• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What kinda range do they have? Can you charge them with a regular 110 outlet? More info please. And before anyone else says it, I’ll be the first that’s surprised you did’nt buy!

Since the weather wasn't that great, I decided to run up to Eurosport Cycle and demo their Zero Motorcyles.

First I rode the DS/ZF14.4, then the FX/ZF7.2.

I should have looked more closely at the specs. I was thinking these two bikes would be underpowered for me, man was I wrong.

The DS/ZF14.4 makes 60 hp and 81 ft-lbs of torque
The FX/ZF7.2 makes 46 hp and 78 ft-lbs of torque

By comparison:
The Africa Twin makes 94 hp and 72 ft-lbs of torque
The NC700X has 51 hp and 46 ft-lbs of torque
The VFR1200X makes 127 hp and 93 ft-lbs of torque

In sport mode, both the DS and FX models took off like a shot. I wasn't expecting that kinda of acceleration at all. They were in the same ball park as my AT in terms of acceleration. Which surprised the **** out of me. That made me want to ride the "R" models that put out 116 ft-lbs of torque, but they didn't have any there.

The ride experience was a lot like the DCT experience except with much less perceivable noise. Basically sounded like a golf cart from what I could tell, but most of what I heard was wind. It was cold, so I had my visor down on a modular helmet so not a ton of noise.

The experience tempted me to buy one, but I fear the novelty would wear off quickly and make for a hard bike to flip. Fun to ride though.
you should have bought one, you only have until march to get to bike #6 in a year :)

Yea, what you also forgot was how the power is made. Your bikes power you quote is spun up at maximum. When you start rolling on the throttle the bike isn't making that kind of power. Electric is ready to give you max power from the moment you start twisting. Crazy stuff. It's the future, and as the tech improves, I get more and more excited.

Don’t remember the manufacture but saw a full on electric dirt bike that comes with all the suspension goodys. I think it was good for an hour with a pro rider. I should get two or three weeks outa a charge.

Ask them to throw this in with the sales price . I think its even a two-stroke!
63025_pls.jpg

I don't think I'm going to pony up the money anytime real soon but I'm interested. Most of the year I ride to work. That's 18 miles one way and obviously 36 round trip. Five possible stops along the way but otherwise just cruising 60-65 mph on FM roads.

I'm guessing for me then, 2 days/72 miles between charges and plug the bike in overnight on 110 so you're good to go the next morning. A little riding around the area for fun from time to time but mainly saving miles on the petrol bike(s). Maintenance is almost non existent on the electric, mostly just tires. For somebody who has multiple bikes anyhow and similar needs to mine I think it could make a lot of sense.

I need to get down there and try them out too. Thanks for the report Jarrett.
P.S. which modular did you get?

Sounds like a couple of cool bikes. My question is what is the expected battery life in terms of duty cycles?

What is the cost of a new battery pack?

Sounds like a couple of cool bikes. My question is what is the expected battery life in terms of duty cycles?

That's my main worry. I try to take care of my battery powered stuff. Charge fully than run till dead. With these electric bikes, Especially commuting I don't see being able to do that while still feeling safe with the range I'd have.

Some major employers provide charging stations. Free juice A windmill generator mounted on passenger seat,

Gets cheaper all the time. You can get some refurb batteries for a Prius for between $1000-$2000. There's some videos on Youtube how to change them, it's not hard, but a bout 1873 bolts that need removed, but pretty easy overall. Still, that's at about a hundred thousand miles or more probably, and if you figure maintenance at that time on a gas engine, it's not that expensive really. And, like I said before, the more they hit the market the better, more reliable, longer lasting, and less expensive they'll become. Don't compare them to your electric drill where the tool company is really a battery company. :D

I did a demo ride at the motorcycle show, but I’d really like to try a full power one (they were limited to 12mph). The range wouldn’t be an issue for me on one of the higher spec models, but the cost is still just too high. I’d like to go electric, but the bang for the buck just isn’t there yet.

Needs to come with a big honking lock cable to keep it from being ripped off while recharging

Last edited:
Back