• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Disaster on the TAT

I'm interested in getting a SPOT also. After a quick read on wikipedia, it looks like SPOT uses a network of satellites called Globalstar (instead of GPS) to communicate with you. Your SPOT has a GPS receiver so it can tell Globalstar your GPS coordinate. More reading showed Globalstar went bankrupt in 2002. Maybe that's why people were having problems. It says Globalstar launched 24 satellites between 2010 to 2013, to bring the network back up to full service. It also says Globalstar began laying off employees in 2011. So looks like there's been alot of turmoil.

We used the 911 button when Ed broke his leg outside of St. Joe. The first help arrived in 15 minutes. YMMV

Click my Spot link below to see where I went this weekend.

I'm interested in getting a SPOT also. After a quick read on wikipedia, it looks like SPOT uses a network of satellites called Globalstar (instead of GPS) to communicate with you. Your SPOT has a GPS receiver so it can tell Globalstar your GPS coordinate. More reading showed Globalstar went bankrupt in 2002. Maybe that's why people were having problems. It says Globalstar launched 24 satellites between 2010 to 2013, to bring the network back up to full service. It also says Globalstar began laying off employees in 2011. So looks like there's been alot of turmoil.

Again. I have never heard of the SPOT not working for anyone. I have made several trips using tracking and the SPOT has always reported me current location correctly. So I am confident there satilite system works OK. I have used the roadside assistance several times and it has always worked. I have used the Ok feature several times when out of cell phone range to communicate with my wife that all is good, just can't call. SPOT has always worked for me.

Just understand the limitations.

The 1st gen takes AA. They recommend lithium which is what I use.

IIRC the second gen takes AAA lithium.

Sent from my iPhone

As Downs, stated, the gen2 takes 3 AAA Lithium batteries (Not always easy to find, so it pays to carry a spare set with you). My Spot worked very well on our TAT ride, but I never had to use the 911 feature!! As stated, the SPOT is a great tool, just don't let it be your ONLY tool!! Have other options..

Gary

That hurt to watch. Top heavy loaded bikes...what can you say? It's a dangerous sport these motorcycles.

Just got a spot couple weeks ago. Good info by fellow Trice. Thanks!

Just curious, when it sends out the emails, does it send separate emails to your contacts or one email to all your contacts that a "Reply to All" could work with?

Again. I have never heard of the SPOT not working for anyone.

Bob, you did read Calgary Yogi's post just a few up from yours, right? He has had several failures. So now you can honestly say that you have heard of spot not working for everyone.;-)

Bob, you did read Calgary Yogi's post just a few up from yours, right? He has had several failures. So now you can honestly say that you have heard of spot not working for everyone.;-)

I stand corrected. I should have said from the hundreds of posts by others, no one ELSE has ever complained that the device itself did not work. I suspect the issue was on the receiving end.

Back