you Ronnie. For those reading, the dirt roads in the park were Ronnie's first real offroad riding...and on a wee-strom at that. Old Maverick road a couple of times. Some of Glen Springs and River Road east, if I remember correctly. Plus, he and Desert Skies road out to BB. Had some sleet on the ride out too. A real adventure.

Yeah, we even got to take in Old Ore and some stuff behind the Ghost Town and down around the Hilton too. He did real good for a newb. :thumb:

Yeah, we even got to take in Old Ore and some stuff behind the Ghost Town and down around the Hilton too. He did real good for a newb. :thumb:

Yeah only two drops but I landed on my feet both times! Of course there were a few close calls as well, but it's easy to learn something when you're having fun. The Wee really is a great all-around bike, the other than the engine and handguards, the only real mod it had was the TKC's.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd prefer to have a faster smaller bike next time, and maybe even bring some more creature comforts by trailering out too.

I was down there during x-mas. The river road was a blast. I lost 40 lbs. since last time I road and my XR650R is way stiff now. The bike would not turn. Still had fun! Going back next weekend to visit friends in Alpine.

+1 on BB River road , I thought I would check it out to see how bad it looked , It was so much fun I rode it all the way and didn't stop once for pictures . One silt bed had truck tracks entering from both sides till they buryied up and winched out , it was fun dancing accross the pristine center and not leaving any tracks . I wish I had stopped for a picture at that one .

Pilate if that was you riding with the guy on the 990 it was good meeting you and I ended up riding behind you on RR that day . SEYA

DSC00356.jpg

This trip I think I did more walking and talking to people than I did riding the actual bikes.

DSC00376.jpg

Exploring by foot gets one even closer to the land than two wheels do.

DSC00378.jpg

Of course there was still a great deal of excellent riding enjoyed.

DSC00381.jpg

Bike repairs were done as needed and as spare parts allowed.

DSC00405.jpg

My XR suffered a busted rack on a rough road. In removing that to ride light I discovered that the air box tabs were busted off too. The only thing holding the air box in place was the rubber boot on the carb, This bike was done for the trip at that point.

DSC00407.jpg

More pics.... less words......

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00472.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

+1 on BB River road , I thought I would check it out to see how bad it looked , It was so much fun I rode it all the way and didn't stop once for pictures . One silt bed had truck tracks entering from both sides till they buryied up and winched out , it was fun dancing accross the pristine center and not leaving any tracks . I wish I had stopped for a picture at that one .

Pilate if that was you riding with the guy on the 990 it was good meeting you and I ended up riding behind you on RR that day . SEYA

That was not me. I did see the 990 parked in study butte. We passed by those guys going to Rio Grande Village. The park is getting popular. Passed people in cars on Black Gap road.

That was not me. I did see the 990 parked in study butte. We passed by those guys going to Rio Grande Village. The park is getting popular. Passed people in cars on Black Gap road.

Anyone recall what kind of SUV that was that we saw getting towed off Black Gap last Feb? Something about losing the oil pan :eek2: :lol2: :doh: Some people really believe the commercials they see on TV!

Anyone recall what kind of SUV that was that we saw getting towed off Black Gap last Feb? Something about losing the oil pan :eek2: :lol2: :doh: Some people really believe the commercials they see on TV!

Honda Ridgeline

Honda Ridgeline

I built a skid plate for a Toyota car for someone in Alpine. Blew up his motor twice from rocks hitting the oil pan. I will not take a vehicle down any of the crappy roads unless it is a real 4x4 with a frame and 4/low. I have dented 1/4" steel skid plates on ranch roads and creek crossings down there. It really sucks when you high center your Z-71 and there is nothing to attach a Warn M-12000 winch to. A Jeep type vehicle with at least a rear locker and 33" tires will get you down most legal roads in Big Bend wet or dry. Black Gap wildlife area requires A really good rig to feel safe. Jeep with lockers both ends, on board air, tire plugs, good spare tire, tools, winch ect.. My buddy had to use a sat phone when he got his Toyota 4x4 stuck down there. Two park ranger 4x4 trucks could not pull him out. It took a winch and a capable 4x4 to get him out. The funny thing is the decked out Jeep that was used to get him out is stored in his garage with the owners full permission to use it any time! I also store my non street legal rockcrawler Jeep at his house as well.

Back