• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Demo'ed a Couple Zero Motorcycles Today

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
Since the weather wasn't that great, I decided to run up to Eurosport Cycle and demo their Zero Motorcyles.

First I rode the DS/ZF14.4, then the FX/ZF7.2.

I should have looked more closely at the specs. I was thinking these two bikes would be underpowered for me, man was I wrong.

The DS/ZF14.4 makes 60 hp and 81 ft-lbs of torque
The FX/ZF7.2 makes 46 hp and 78 ft-lbs of torque

By comparison:
The Africa Twin makes 94 hp and 72 ft-lbs of torque
The NC700X has 51 hp and 46 ft-lbs of torque
The VFR1200X makes 127 hp and 93 ft-lbs of torque

In sport mode, both the DS and FX models took off like a shot. I wasn't expecting that kinda of acceleration at all. They were in the same ball park as my AT in terms of acceleration. Which surprised the **** out of me. That made me want to ride the "R" models that put out 116 ft-lbs of torque, but they didn't have any there.

The ride experience was a lot like the DCT experience except with much less perceivable noise. Basically sounded like a golf cart from what I could tell, but most of what I heard was wind. It was cold, so I had my visor down on a modular helmet so not a ton of noise.

The experience tempted me to buy one, but I fear the novelty would wear off quickly and make for a hard bike to flip. Fun to ride though.

South Tex

Forum Supporter
What kinda range do they have? Can you charge them with a regular 110 outlet? More info please. And before anyone else says it, I’ll be the first that’s surprised you did’nt buy!

misterk

Forum Supporter
Since the weather wasn't that great, I decided to run up to Eurosport Cycle and demo their Zero Motorcyles.

First I rode the DS/ZF14.4, then the FX/ZF7.2.

I should have looked more closely at the specs. I was thinking these two bikes would be underpowered for me, man was I wrong.

The DS/ZF14.4 makes 60 hp and 81 ft-lbs of torque
The FX/ZF7.2 makes 46 hp and 78 ft-lbs of torque

By comparison:
The Africa Twin makes 94 hp and 72 ft-lbs of torque
The NC700X has 51 hp and 46 ft-lbs of torque
The VFR1200X makes 127 hp and 93 ft-lbs of torque

In sport mode, both the DS and FX models took off like a shot. I wasn't expecting that kinda of acceleration at all. They were in the same ball park as my AT in terms of acceleration. Which surprised the **** out of me. That made me want to ride the "R" models that put out 116 ft-lbs of torque, but they didn't have any there.

The ride experience was a lot like the DCT experience except with much less perceivable noise. Basically sounded like a golf cart from what I could tell, but most of what I heard was wind. It was cold, so I had my visor down on a modular helmet so not a ton of noise.

The experience tempted me to buy one, but I fear the novelty would wear off quickly and make for a hard bike to flip. Fun to ride though.
you should have bought one, you only have until march to get to bike #6 in a year :)

Yea, what you also forgot was how the power is made. Your bikes power you quote is spun up at maximum. When you start rolling on the throttle the bike isn't making that kind of power. Electric is ready to give you max power from the moment you start twisting. Crazy stuff. It's the future, and as the tech improves, I get more and more excited.

South Tex

Forum Supporter
Don’t remember the manufacture but saw a full on electric dirt bike that comes with all the suspension goodys. I think it was good for an hour with a pro rider. I should get two or three weeks outa a charge.

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
What kinda range do they have? Can you charge them with a regular 110 outlet? More info please. And before anyone else says it, I’ll be the first that’s surprised you did’nt buy!
Range sucks. Depending how you ride and the model, it's like 50 to 200 miles. Then 6-8 hours to recharge on a 110 wall outlet. Unless you get a quick charger for $600 then it's like 1 to 2 hours.

Some models charge at the electric car stations as well.

I don't think I'm going to pony up the money anytime real soon but I'm interested. Most of the year I ride to work. That's 18 miles one way and obviously 36 round trip. Five possible stops along the way but otherwise just cruising 60-65 mph on FM roads.

I'm guessing for me then, 2 days/72 miles between charges and plug the bike in overnight on 110 so you're good to go the next morning. A little riding around the area for fun from time to time but mainly saving miles on the petrol bike(s). Maintenance is almost non existent on the electric, mostly just tires. For somebody who has multiple bikes anyhow and similar needs to mine I think it could make a lot of sense.

I need to get down there and try them out too. Thanks for the report Jarrett.
P.S. which modular did you get?

Sounds like a couple of cool bikes. My question is what is the expected battery life in terms of duty cycles?

What is the cost of a new battery pack?

Sounds like a couple of cool bikes. My question is what is the expected battery life in terms of duty cycles?

That's my main worry. I try to take care of my battery powered stuff. Charge fully than run till dead. With these electric bikes, Especially commuting I don't see being able to do that while still feeling safe with the range I'd have.

Gets cheaper all the time. You can get some refurb batteries for a Prius for between $1000-$2000. There's some videos on Youtube how to change them, it's not hard, but a bout 1873 bolts that need removed, but pretty easy overall. Still, that's at about a hundred thousand miles or more probably, and if you figure maintenance at that time on a gas engine, it's not that expensive really. And, like I said before, the more they hit the market the better, more reliable, longer lasting, and less expensive they'll become. Don't compare them to your electric drill where the tool company is really a battery company. :D

I did a demo ride at the motorcycle show, but I’d really like to try a full power one (they were limited to 12mph). The range wouldn’t be an issue for me on one of the higher spec models, but the cost is still just too high. I’d like to go electric, but the bang for the buck just isn’t there yet.

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
P.S. which modular did you get?
Neotec 2 with the Sena SRL deal. I like the helmet alot, jury is still out on the SRL.

If you didn't already have so much invested in the scooters, I could see one of these bikes being right up your alley for commuting and playing around on the dirt roads.

My question is what is the expected battery life in terms of duty cycles?

The dealer said the batteries are spec'ed to run 300,000 miles. Not sure how much a new one is. I think for the modular setups, they were like $2200 maybe? Not sure really.
Despite having less power on paper, it was the more fun of the two bikes to ride, imo.

That's between the DS 14.4 and the FX 7.2. The FX made only gave up 3 ft-lbs. of torque, but it was 124 lbs lighter than the DS 14.4 which gave it a more playful feel.

Both of them had rather surprising levels of acceleration which made them a blast on the city streets or jumping on the highway. I had the most fun seeing how fast I could get going between one stopsign and the next one at the end of the block on the FX. I assume the FXS with the supermoto setup would be even more fun in town.

But at the end of the day, they are pretty **** expensive at this point and have a very short range with long refill times. If I lived in Dallas (or similar area) where fast recharge stations are plentiful, I'd probably get a DSR and ride the **** out of that thing.

I looked up my area on this map to see where the charge stations are around me. There is one in Waxahachie (at a coffee shop :)) and one in Italy and that's it. But up in the metroplex, they are on every corner, it seems.

Here's the map app:

https://www.plugshare.com/

With that kind of coverage, you could ride it all around and plug it in while you're off the bike.

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
That's why the alta was so enticing to me, a fully capable electric dirtbike that is as fast as a 250cc mx bike. They ran out of money, but their website shows a 2019 model? https://www.altamotors.co/redshift-exr#redshift-exr-1
The FX 7.2 I test rode (which felt like a 250 in size and weighed 289 lbs.) accelerated considerably quicker than these bikes I've owned/ridden:

CRF250L
KLR650
CB500X
XR650L
NC700X

The Zero rep said it was on par with a 450 mx bike, but I haven't ridden one of those two compare. I've followed behind a KTM 450 Dual Sport bike before and had no problem running it down during hard acceleration on my NC700X during a group ride. I feel like the Zero FX would like pull ahead of one of those in a drag race if that gives you an idea of its acceleration. It tops out at 85 mph. I had no problem passing cars on the highway on it as well.

A 2016 Zero FXS zf6.5 will do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds with 70 ft-lbs of torque.

The one I rode was a 2019 FX 7.2 with 78 ft-lbs. of torque. I assume it will do 0-60 a little quicker than 3.8 seconds.

Apparently, you can gear them to be quicker. Not sure why you'd need to though. Might be fun on the supermoto version, I guess.

BTW - that torque is adjustable. You can choose what percentage of it you want before a ride from 0-100%. So, if its raining, maybe only want 30% of it that day.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: