• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Done Riding. Balance is gone

I'd also like to recommend classic bikes for those of us gettingweak. Ride well, not much plastic, much lighter and not tall.
I just bought a 1983 R80 RT BMW because of the light weight and easy maneuverability.

WOW ... i only drop in from time to time to read how folks are doing and find that more n more are now going thru issues i experienced a few years back

BALANCE n strength n stamina ...

Ara and Spirit along with Bob and Hunter showed me thru their adventures that getting a hack might could extend my riding time

Chili n i followed suit and became part of the Ural group in TWT and enjoyed a few added years of riding to our resume's while camping w/ the larger group and eating PIE

then one evening on my way back to my motel from the Lone Star Rally I KNEW

rode Patience right up into her trailer for the last time

i have been encouraged to keep attending events butt my persona nature would end up tempting me to commit gross stupidity and get myself hurt again and maybe even worse ...

so i refrained

my YJ just had to do and it dunn a real well job until i could no longer breathe above 5000'

I have a 2000 Superduty with 7.3 ltr diesel and manual, Lockouts. I'm sure it will get me where I need to go, but it's not wind in your face which I think I still need. There's just something about falling out of your machine that keeps it interesting. Well the good thing is we're all planning a backup plan

TxTiger, IMHO a CJ is an excellent option for your particular situation and you already have a beautiful one that is SET UP !!!

your SuperDuty will tow a CJ just as easily as it would a SxS and it will be safer

i had considered a SxS butt the legality issue kept popping up in some of the areas i liked to play AND particularly between some of those areas where highway travel would be required

either way a trailer was going to be part of the scenario and i opted for safety and 100% legality

as it turned out i hauled the YJ to ... and set up a base camp where i could run clover leafs for a few days before needing to move the base camp

i kept my M/C camping kit to carry in the YJ just in case circumstances required over-nighting away from the base camp(never had to)

I've developed some balance issues over the years as well due to a combination of a bad heart, allergies to Texas and sleep apnea, everything goes hand in hand. I said I'd never get a trike but would likely settle for a Can Am. But the sidecar people out there seem to be having more fun than should be legally allowed.

I've been part of some sidecar forums for over a year now and even got to set up a horrible build by DMC with an Expedition car a couple months back. What a pain in the kiester that was as it took 4 seesions to get it to ride somewhat like it should for reasons between poorly made parts and the lower mounts being installed incorrectly. After all the research, hanging on forums and the fact that I have so little free time and just don't feel like wrenching anymore, I have landed firmly in the camp of "I like the idea of a side car rig" and if I do ever get one, the best choice for me would be a Ural. It's already done, they've made them since the beginning of time and there's nothing to do. Despite the lack of HP and a limited top speed, they're pretty solid. I don't know about my dog but many other people's dogs love them. But I certainly could have fun camping and taking more things with me like a guitar and the mutt.

XTGlider, it worked well for me n Chili the Wonder Monkey

as she grew into them i got her a pair of DOGGLES which she wore if she wanted to go along WHICH SHE DID

if you do decide to keep on keepin' on a Ural aint wrong just rememberize they don't fit inside a 5' wide trailer ;-)

they like a FULL 72" wide opening to pass thru

IMG_0338.JPG
@ turner falls.jpeg
me n chili.jpg

WISHING YOU ALL WELL

sw & Chili The Wonder Monkey

I just bought a 1983 R80 RT BMW because of the light weight and easy maneuverability.
I hope you’re kidding. Maybe I already have the light bike I’m looking for. 2013 Triumph Tiger ABS, 95 hp and 463 pounds wet. I can lower the seat some and put more road friendly tires on it. Maybe keep it for now, ride when I can this fall and winter. If I still want to sell it, spring is a much better time to get what it’s worth. It is still the most fun I‘ve ever had on 2 wheels. I’m going to open a new thread for tire recommendations instead of hijacking this thread. Good to know I‘m not alone.

I'm 66 and just sold my Honda Valkyrie that I had for 10 years. Loved it but just too big and heavy for me anymore. Bought a 07 Bandit last year and may keep it one more year. Looking for a Yamaha wr250r or a Honda CRF300l rally something lighter to take it's place. Both dual sports are around 325lbs. Want to stay on 2 wheels as long as iI can.

I hope you’re kidding. Maybe I already have the light bike I’m looking for. 2013 Triumph Tiger ABS, 95 hp and 463 pounds wet. I can lower the seat some and put more road friendly tires on it. Maybe keep it for now, ride when I can this fall and winter. If I still want to sell it, spring is a much better time to get what it’s worth. It is still the most fun I‘ve ever had on 2 wheels. I’m going to open a new thread for tire recommendations instead of hijacking this thread. Good to know I‘m not alone.
I am 68 years old with a 28" inseam. Nope, not kidding. I have six bikes. Three are Honda Valkyries, two are Honda ST1300 then the BMW.

Eustachian tubes run from ears down throat. When mine get clogged I get popping in the ear and unbalanced. I unstop them with saline nasal spray. Not sure what causes them to stop up, maybe allergies.
Low temp in the morning is 55 I plan on a ride.

Last edited:
Eustachian tubes run from ears down throat. When mine get clogged I get popping in the ear and unbalanced. I unstop them with saline nasal spray. Not sure what causes them to stop up, maybe allergies.
Low temp in the morning is 55 I plan on a ride.
One of the members here recently was experiencing vertigo, which he attributed to clogged eustachian tubes, rode after he thought it had improved. He still wrecked. Balance is important.

May not help OP maybe other persons perusing thread

Had a balance problem / scare come on very fast~ 5 YO. My ears felt fuzzy in morning and hearing was attenuated, and after lunch I had serious balance issues. I was actually checking myself for stroke (smile in mirror, check hand, arm, leg strength on one side of body to other) then decided if I was doing that I should go to ER. ER visit was quick – fat guy with potential stroke gets sent to the front of the line. After only about 3 hrs, imaged 3 ways, blood tested etc, I was let go with instruction to see neurologist for follow-up – Neurologist found no deficiencies other than difference in air and conduction hearing in left ear.

I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, - an inner ear problem. A very low sodium diet <2Kmg/day and little to no caffeine goal (hard to maintain) has resulted in no serious attacks in the past 5 yrs.

Symptoms of an oncoming problem are fullness in ear, attenuation of hearing, increased tinnitus, and in a couple cases, progressing to balance problems enough that I could not walk.

Even now if I am not careful and fall off the no salt wagon, I get a fullness in ear, increased tinnitus, and hearing attenuation. You can bet, if I am feeling those symptoms, I am not gonna ride the bike.

Meniere’s has really knocked out my lower range hearing, especially on the left side. Lower range loss and fun-in-life caused 4kHz notch loss has left me with hearing aids and a left ear with markedly lower word recognition even with amplification.

I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, - an inner ear problem. A very low sodium diet <2Kmg/day and little to no caffeine goal (hard to maintain) has resulted in no serious attacks in the past 5 yrs.

Wow. I would have been asleep for the last 5 years without caffeine.

I wish you good luck in continuing to control this disease.

Back