• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW national cemetary

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
was out chasing DFW tag and was near the DFW national cemetary and decided I had to visit and pay my respect.

I looked for something that would catch my eye and be the perfect photo op but I am not any good at it and this is as good as I could find.

006-15.jpg

Leon,
In my opinion, it's a powerful shot. I found myself reading the service records and dates on each one that could be seen. I like the contrast, brown grass against the granite, and the flag in a stiff wind just sets it apart from another cemetery shot.

The only thing I can suggest is to see if there was a different location in the area that didn't have all the power lines in the background. All they do is detract from the harsh reality of the shot.

For the web, you could probably get away with some selective edit (photoshop) removing the lines/towers, but not sure if it would work in print form.

I agree with the power lines. Maybe try to edit them and the few light poles out?

Great shot. Well done.

The area where my dad is buried has a line of trees in the back. No flagpole though. I like the flag in the background.

I edited out the poles and the road. Sky is hard for me to do for some reason.
I will wait and see if it's ok with you for me to post it, Leon. It's your thread.

A powerful subject.
I agree with other posts about the power lines.
Since my editing skills are not as well refined as others I think I would have changed locations to shoot from.
The opening right in front between the stones makes my eye follow it.
I would like to try the same shot but moving forward from where your shot was taken to 5 stone forward where the hill drops off. Shooting over the front line of stones and used the flag that is barely visible at the end of the row. Thus eliminating the power lines from the shot.
At least I would walk back there and frame it up to see if it would work.
The brown grass gives the feeling of a cold winter day. Might be interesting to see the picture in B&W.

I hoping you don't mine an edit. What I did is crop it some. Kind of gives more of a panorama look. Unfortunately it loses the big flag in the background, but still maintains some feeling of distance in the background.

testforfocusfrenzy.jpg

Just an idea. It makes the headstones in the middle and they probably should be either higher or lower in the scene. I'm sure others can suggest more to do.

go ahead Janet I removed the poles, wires, and lights using photo bucket editing but had a real big problem matching color at one spot so it turned out with one big glaring blotch.

006-15-1.jpg

oops had changed sizing back.

thanks folks, I am going to have to keep a eye out for the grass and trees to green up. possibly on memorial day when they have all the flags up.

hmm a panoramic picture. I may have to try that. this camera did come with what is suppose to be really good software for doing that.

the Camera I used is a Canon power shot SX120is.

That is about the same place that mine is messed up. I also tool out the road and then green weeds up close. I didn't take my time like I should have.

006-15.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about the smaller pic.

thats ok you did the same thing I did and saved to your default size. :lol2:

I don't get what it is about that one spot that the sky color couldn't be matched? did you use the photobucket editing?

Back