• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Does anybody buy used film cameras and lenses?

Reaction score
First Name
James
I called Precision Camera in Austin earlier. They tell me they don't buy used film cameras and equipment and they don't know of anybody who does.

Now that I have a good DSLR I need to get rid of this old stuff. Here is what I have:

Minolta X-370
28-85 Zoom (may be Minolta brand?)
Includes 62mm Tiffen sky filter
Includes 62mm Promaster Polarizing(?) filter
70-210 Zoom, Quantaray
Remote shutter release cable (great for artsy long exposures)
Extra wide Minolta brand shoulder strap

minoltax370crsz.jpg

If anybody knows of a store that will buy this around Austin, San Antonio, Houston or Waco (places I travel to regularly) that will buy this stuff please let me know.

If anyone is interested in buying it from me PM an offer to me.

Thanks!

I donated my old film equipment to the local jr college.
If you check eBay you find it's not worth much.

I talked to a guy at Houston Camera Exchange about my Canon AE1 last year. He said I could bring it in and they would look at everything I had but not to expect too much for it. He said I would probably do better on Craigslist.

I gave my N-70 away to someone that will use it after I saw what it would fetch $$ wise on the used market.

Hmmm.... If Precision doesn't buy used cameras, how come their used camera stock keeps rotating? They have to be getting it from somewhere.

I'd go the Craigslist route. Working 35mm bodies with a couple lenses are in the $150 ballpark as a complete set on the used market. About the same at Precision as well.

There may be a better market for manual 35mm cameras since those are used in college photography classes still. Shop for cameras like yours as if you are going to buy to get a good idea of real world value for what you have. My Nikon with a two lens setup was getting from $40 to $65 from several people near Dallas trying to sell the same outfits.

There may be a better market for manual 35mm cameras since those are used in college photography classes still.

Good point. In fact I loaned my 35mm film equipment to a friend's daughter for her art classes. When she get's through with it, I'll most likely keep it. I can;t sell it for much and I like shooting film every once in a while.

I understand but can't swear that all do, but many of the Minolta AF's will fit on the Sony DSLR's out there.

Last edited:
I sold my wife's AE1 program on Craigs List about 7 months ago for 90 bucks. (I was asking 100) The battery was dead and it hadn't been used in years. So, if you don't mind the risk of being raped, robbed or murdered Craigs list may be the way to go :eek2 .

I recommend checking out eBay. You have to be a little bit careful but you can find a decent camera if you can find a reputable seller. Check out this article for some tips on 35mm film cameras and how to find a good one.

I'm just using my old film body's as props in photoshoots now..... Well, most of 'em that is. Some I still shoot for giggles.

Back