• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Devil's Highway closed

I also agree about promoting it and getting the motorcycle fans and sport car fans to run it like the roads the folks in TN and KY have managed to promote so well. Surely Arizona has some folks in their tourism and highway departments who ride.
Promote it. More people show up. More people have accidents. More Po Po are assigned to the area to try to control the squids. No thank you.

Reactions: JMZ
Here's the details of where the 177 marker is located.

fetch?id=111968&d=1552615316.jpg

The road is actually closed about 2 miles below the 177 marker per a friend from Tucson who rode out there today. Here's his map diagram to show what's where:

40420472913_df53cd6ba1_b.jpg

Kinda closed. Morenci up to about 175 is open, and then as far as I know it's open on the top side all the way down to probably 180, but my friend Ken hasn't reported back on the north side of the ride.

So its not open as a through road from Morenci to Alpine? or it is? I was thinking of getting out there to ride it in May, but not if its closed. Words cannot express how unhappy I am with this situation.

So its not open as a through road from Morenci to Alpine? or it is? I was thinking of getting out there to ride it in May, but not if its closed. Words cannot express how unhappy I am with this situation.
It is NOT open all the way through. You can see where it is closed in the satellite image posted earlier.

US 191 Weekly Update - March 20
March 20, 2019

We have some great news to share this week. We anticipate bridge access could be restored on or around March 25. However, this date may be adjusted based on construction progress.
For the bridge to be reopened, a soil buttress (an embankment against the north bridge abutment to prevent further movement) must be installed. To expedite this work, Freeport-McMoRan redirected internal resources and began work on the buttress last week. The contracted engineers, ADOT and Freeport-McMoRan all must agree the soil buttress provides the necessary stabilization required to support traffic before the bridge can be opened.
We will send out a news release and alert to this message group as soon as the bridge opens.
While the stabilization of the bridge site should be complete soon, the actual repair work will still need to take place. The plan is to complete that work with the bridge open, but drivers may encounter occasional short delays until the repairs are done.

Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. For real-time highway conditions statewide, visit ADOT's Traveler Information Site at www.az511.gov, follow ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT) or call 511, except while driving.

Who is Freeport-McMoRan ? The mining company?

I want one of those stickers!

The tackle shop at the corner of 191 and 180 carries a lot of souvenir stuff. The Bear Wallow Cafe around the corner has some t-shirts as well as some GREAT pie.

Back