• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Doubletake Mirrors - Thoughts or reviews?

AllByteNoBark

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
John
I searched for info on the Doubletake mirrors but did not find to much. On my Africa Twin I have noticed a bit of vibration in the mirrors since changing the tires. It feels totally smooth to me but the mirrors have just enough buzz to blur thing slightly. I see several people using these mirrors (looks like @misterk for one) and wondered what the consensus was. Worth the money? Will it help rid the blur or is it going to be the same?

The plus is more adjustability and I could rotate my bars up just a bit, which I have been wanting to do, but does not work well with the stock mirrors.

Thanks for any input!

I used them for a while on my DR650. They're good mirrors. Too expensive, but good. I went back to some cheaper foldable mirrors after I wrecked the bike the doubletakes were on.

I found the DoubleTakes tend to vibrate too much to really be useful due to the RAM ball design. Bought a set for my DR650 and they are still hanging on my fridge. Yours for $100 if you want 'em.

Cheez, that's not a bad price really. A new set is about 136 from the Double take website.

Personally I like mine, but depending on the RPM of the bike, the clearness changes. From my little experimenting, it seems all mirrors are like that on a bike. Mine survived a 70 MPH wreck, but really the bike just slid on one side and the mirrors didn't come close to contact with anything. They did seem to stay put though. Very little adjustment afterwards to get them back where I like them.

Will it help rid the blur or is it going to be the same?
I find the vibration with the Doubletake mirrors is MORE than with the stock. If you spend the majority of your time on asphalt, I would keep the stockers.

The point of the Doubletake mirrors is: They can be adjusted out of the way if you are going to really chunder your bike off road. And if you have a dirt nap, the mirrors will just move out of the way, and you can re-adjust them when you get your bike back up and regain your chi. Stock mirrors will bend and snap off and really become a pain in the rear, and annoy your friends while they wait for you to stop and pull out your tool roll...

I will probably just keep running the stock ones. I got a coupon for 20% off on the Doubletakes and had not even looked at them before. The current mirrors are actually really good just a bit of blur since the different tread tires. This feedback is exactly what I needed. Thanks everyone. :thumb:

I have a set of the round and a couple sets of the coffin shaped ones. I've found that the round ones would constantly move when doing rougher single track. I tightened them up so much it deformed the mounting ball. The coffin ones I have on the 1290 are very solid even at higher speeds.

You didn’t specify which double take mirror, but between the Adventure and the Enduro, I have the Adventure’s on my 890R and the Enduro on my 501. The larger Adventures on the 890 are excellent, and I find that when I’m standing for long periods, they easily rotate to see what’s coming up from behind in the standing position. Also, they are better than the stock mirrors from a clarity and vibration standpoint. The Enduro I run on my 501 gets the job done and I don’t have to worry about destroying it when things get fun. Of course, YMMV…

Last edited:
My wife replaced her terrible stock mirrors on her Versys 650 with the Adventure model and she now swears by them. The bar was set pretty low by the stockers though so take that with a grain of salt.

Best mirrors ever. Do everything mirrors should and nothing they shouldn't.

I was so happy when the 690 side stand sank in the mud and smashed the useless stock mirror--the Doubletakes were on my to-get list already and that got me off the sofa. Very pleased.

Everybody I know who has gotten them has had the same experience. I'm genuinely surprised by the poor results reported in the previous posts. They are heavy and they look funny, but I can now see what's going on behind me. Remember when the motorcycles in the ads NEVER had mirrors?

I like my doubletake mirrors, i have them mounted on mirror extenders

I love my double takes, have had them on for over a year with no issues, bought both for the price of the stock BMW mirrow when I broke one of the stock mirrors.

I finally broke down and bought a set and they're as good as any other mirror on a bike with knobbies at highway speed "buzzy" but there's no denying they really look cool. However if your getting older and your rubber ball doesn't have enough friction to keep it vertical there is an option https://motomanufacturing.com/moto-dock/. I've bumped em on the ground more than a few times and so far all it's done is nock em out of adjustment.

I've had face slappers whack the hound out of them with no probs. Yeah they've been plowed into the ground numerous times too. They'll do just fine until they don't.

I have them on my 500X because the stock mirrors wouldn't stay in position even on short and easy sections of gravel. I was having to adjust them every ride because they were always pointed at the tail of the bike. I put the ADV Double Takes on and, problem solved, I have reliable mirrors. I do find them a bit annoying to adjust compared to OEM styles but that's an okay trade off in my mind. I have them clamped down tight enough that moving them while riding isn't really feasible but once they're adjusted they're great. I really don't think about them anymore and I figure they've been hit by about as many small branches as my hand guards. I don't notice any vibration but I didn't have any in the stock mirrors either that I could see so I can't comment there. The 500 is pretty smooth as ADV bikes go and I'm on Shinko 804/805 tires.

On a KTM 890 I've seen Double Take mirrors survive a tumble into a ditch and us dragging the bike back out just like they're advertised to do. A little readjustment of the RAM mounts and they were good to go again.

Attachments

• 236615477_4902678626415256_842790641970528196_n.jpg
    236615477_4902678626415256_842790641970528196_n.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 168
I've had the coffin and round ones and I love them. When I am doing trail riding I just fold them out of the way. They have been fine on the road; I find them easier to adjust on the fly.

I find the vibration with the Doubletake mirrors is MORE than with the stock. If you spend the majority of your time on asphalt, I would keep the stockers.

The point of the Doubletake mirrors is: They can be adjusted out of the way if you are going to really chunder your bike off road. And if you have a dirt nap, the mirrors will just move out of the way, and you can re-adjust them when you get your bike back up and regain your chi. Stock mirrors will bend and snap off and really become a pain in the rear, and annoy your friends while they wait for you to stop and pull out your tool roll...
If I’m taking dirt naps with any frequency enough to annoy my friends, I’d probably find a new hobby ;-). I get what you are saying though. I entertained the idea of getting a set. They seem nice, but they are kind of spendy. I‘m running the stockers for now, but if they break then I may consider the double takes at that time. I‘ve just never broken a mirror before, and that’s a lot of $ for me to spend for damage that *might* happen to a part that is not really that expensive to replace anyway. That’s just me though.

I'm searching for rear view options myself. Saw that some have mounted rear facing go pros but having the reversed image is the unsolved problem.

I love mine, put them on both my RE Himalayan and HD Pan America.

Back