• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Discord?

I don't know about discord but I know about datcord. :-P

Strange question. People join because they have a common bond. Bikes. Not because they disagree with each other.

Does TWT have a discord to join?

Isn’t a discord just another forum where members can post? I have heard of people mentioning a “discord” service if you join their website (Yammie Noob on YouTube) but I have never joined those things so I don’t know.

I use it also for games, but nah. I agree with Monica, come on a pie run for face to face communication. Communication is better with pie.

It's possible others might like that option of communication, just throwing out ideas
Perhaps.
What I've found is that after meeting everyone at the rides, folks usually stay in touch with a smaller core group of friends via in person, text or phone. So, maybe yea they'll wanna join a discord list? I know what it is, I'm on one myself. This group as a whole just doesn't strike me as a discord type. Just get with the smaller group of buds you meet.

ETA: this strikes me as leading into the "do we want to be a Facebook only" group kind of conversation again

Pie run Schedule. There is a different post for each ride.

I know nothing about the pie run , when is that?

They used to be the last Saturday of the month,things kinda shut them down, there may be one last one the end of October before the uncivil war starts November 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ETA: this strikes me as leading into the "do we want to be a Facebook only" group kind of conversation again

Whether I like it or not, TWT folks congregate on FB as well has here. It is just the way social media works now :shrug:

At one time, we had a relay chat setup that folks could use. Only about three people ever used it, so I got rid of it. There is the chat feature on FB though if anyone wants to use that. I've never really thought about setting up some kind of audio/video arrangement where folks could talk. I don't know how many folks might use it. Might be interesting to experiment with if it is not expensive. Do they have things like chat rooms where you can join and talk/see people? It would have to be something that doesn't run on my server because it probably would not be able to handle heave video streaming traffic.

So I was just looking at the Discord website. It is unclear, but would I be able to create a TWT channel that is present for people to join any time without me having to be there keeping the channel active?

Whether I like it or not, TWT folks congregate on FB as well has here. It is just the way social media works now :shrug:

At one time, we had a relay chat setup that folks could use. Only about three people ever used it, so I got rid of it. There is the chat feature on FB though if anyone wants to use that. I've never really thought about setting up some kind of audio/video arrangement where folks could talk. I don't know how many folks might use it. Might be interesting to experiment with if it is not expensive. Do they have things like chat rooms where you can join and talk/see people? It would have to be something that doesn't run on my server because it probably would not be able to handle heave video streaming traffic.
It's free unless you want higher quality audio all anyone would need to do is create and account and a server, I believe discord runs the servers.yea you can talk and maybe stream your webcam if that's what you wanna do.I wasn't suggesting that everyone leave here and join that . It's just a different media platform that you could instead of typing things out long form you could use your voice to communicate the previous day's ride or upcoming events. I didn't know lots of people would be against the idea

So I was just looking at the Discord website. It is unclear, but would I be able to create a TWT channel that is present for people to join any time without me having to be there keeping the channel active?
Yea you create the channel and post a link for people to join if anyone is interested really with no maintenance needed

I understood what you meant. It is not to replace the forum, just to add another avenue of connection. People are already doing that on Facebook and WhatsApp among other places.

I think what some people might fear is that if there are too many places, then you start to get more than one community because there are too many places to keep track of. Some people use FB but never come to the forum. Some use the forum but never go to FB. There is some overlap, but there are folks in both places that never see people from the other places. I have tried to keep the forum as the central hub of various places, hoping that it would keep everyone coming together. I don't know how successful that has been.

Personally, I am not interested in doing audio/video chats, but I have no problem with setting up something like a TWT channel where people that are interested can try it.

@Tourmeister , If you decide to set up a Discord channel, I recommend adding multiple sub-channels (text and/or audio). I could see a 'use case' for TWT having separate sub-channels that are allocated by specific regions. Each region would then be a sub-channel that allows regional TWT members to communicate via audio or text (synchronously or asynchronously).

I can see Discord offering a bridge between the forum's asynchronous nature and actual voice communication during group rides. Example, Let's say I'm in the mood for a spontaneous ride... I can either 1) post on the TWT forum and hope I get a quick response, or 2) jump into the a TWT Discord regional sub-channel to see if anyone is currently there... 'Hey, you up for a ride? Lets go!', or 3) post a message in Discord and people using discord will receive an alert on their phone's Discord app, or 4) use Facebook or a phone to call someone specifically (no Facebook for me though).

The Discord platform is pretty robust and configurable. It works on a phone and/or computer. But like any technology, there is a small learning curve to initially connect, create various channels, and set member permissions. All in all, it's pretty manageable.

Isn’t that the whole point in riding a motorcycle , ride someplace and meet people . I think that’s what facecrap is for , people that want to hide behind a monitor screen . This site is to tell you where and when to ride to meet other people face to face .

@Tourmeister , If you decide to set up a Discord channel, I recommend adding multiple sub-channels (text and/or audio). I could see a 'use case' for TWT having separate sub-channels that are allocated by specific regions. Each region would then be a sub-channel that allows regional TWT members to communicate via audio or text (synchronously or asynchronously).

I can see Discord offering a bridge between the forum's asynchronous nature and actual voice communication during group rides. Example, Let's say I'm in the mood for a spontaneous ride... I can either 1) post on the TWT forum and hope I get a quick response, or 2) jump into the a TWT Discord regional sub-channel to see if anyone is currently there... 'Hey, you up for a ride? Lets go!', or 3) post a message in Discord and people using discord will receive an alert on their phone's Discord app, or 4) use Facebook or a phone to call someone specifically (no Facebook for me though).

The Discord platform is pretty robust and configurable. It works on a phone and/or computer. But like any technology, there is a small learning curve to initially connect, create various channels, and set member permissions. All in all, it's pretty manageable.

Thanks for the info. I am neck deep in real life issues at the moment, but will try to check it out in more detail.

Thanks for the info. I am neck deep in real life issues at the moment, but will try to check it out in more detail.
The brief Discord insight I provided was only meant to help others understand the tool; and, every tool has its use. I believe most communities would be hard-pressed to adopt Discord for a variety of reasons. If it isn't broke, there's no need to fix it... and I'm certainly not looking to move anyone's cheese:borg:

Back