• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DIY stuck axle remover

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
"This is what I did about 18 years ago: That is a TFL (threaded full length) rod. Nut on far end is smaller than axle diameter but sufficiently larger than the hollow. Preloading the axle like this didn't get it out alone, but tapping on the axle and hub with hammer started it moving."

First Name
Rob
I finally got tired of fighting things like this and picked up a blind bearing puller that has small enough adapters to use inside axle tubes as well..

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
You can borrow tools like that from Autozone. But I have to say that is a clever setup, Rob.

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
I'm happy to say I have never had an issue where a punch and hammer couldn't drift the axle out!! Nice setup but fortunately I have never needed it!! :)

Gary

First Name
Rob
You can borrow tools like that from Autozone. But I have to say that is a clever setup, Rob.
True but I have been doing a lot of disassembly of bike and other parts lately with the powder coat business and when it comes to popping bearings and stuff out of wheels and motorcycle cases its paid for itself in about 2 jobs so it was no big issue to buy. Just makes the job go faster when you have the right tools you know. I'm probably not too far down the road from getting one of the low cost HF presses for popping them back in as well.