• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do you ride solo or in groups?

Reaction score
I was looking at a post about a group ride and wondered if it is just me, or do others prefer to ride solo? I don't think I am anti social, I enjoy being around others with similar interests, but...
For me riding is similar to running. I prefer to go when I feel like it, at my own pace, on whatever route seems the best at the time for as long I like. I may start out for a short ride that ends up taking a good part of the day, or start out for a day long ride and turn back just because I get distracted with other thoughts.
Somedays I will map out a route, others I'll just head out the door and figure out where I am going based on when I want to be back.
Is this really that strange?

Golf on the other hand is a sport that I really do enjoy with others. I wonder how many forum members are also golfers? Got a favorite course in central Texas?

Mostly I ride solo or with a group of two or three, but don't mind the occasional group ride. It seems that the crash rate on larger rides I have participated in runs about 50%. The larger the group, the more likely it becomes. That doesn't include other mishaps including break-downs, flats, deer strikes or just plain inability of some participants to blend in with the spirit of the ride.

Generally ride alone or with my pillon. Sometimes you may see me with one other bike. Never in a group ride.

Well, on the dirt it is always a group. If it is a large bunch that has met, we tend to break down to clusters of 5 or less when we actually hit the trail.

On the street I ride alone alot, but if in a group I prefer 3. Typical hiking mentality. One to stay and help and the other to go for help. My only larger group experience has been TWT pie runs and it is fun, but I have to work harder mentally to force myself to ride my pace not someone else's.

I am more of a solo kind of guy. I am currently encouraging a buddy of mine to get his bike so he can ride with me but he has a few other things to do before he gets a bike. I did enjoy the one group ride I have been on but I don't see myself doing that more than a couple times a year. For me it is tough to "ride my own pace" when I am in a group. I guess I have a little competitive streak in me.

I'm with you. Or rather I'm alone with your riding style. I prefer to ride alone, but I will ride with groups on day trips. On a multi-day trip I feel cramped to be in a group. Just because I tend to stop fairly often to take pictures and enjoy the country. I prefer to say "Lets start together and we will meet up at the destination should we get separated." I do enjoy meeting with other riders at events/gatherings.

:rider:

When I do ride sometimes it's just me and Squidward, but we'll ride in a group of 4 (normally with igo-wfo and bung). It seems to be a good number for us. igo-wfo (Mark) usually leads, then bung, then me, then Squidward. Sometimes we switch it up, but everyone keeps in mind that I'm the slow one, so it works out well :mrgreen:

I prefer to ride with at least one other person, in case of an accident or anything you might need someone there with you for help (I've been in that situation and was glad others were there). The only time I ride alone is when I'm going to work or maybe over to my parent's house. Situations like that, but if I'm going on a ride, there's at least one other person (since I'm married to Squidward, he has to come LOL).

We also all know that if one of us wants to break off and go somewhere else, none of us are offended and what not. Or if someone needs to/wants to head back early it's ok with everyone.

5-6 is usually my max. I tend to just ride with one or two other friends most of the time. My wife is my main, bestest riding partner. :mrgreen:

I hardly ever rode with more than one other rider until i went
to my first ibmwr rally in arkansas in '01. I thought i would be bored
stiff but the guy leading kept the pace entertaining and thats
crucial

Since then i've been on numerous group rides with up to a dozen
or more riders. Never had an accident occur during these but have had
a few deer or cage close calls. A few months back i was behind a guy on a
new r1200st when he took out a fawn. Broke his fender.

I have seen numerous crashes on group rides out by kerrville
and the 3 sisters roads. Never could figure out why

Slow farm equipment allowed my buddy to snap
this of me leading the rest of the folks in AR during the 01
rally. If you haven't ridden in AR, this road is pretty
much like they all are there.
keeper1.jpg

Eric
Austin

rickmillertx said:
"Lets start together and we will meet up at the destination should we get separated."
Very important. Let those who want to run get out front, and no pressure on slower riders to push.

The majority of my riding has been solo, but mostly because I'm not a planner. I enjoy group rides, the number of riders doesn't matter so long as the group is riding well. I've missed a lot of them because of schedule or different preference in destination.

I'd prefer to ride with at least one other.
David

I mostly ride solo, but mainly because most of my miles were from commuting. I get lost much too easily to find some fun roads outside of town; and that's why I go on group rides posted here.

If I lived closer to some fun routes that I was to become familiar with I could see myself going solo more often. I have a hard time waking up early to meet the group before kickstands up.

I prefer riding in small groups of 6 or less. I used to ride solo all the time but now that I've met more people who ride I usually ride in groups. (Besides, the group I usually ride with have radar detectors! :trust: )

Now, if I could just get my wife to get a bike of her own, I'd be inclined for just the two of us to ride. (HINT, HINT)

:tab I like both and see no reason to pick one over the other.

:tab Most of my group riding has been with me leading the pack. This is a challenge because you need a pace to keep the more experienced riders entertained, but you also don't want inexperienced riders getting in over their heads. One way that I have handled that has been to make it a point to emphasize before, during and after rides that the group WILL WAIT for everyone at all intersections and turns. I have found that if you can really convince the inexperienced or slower riders of this, they are much more likely to relax and just do their own thing while still being in the group. Also, stopping like this keeps the group from getting all strung out so the slower riders don't feel like they are left behind and alone all the time. If I have some folks that really want to run, I will stop, tell the lead guy where to stop next and send them on their way. I will hang back with the rest at the more relaxed pace, scanning the ditches along the way ;-)

:tab In all the group rides I have led, there have been very few incidents where someone crashed. In every case, the rider was geared up and walked away with very minor injuries. I am sure luck plays a part in it, but I also think laying down some rules about the ride helps as well. I would guess my accident rate is somewhere down around maybe 2-3% or less of the rides I have done. As the leader, I take very serious the task of getting a feel for how the group can ride. I have to evaluate the different skill levels, talk and work with the slower riders to help them if they are experiencing technique or confidence issues, or just reassure them that they are NOT holding everyone up and ruining the ride for everyone else. In some cases, I have simply split the group and picked someone to lead the fast riders the rest of the day while I stay with the other riders.

:tab Group riding is special. It does take some specific skills. I think this is what gets a lot of groups into trouble. Often, everyone in the group rides like they would on a solo ride with little regard for the group dynamics. For a group ride to be good, you have to go into it with the right attitude. You have to think of the group. You have to worry about the people behind you and make sure they aren't left behind. Some riders don't want to be bothered with this though yet want to still ride in a group. This is just asking for trouble. However, if everyone does their part, group rides can be exceptionally enjoyable and make for some great memories and lasting friendships. The largest groups I have run were probably around 25-30 bikes in one group, once on an East Texas Butt Burner of about 400 miles and once in Arkansas on about a 400 mile route of serious twisties. In both cases the group stayed together great and we had a blast with no incidents.

:tab All that said, I love a good ride alone, especially the dualsport rides :trust:

Tourmeister said:
One way that I have handled that has been to make it a point to emphasize before, during and after rides that the group WILL WAIT for everyone at all intersections and turns.

Hey Scott (and others), do you have a checklist you go over when new riders join a group ride? This thread is a good reminder for Scott and I as we start a local Triumph RAT group. One of the central themes of the RAT Pack will be group rides.

If not, or if you prefer not to share it, can you suggest a site that spells some of the major points? There used to be a site "Rick's Rides" that had something along those lines, but I no longer see it online.

TIA
David

I like either groups or solo, and sometimes ride with one other rider.

They are different types of rides.

Group rides generally follow a set route, and generally are a bit slower not so much in speed but most anything like eating, gas, breaks etc. all take significantly longer and it really requires a patient no rush group atitude in my opinion.

I love riding solo and do it even more because for me there usually is not a set route, just a beginning and a destination if even that, and I usually leave with just a vague idea of which way to get there. Having freedom to see a road leading off somewhere or on a map and just go take it is a lot of fun, and stopping, gas, food, is all my perogative and usually very fast.

Usually when I'm solo I just decide a road to take, and when I hit an intersection I whip out a map (GPS lately) and decide my route for the next road and just pick my way intersection to intersection by whatever looks good at the moment. Or just tell the GPS to avoid major roads and see where it takes me.

I have been either Ride Coordinator or President of the Star Riders for the three years ending last December (I’m free, I’m free) so I have lead my share of group rides. I have probably led upwards of 50 rides over the past three years with groups ranging in size from 3 or 4 up to 20 or 25. I have participated in group rides with upwards of 60 bikes and a couple with 150 – 200 riders. I prefer groups be no larger than 10-12 riders with 6-8 being an optimum size in my opinion.

I have lead small groups (3-5 including me) on rides lasting several days and covering several thousand miles.

While I enjoy solo riding or riding with one or two others that I know well I generally ride with a group.

I am comfortable riding 50 or 90 and can generally adjust my riding to the group with little frustration. While I have no problem being “one of the masses” I generally prefer the lead or tail gun position on a group ride and take the responsibilities of those positions very seriously. There is generally lots of competition for tail gunner but very little for ride leader.

When I am the ride leader I try to give a general description of the route and destination and then give this spiel –

Ride at your own pace, you are not out here to impress anyone, just have a good time. I am not your parent and I will not tell you how to ride unless I think you are endangering others, but I recommend that you do not run red lights or stop signs to keep up. If you fall behind the group will be waiting at the next turn.

Also, unless I know all the riders personally, I try to find out about experience level and I ask if everyone understands what is expected of them in a staggered formation and what is expected if they are riding tail gun (I prefer to have someone I know in the back). I will discuss these subjects as necessary.

If I have new or inexperienced riders (10,000 miles riding on an interstate highways does not make an experienced rider) I set the pace accordingly or, if I have someone who can lead a second group, I break up into a couple of groups so one group can ride a "spirited" ride and the other can "smell the roses". I always try to have written directions including route numbers, distances and turns,

If I am the Ride leader and someone in the group is riding in what I consider an unsafe manner, I will attempt to correct their conduct. If this does not work I will ask them to ride in the back or leave the group.

If I am not the ride leader and the leader fails to correct what I consider is unsafe conduct I will leave the group at the next stop sometimes with and sometimes without explanation.

rickmillertx said:
I'm with you. Or rather I'm alone with your riding style. I prefer to ride alone, but I will ride with groups on day trips. On a multi-day trip I feel cramped to be in a group. Just because I tend to stop fairly often to take pictures and enjoy the country. I prefer to say "Lets start together and we will meet up at the destination should we get separated." I do enjoy meeting with other riders at events/gatherings.

:rider:

What rickmillertx said.

I’ve ridden thousands of miles with other riders and it’s always worked out where like minded riders end up together. I usually end up with one or two guys that I’m comfortable riding a with. The number one thing on a long trip is to not get separated. It’s easer to do than you might think. Scott’s right about waiting for the last rider at any possible turn.

I have a great time who ever I’m riding with. If no one wants to go as fast as I do, I just adjust. It’s about enjoying the motorcycle experience. I just like to ride. Fortunately I’ve never had to deal with anyone crashing on a ride. Stopping for a mechanical issue is frustrating enough.

This DS experience is new to me and I can’t wait to explore with others. It’s is going to be fun!
Hugh

I've been in big groups, small groups, but since I'm isolated down here by the placid blue waters of Lavaca Bay, I'm mostly a soloist getting where I need to be via two wheeled bliss. However, fellow South Texans from the Corpus area once met with me in Beeville for a little ride and I look forward to doing another. Kinda booked up right now on the coming weekends, but soon hopefully.

I enjoy group and solo...each has it's pleasures. For the long and/or special trips i've usually gone solo, but that's partly because other folks have obligations which prevent them from haring off into the blue.

I started out on a bike in a group setting, and have loved it ever since. I am often afraid of riding alone because of the "what if" factor. I commute alone, but that's on major roads where I'm never the only vehicle.

Ok, so I'm a social motorcyclist... I like watching other riders' techniques and learning from them and I like pacing a rider so that I can see where the turns go. I like getting to a stop and talking and story telling and getting to know new people when I ride in a new group. I also like riding with the same group of a few riders because I know what their riding style is like already.

...and yes, Scott waits for everyone that goes slower than the group. even me.

I mostly ride alone. On long trips I ride with my wife on pillion. Locally I sometimes ride withine othe rider. Even with just two it is hard to match riding styles. My wife and I have many thousands of miles t ogether without incident. Had a close encounter with Bambi on ride to Gran Tetons last summer, anti locks orn BmW R1200RTare great. Made it into a non event.

I enjoy riding with my wife and the smaller groups that eventually meet at a designated spot with a bunch more folks (i.e. "pie runs"). I really enjoy meeting the folks in person that I have met online here.
icon_bigok.gif

And then there was the Big Toy Run in 2004 (had to do it once) where I rode with 25000 of my closest friends... :trust:

I agree with Chuck.

I like to ride solo (or near solo) to meet with a Group. Does that count?

The Net, one of the things that got me interested in riding with people again. Love the way folks call a ride, you ride your own to get there, and meet up the the Tons of folks who showed up, and then ride your own home. Like the Pie Runs.

Back