• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Devil's Highway closed

As stated above, Frank runs the Sportsman Lodge, the Tal Wi Wi is just north of Alpine and is a nice place. I'm also a fan of the Hannigan Meadow Lodge as a place to stay or a place to just stop, sit on the front porch, drink a root beer, and look for elk in the meadow across the road.

Trip Advisor's top ten (not all are in Alpine): https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29031-Alpine_Arizona-Hotels.html

Yelp's top ten: https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=hotels&find_loc=Alpine,+AZ+85920

If you want to get a little closer to Show Low before stopping, here are Trip Advisor's top ten near Greer: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g31238-Greer_Arizona-Hotels.html

US 191 bridge reopens near Morenci Mine after repairs to abutment
Brief delays are possible while mine makes long-term repairs

March 25, 2019
PHOENIX – A US 191 bridge about 7 miles north of the entrance to the Morenci Mine has reopened after work by the mine’s contractor to stabilize earth around an abutment.

In consultation with Freeport-McMoRan and its contracted engineers, the Arizona Department of Transportation determined the Coronado Bridge is safe for traffic while long-term repairs continue. Brief delays are possible.

The bridge, near milepost 177, closed Feb. 28, requiring those traveling between Morenci and Alpine to detour through western New Mexico. It was built in partnership with Freeport-McMoran, which operates the Morenci Mine.

According to Stacey Koon, General Manager-Administration Freeport-McMoRan Morenci Operations, the company was able to expedite work to reinforce the bridge abutment by redirecting internal resources.

Such a sad day to have a marvelous stretch of highway fall by the wayside due to the moneymaking opportunities of a truly huge company that doesnt care one whit about the recreational aspect of said highway. They prob see it only as a liability ...upsetting the onward progress of the mining operation

I still say the mining company should foot the bill to help keep 191 a viable alternate roadway connecting cities in eastern AZ
I remember riding north on what was US666 many years ago when I passed a car hauler headed south close to the ADOT yard below Blue Point. This is above or north of where the road gets "real fun", I wanted to go back and sell tickets because this was going to be interesting. I used to ride the beast at least twice a year. The road on the NM side is faster just not as much fun.

Promote it. More people show up. More people have accidents. More Po Po are assigned to the area to try to control the squids. No thank you.
AMR in Tucson used to have a ride up there every Fathers Day weekend and we would camp out at the campground next to Hannigan Meadow Lodge. AMR is / was a British bike shop and we rode Nortons and Triumphs with an occasional BSA. We came across a kid with a brand new sport bike who had crashed, no surprise there. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but his brand new bike was in need of repair. Fortunately we had a truck with food and beer and were able to rearrange the load and load up his bike and take him with us. We had fun walking over to the bike and shaking our heads, a bunch of older guys with old bikes poking fun at the newbie. We hauled him back to Tucson where his wife was waiting, it was ugly! Old age and treachery will over come youth and skill!

Any Update on this road? We're planning a trip out west that leaves Friday. Was wanting to run this. Need to know if its part of a route or a out and back thing.

Any Update on this road? We're planning a trip out west that leaves Friday. Was wanting to run this. Need to know if its part of a route or a out and back thing.

Here'a a press release from late March

US 191 bridge reopens near Morenci Mine after repairs to abutment

Brief delays are possible while mine makes long-term repairs

March 25, 2019

PHOENIX – A US 191 bridge about 7 miles north of the entrance to the Morenci Mine has reopened after work by the mine’s contractor to stabilize earth around an abutment.

In consultation with Freeport-McMoRan and its contracted engineers, the Arizona Department of Transportation determined the Coronado Bridge is safe for traffic while long-term repairs continue. Brief delays are possible.

The bridge, near milepost 177, closed Feb. 28, requiring those traveling between Morenci and Alpine to detour through western New Mexico. It was built in partnership with Freeport-McMoran, which operates the Morenci Mine.

According to Stacey Koon, General Manager-Administration Freeport-McMoRan Morenci Operations, the company was able to expedite work to reinforce the bridge abutment by redirecting internal resources.

Thank you sir! This trip came up all the sudden and I remembered this thread, but not the conclusion.

Back