• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dirt Riders

Yep. But unfortunately, we live in Texas. Not much "dirt" to be ridden here, so the "adventure" crowd has pretty much taken over anything off road.

Now that the forest is closed for a while we have 3 Palms and Rio. Two awesome choices thankfully in the Houston area to keep the cob webs away. Oh and Ultimate in Alvin is nice too.

I watched some video of 3 Palms yesterday and other than the SX type track it did look fun. I need to go on a day when it has a light crowd. My last trip to Rio was skeery, kept expecting to get jumped on by the fast guys. I am old and increasingly timid on a track. Also saw some video of the Sam H and was amazed at how it was grown up with underbrush, lots of totally blind corners. Have totally lost my riding fitness in the last 1.5 years and if I don't get it back soon may have to call it a day.

We should go putt around Sandstone sometime. I'm not anywhere near fast anymore, but that's OK.

At the rate it has been raining of late you might want to take up swamp buggy racing as a hobby... :-P

Yep I visit all the time, we had a great day about 45 miles of singletrack at Zars this past Monday we ride there most every weekend

we have a great group of mid 50s-early 60s guys and a few young bucks that ride single track with us most weekends a few of us
bring out the trials bikes a few times a month as well just to see who can find the most entertaining way to fall when going slow

Sandstone is a.pretty nice riding area, some elevation change, roots, mud not typically crowded when I've been, but it is a little out of the way, however, no more so than anywhere else for us Irish.

I watched some video of 3 Palms yesterday and other than the SX type track it did look fun. I need to go on a day when it has a light crowd. My last trip to Rio was skeery, kept expecting to get jumped on by the fast guys. I am old and increasingly timid on a track. Also saw some video of the Sam H and was amazed at how it was grown up with underbrush, lots of totally blind corners. Have totally lost my riding fitness in the last 1.5 years and if I don't get it back soon may have to call it a day.
Regarding riding tracks.... Safety in numbers .... when the fast guys see 3-5 old slow guys pull on they give us plenty of room.

The Sam Houston Nation Forest trails have many blind corners, 90% sand😎, large roots, whoops 2-3 deep for miles, still an awesome place when open.

Couple notes on 3 Palms - they tore down the SX track, it not now part of the kids track. It was there for the SX riders last year. Regarding the fun..... the GP Track is the most popular with one mild whoop section and 10 table tops; River Track is sweet - 6 table tops and 2 safe doubles; Main track up front has 2 whoops section🤯, four table tops, two camel backs, two doubles😲; the far back Woods track has zero jumps and some awesome corners (not always prepped) 🤬.

All tracks run counter-clockwise except the Woods Track which is clockwise.

Still checking in from time to time but riding is almost always last minute..

Regarding riding tracks.... Safety in numbers .... when the fast guys see 3-5 old slow guys pull on they give us plenty of room.

The Sam Houston Nation Forest trails have many blind corners, 90% sand😎, large roots, whoops 2-3 deep for miles, still an awesome place when open.

Couple notes on 3 Palms - they tore down the SX track, it not now part of the kids track. It was there for the SX riders last year. Regarding the fun..... the GP Track is the most popular with one mild whoop section and 10 table tops; River Track is sweet - 6 table tops and 2 safe doubles; Main track up front has 2 whoops section🤯, four table tops, two camel backs, two doubles😲; the far back Woods track has zero jumps and some awesome corners (not always prepped) 🤬.

All tracks run counter-clockwise except the Woods Track which is clockwise.
Thank you! :thumb: :thumb: Weather looks to be very iffy for a while though. Is Friday good for a newbie?

Thank you! :thumb: :thumb: Weather looks to be very iffy for a while though. Is Friday good for a newbie?
Yes when the weather is good, little dryer it will be awesome..... with COVID and kids always out even the week days have seen action. Once kids get back in school weekdays should be a little slower. They are usually open 10-9 on Fridays😎. Time to burn some fuel.

Back