• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dog picture

NUTT

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
M
I picked up Nikon D7000 + 18-200mm last week and I've been taking a few pictures. This is my favorite so far.

Manual Mode: 1/320 sec at F/11, ISO 800

White balance is auto because I don't know any better.

What do you think?

What am I doing right?

What am I doing wrong?

Did I edit too much in Lightroom?

Honesty is good. I'm not going pro but I'd like to be able to take some good photos.

20110516-DSC0075-L.jpg

How about a reflector to deal with the shadow on the right side of the pooch's face. It's good, better than anything I'd be able to do.

*I'm not a photographer or even a decent amateur

Nice looking pup....

I think it's a good shot but either my ears are full of water from swimming this afternoon or is it tilted just a tad bit? Nice capture for something you really can't pose too. Great early evening light, nice focal point no the snout. Maybe lighten the eye shadow a tad bit?

Good catch on the straightening, I'll fix that. I tried to lighten the shadows on his face but couldn't get it to come out right. I'm going to work on a few things & may repost this one.

I should note that this has the following work in Lightroom:
  • Pretty big crop down from the original
  • Gradient filter in the upper right hand corner at 45* reducing the exposure
  • Gradient filter in the bottom 1/5th of the picture reducing the exposure
  • Some spot correction on his face to get remove some random slobber
  • Minor tweaking of the tone curve

I don't know anything except how to push the button. That being said and I've said this to M38A1 It's a great picture but it looks fake to me.

Aside from the slight list to the port side of the image, I think you captured a great shot. I enjoy seeing the eyes, and the detail (sharpness / focus) appears to me spot on.

Because of the shadow, I bet this would look really nice converted to B&W.

very nice shot. dark furred animals are hard to shoot, from what I've seen. beautiful pup, too.

Hmmm.... I was adjusting this photo a bit over the weekend and trying to rotate it so that the fence was more vertical.

I think the issue is that the yard is slightly sloped in that spot. The dog isn't lined up with the fence.

I think Duke is right; it is canted a bit to the left. I'll fix it tonight.

Looking again, the 'tilt' might just be an optical illusion. The dogs legs look like a true vertical and we know he's probably not standing crooked. I'm leaning towards the fence/yard sloping and the dog is straight.

Jake's still a fine looking dog!

Back