• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Down The Road I Go...

NOT TO HIJACK BUT, My Spot will be taken by my wife to Diamond Jacks in Shreveport La. to meet her sister from Conroe Sunday- Tuesday. Gona make us RICH----yeah. I'm caught ---do I watch the Spot or just take off for Junction to run the area????????

NOT TO HIJACK BUT, My Spot will be taken by my wife to Diamond Jacks in Shreveport La. to meet her sister from Conroe Sunday- Tuesday. Gona make us RICH----yeah. I'm caught ---do I watch the Spot or just take off for Junction to run the area????????

You can do both!

I must say this is the BEST thread I've ever watched.... Squeaky... we love ya... keep us watching this thread...

Wow this is neat- never heard of Spot till this post.

Gonna have to check into it more for the wife, she can keep up with my trips now.

Thanks-

Ride Safe- Have fun :zen: :clap:

Ron

Well she has been sitting in a resd. area in front of a house for 30 minutes. I think she is OK for the day even though she hasn't hit her CHECK OK button yet. Kinda relaxed now.

Looks as if she moved the bike or SPOT to the back of the house and hit the CHECK OK Button so I guess we can call it a day. Area looks as if it is a Golf community. Nice!!

Yup, my sister lives in a golf course community in middle-of-nowhere New Jersey. I'm in for the night (and for the next few days) and the internet works better here than any of the hotels I stayed at so I'll be able to catch up on uploading pics and stories.

Yup, my sister lives in a golf course community in middle-of-nowhere New Jersey. I'm in for the night (and for the next few days) and the internet works better here than any of the hotels I stayed at so I'll be able to catch up on uploading pics and stories.

Awesome!!!

still no worky...I there are too many "https" in the link or something....:shrug:

Did you try the one in my post or the one in the quote? I fixed both now.

-------

Squeaky, the satellite imagery does not show your bike in the driveway - you must have it in the garage... ;-)

(glad you made it)

It's kinda spooky, "She's parked behind the house now."

Where's my tinfoil hat emocution?

It's kinda spooky, "She's parked behind the house now."

Where's my tinfoil hat emocution?

She might be getting ready to do a little dual sporting on the golf course, better make sure the authorities know what she is up to.......

Day 3
Monday, April 28

Waking up and figuring out if the clock is reading CST or EST is confusing. Either way, I'm running late getting a jump on the day. I load the bike and hit the wet roads, although the rain was all but done falling from the sky.

p4280002sqj5.jpg

The clouds loomed overhead for most of the morning. I was nervous about heading towards Deals Gap - US 129, known to riders everywhere as the Tail of the Dragon. 318 curves in 11 miles that makes motorcycling hearts go pitter patter at the thought of scrubbing tires through each winding twist and turn. For me, it's a nervous anticipation, and with the threat of wet pavement I wasn't "feeling it".

p4280009squ3.jpg

I was also cold, and cold = tense. I stopped to add a layer of clothes, opting to include my ducky pajamas and my TWT tee.

p4280012svr8.jpg

The sky was getting brighter, but the clouds stuck around.

p4280015sww5.jpg

p4280019spb4.jpg

After a late breakfast/early lunch break, the sun started to work its way out to dry the roads an restore my spirit.

p4280027sfg1.jpg

The first few miles before the Tail started wandered around the water and gave scenic views of the surrounding hills.

p4280039sfc3.jpg

p4280047sqd3.jpg

We'll have to wait and see what ZeeFoto and Killboy got of me out there, since my hands were NOT coming off the bars for pictures on the Dragon. I tried second gear for the twists but felt like the bike was lugging up, down, and around the turns. I dropped down to first and stayed there for most of the ride, which made input on the throttle jerky at best.

I managed to pull off for the North Carolina state line sign:

288174838_7Jz6w-O.jpg

And turned around to get the Tennessee sign since I'd missed it the day before.

288174853_m5gpr-O.jpg

Once safely at the Crossroads of Time, I picked out a few souvenirs and scoped out the riders hanging out at the cafe.

288174856_JB4qS-O.jpg

288174887_NtAn8-O.jpg

I got my dragon sticker! I certainly earned it.

288174884_ma48N-O.jpg

288174912_i2JvD-O.jpg

Heading out. One dragon slayed, a thousand miles left to tackle (give or take)

288174917_Zv3WR-O.jpg

US 28 was still twisty, but not nearly as much as the previous 11 miles had been. I started to relax, and the curves started getting smoother and I was able to flow from one to the next.

288174922_RDirk-O.jpg

288174944_sxHxC-O.jpg

Lots of riders out on the road, but not in overwhelming numbers.

288174962_UtkqS-O.jpg

By early afternoon, Mother Nature had provided an amazing backdrop.

288174952_kzP7Y-O.jpg

Fontana Dam and recreation area

288174964_PWcQG-O.jpg

288174972_3xXRu-O.jpg

288174978_jpUKv-O.jpg

One of the locks at the dam

288174983_uDdEP-O.jpg

More twists and turns. Lots of pics from the saddle.

288174994_vQL9T-O.jpg

The sun and the trees made mosaics that lay before me

288175000_fw9kN-O.jpg

Towns, fields, farms, and barns. It's what this country is made of.

288175018_mx799-O.jpg

Once out on the highway, I thought I would be bored with straight, flat, traffic-filled main lanes - but I was pleeasantly surprised by the winding ribbon of pavement that presented itself. I'd stumbled onto the Great Smoky Mountain Expressway. This is what I call a road!

288175020_QERyV-O.jpg

288175042_rXUaF-O.jpg

I finally made my way towards Fletcher, just south of Asheville. I was near the airport but tucked away on a back road. I had to get a smoking room in order to get a first floor with outside access.

288175040_tvN9w-O.jpg

After seeing folks of all shapes and sizes come and go while I unpacked the bike, I decided I wasn't all that sure about the safety and security of my beloved Strom.

I did the only thing I could think to ensure his safety.

288175062_Nsrcr-O.jpg

Yup, I popped the panniers off and powered it up over the curb and straight into the room. It was a close fit at the bard, but a little wiggle got it in without having to remove the bar ends.

I walked over to the Mexican restaurant for dinner to go. It was the only thing within walking distance, but the desolation inside the restaurant wasn't saying much for their popularity.

288175061_y6nUG-O.jpg

The food was good though. I was surprised to find decent Tex Mex this far from the Rio Grande.

288174876_FMYw7-O.jpg

I tried to settle in and get caught up on the ride report, but the internet access wasn't cooperating and I couldn't manage to get pictures uploaded. Oh well, it can wait.

Tennessee, North Carolina
219 miles

288174768_wGhQv-O.jpg

288175040_tvN9w-O.jpg

After seeing folks of all shapes and sizes come and go while I unpacked the bike, I decided I wasn't all that sure about the safety and security of my beloved Strom.

I did the only thing I could think to ensure his safety.

288175062_Nsrcr-O.jpg

Yup, I popped the panniers off and powered it up over the curb and straight into the room. It was a close fit at the bard, but a little wiggle got it in without having to remove the bar ends.

Well that's one way to protect your bike, as long as the management doesn't see you do it... :lol2:

Waking up and figuring out if the clock is reading CST or EST is confusing.

Well, that is your problem - it should be CDT or EDT! :nana:

:mrgreen:

Looks like you on the first and second pages of Killboy - lookin' good! (also 2 on previous page)

first 8 on second page
last 2 on first page

(just click on "Continue" to see them)

:thumb:

Last edited:
Day 4
Tuesday April 29

I left my mark on the carpet in the room. Oops. Nobody said the Strom was light.

288293047_pKSFP-O.jpg

Packing the bike back up is getting just a little quicker and easier. Or maybe I've just learned to not unpack as much overnight so there's less to do in the a.m.

288293046_zcTSy-O.jpg

First thing's first - head south to "tag" South Carolina, then motor my way northeast.

288293042_mEoWs-O.jpg

The plan is to get a good push on mileage so I'll have an easier day getting up to New Jersey to see my family. As much as I'm enjoying the solitude of the trip, I'm social by nature and the casual conversations with strangers while on the road just aren't cutting it for me.

I've not wrapped my arms around my sister for a hug in nearly a year. I'm overdue.

It was chilly, but the miles went by quickly out on the interstate.

288293080_QHFGm-O.jpg

At the state line, there was a truck loaded with cement blocks parked next to the sign. Maybe the driver was a wanted man in SC and afraid to enter? I don't really care what his reasoning was - it made for a sucky picture.

288293088_Vqxsw-O.jpg

So I headed up towards the Blue Ridge Parkway. After reporting how enjoyable the Natchez Trace was, RocketBunny advised I'd enjoy the BRP.

288293104_v4HnA-O.jpg

I made it 10 or 15 miles in when orange signs blared the announcement that the Parkway was closed up ahead. I followed the detour signs down to I40 - "Parkway North Detour Exit 86".

I just got on at exit 55. This is one heck of a detour.

288293113_shG4B-O.jpg

Um... did Robin need help finding it?

288293085_fvXAg-O.jpg

A few exits from my intermediate goal, I decided the restrooms at the Chamber of Commerce were calling me.

288293116_gUQGP-O.jpg

I stopped in, bought some post cards and a map of the Parkway for $1, and learned some local knowledge about the BRP around these parts. The woman at the desk advised I head up Route 80 as an alternate to the scheduled detour, then backtrack south to Mount Mitchell to see the highest point east of the Mississippi River.

As I made my way up 80, I realized this was going to be as twisty as the Dragon, or at least a close second. What had I gotten myself into? There wasn't even a sticker to be earned for this one!

288293135_c2oDK-O.jpg

I wasn't going to be able to take pictures along the way, and I needed proof that I tackled this one - so I rigged the camera on my left mirror stalk using my mini tripod and set it to take video. (I don't have video editing software with me, so that will have to wait until I get back home.)

It was nerve wracking. I did most of it in first and second gear, and there were two switchbacks that really had me regretting the decision to head up the side of a mountain. Making it even worse were the locals that would come flying at me using almost half of my lane.

Once atop the Parkway, I headed south but it wasn't long before the beautiful scenery was overshadowed by the sheer drop-offs, lack of guard rails, and overall altitude intensity.

Acrophobia sucks. It turns what should be a beautiful ride on a curvy road into a terrorizing event that seems to go on forever.

288293150_tRyH3-O.jpg

The more miles I'd backtracked, the closer I was to the goal of Mt. Mitchell. I couldn't turn back now - I had to do it. I had to prove to myself that I could. This was NOT going to be another "Coronado Trail incident".

288293137_uriMa-O.jpg

The overlook area was large and flat enough for me to safely park the bike and decide my next move.

288293156_TooGq-O.jpg

288293155_dRUG9-O.jpg

We were so high up, there was still snow on the ground within the shade of the pine trees. Not one to pass up an opportunity, Spank tried to make a snowman. There wasn't enough, so he made do with a snowball.

288293175_jrRgb-O.jpg

What you can't see here is that Spank is giving the construction sign the finger.

288293173_4vFjv-O.jpg

(to be continued)

Back