• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dog photo (monitor calibration also)

NUTT

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
M
DSC05339.jpg

SOOC from a 25 year old "new to me" eBay lens. Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7.

Photo shot at f/1.7, ISO 200, 1/20 sec.

Thoughts on the image? What about post processing ideas, I'm way rusty on this & am using the Lightroom 3 Beta.

Last edited:
Re: Critique My Photo thread...

DSC05339.png

SOOC from a 25 year old "new to me" eBay lens. Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7.

Photo shot at f/1.7, ISO 200, 1/20 sec.

Thoughts on the image? What about post processing ideas, I'm way rusty on this & am using the Lightroom 3 Beta.

I like it except for the White Balance, looks a little warm...if you shot in RAW (which you should always do!! :trust:) you can fix the WB in LR...if shot in jpg you are kinda out of luck.

Good job on getting the eyes in focus at 1.7....that is some seriously shallow DOF.

And I might crop the right of the photo a bit to bring the dog more to the right side of the photo.

Nice shot.

Nutt:

I hope you don't mind. But here is my take on your photo. 5 min in Lightroom 3 beta.
758514928_DsZZ2-L.jpg

I felt that the white balance was too yellow. I guess I should call it what STScott did, too warm.

I also adjusted the blacks and added some vignette after I cropped it some. I also tried to do some isolating with the gradient filter thingy, and the brush. And I did the following adjustments....desaturated, de-vibrancy, added clarity. I then locally added some saturation to the tongue and eyes.

Sounds like a lot, but I just worked from the top down on the adjustment option menu and the exported to .jpg.

758512437_mdEni-M.jpg

Last edited:

I like it except for the White Balance, looks a little warm...if you shot in RAW (which you should always do!! :trust:) you can fix the WB in LR...if shot in jpg you are kinda out of luck.

I hope you don't mind. But here is my take on your photo. 5 min in Lightroom 3 beta.

I don't mind at all!

I felt that the white balance was too yellow. I guess I should call it what STScott did, too warm.

Nutt: Judging color is tricky considering that each of our monitors will show colors differently but I figured I'd throw out one that seems accurate on my monitor.

Thanks for the feedback. Last night, I switched the camera to shoot in RAW & shot a few pictures. Something jumped out at me....

My monitor must be off!!! Seriously, the following picture looked nice & cool on the laptop monitor at home. But at work, it looks really, really warm. The same thing happened with the above picture of the dog.

DSC05399.jpg

Are there color calibration cards / discs that anyone has used with good success?

If you contact Mpix ( http://mpix.com/ ) they will send you a calibration kit for free. If you don't want to go that route there are plenty of kits to buy.

Spyder http://spyder.datacolor.com/products.php gets good reviews if you want to purchase something.

I use the Mpix kit because they are the company I do my printing with and have had great results with their kit both with prints and web display.

Are there color calibration cards / discs that anyone has used with good success?

don't know about your camera, but on mine I can tell it sun light, florescent or whatever for the white balance.
To calibrate, a friend of mine who has his own studio told me what he'll do in a pinch. Cover the lens with a white napkin and point it at a light and take a pic. somehow he tells his camera, thats the base line for white.
his camera is way fancy, and he really know whats he's doing, so it was kind of over my head, but it may help you

OK....I guess I am confused...are you looking to calibrate your monitor or your camera?

OK....I guess I am confused...are you looking to calibrate your monitor or your camera?

Calibrate the monitor.

The MPix kit is what I remember seeing, I'll try that.

Thanks!

Back