• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Devils Tower

Dutch

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Currently in the planning phase for a Camping ride out to Devils Tower, Leaving the end of May. Anyone interested in riding along.

Cool place and there are some awesome roads around there.

End of may and first two weeks of June typically still wet and cool. July and August is awesome.

You have bear tooth pass about 4 hours to the west. It would be a shame to get that close and not witness the bear tooth. Usually opens between Memorial Day and end of June.

Will be leaving Killeen area. Like to get out of Texas on the bike before the oppressive heat begins. End of May is normally my Vacation time. Looking at 10 days or so. No hurry camping all the way. Bear Tooth Pass will be added to the adventure.

Last edited:
Definitely go late May, early June. I've been there three times (on three different bikes)... your timetable gets you ahead of family vacationers and the trip across the plains is much more bearable. Devil's Tower is awesome.

What days were you planning on, leave and return ? Were you planning on hwy, dirt, gravel, etc ? Your thoughts on your plan.

I don't remember the routes we took but it was a memorable trip with my dad. We went over the fourth of July weekend.

Attachments

• devils tower.jpg
    devils tower.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 195
I don't remember the routes we took but it was a memorable trip with my dad. We went over the fourth of July weekend.

Looking at leaving in the morning on the 29th of May taking 10 days more or less. Haven’t really mapped out a route yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done Northern Wyoming many times. 3 on the bikes and probably 4 in the car. If you start out at Devil's Tower and go directly across to Cody for the Chief Joseph/Beartooth Pass, you cross the Big Horn Mountains. They are one the prettiest and least talked about features in Wyoming. I am thinking of going sometime this year myself. If you are camping, plan on camping at the campground near the Medicine Wheel in the Big Horns. IM me if you want anymore WY details.

Its a great ride up there. I've gone up there a couple of times by bike leaving Houston area over the memorial day holiday each time. I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in Hot Springs, SD so that was my "destination" then I would meander a way back home that from points west of there.

It snowed on me more than once during the memorial day trips, so pack for "summer & winter" temps.

Been there, not adventure riding, but I was riding my road glide. It's a great place to visit and just so cool when you start seeing it from a distance. Safe travels.

I second the campground near Wagon wheel. The ride to it is great.

Ride safe. Prepare for cool and wind.

Medicine Wheel is already mapped out. Wet weather, Cold weather and heated gear laid out.

Bear Tooth pass June 10 2012. An hour after this a small avalanche tried to knock my buddy off his GS, but he made it.

Attachments

• Beartooth Pass WY.jpg
    Beartooth Pass WY.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 156
Back