• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Down The Road I Go...

(day 4 continued)

We decided that we were cold and hungry, but there was no telling how much longer it would be before we'd reach anything resembling a town. Out came the Jetboil and some camp food for a mountain-top picnic.

288293214_X9524-O.jpg

288293177_k47uU-O.jpg

288293211_fg67p-O.jpg

We decided to head back, but the cold was overpowering my ability to stay relaxed through the curves and elevation. I needed to head back down off the ridge, but there was no way I'd take 80 again. Instead, I opted for the scheduled detour back down to Marion.

288293209_wwSmP-O.jpg

Which was just as bad as the ride up! 10 and 15 mph switchbacks, warning signs for trucks and RVs, and lots of blind turns. After a while I got tired of holding the clutch in, so I put it in neutral and coasted down feathering the brakes.

288293229_f3cpS-O.jpg

The interstate was boring, but I was just glad to be back on (mentally) solid footing. I'd made a full circle out of the BRP 'event' and lost a half day or mileage.

marionloopzq2.jpg

I motored east, heading for Greensboro.

My shadow grew longer...

288293237_CnWqK-O.jpg

I was glad the setting sun was behind me and not straight in my eyes.

288293254_NKrBK-O.jpg

As I neared my intended destination, I was just getting my second wind. I needed to make up for the mileage I'd lost earlier so I pressed on for Durham, NC.

288293263_XGnmS-O.jpg

I made it there but got mixed up finding the hotel I'd selected - I hadn't loaded this section of the state into my GPS because I had no idea I'd be traveling this far east on the trip. I saw the glowing green and white calling me from a Starbucks sign and headed there to grab a cup o' joe and get my bearings.

I ended up at the Howard Johnsons, a very clean and friendly place just minutes from the Duke campus.

North & South Carolina
375 miles

288298434_e46ej-O.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures on the dragon are great, you need to get those for your scrapbook. A couple of pictures later there's a Goldwing in the same section scraping it's pegs. :eek2:

The pictures on the dragon are great, you need to get those for your scrapbook. A couple of pictures later there's a Goldwing in the same section scraping it's pegs. :eek2:

I'm actually quite embarrassed - I'm barely leaning at all. I was in first gear and going about 16 mph through there... :doh:

We'll have to wait and see what ZeeFoto and Killboy got of me out there,

Nothing on ZeePhoto for 4/28 - yet. Maybe it will appear later.

Looks like you on the first and second pages of Killboy - lookin' good! (also 2 on previous page)

first 8 on second page
last 2 on first page

(just click on "Continue" to see them)

:thumb:

Total of 10 pictures on 2 pages - so you don't miss any.

Great report so far. I found your Dragon pics on Killboy, April 28 in the touring bikes section at the bottom of the page. They look awesome! You're gonna want to order some of those. :rider:

Pay attention, Sparky! :nana:

Squeaky - don't forget the family pictures in NJ - I want to see if your sister has the family resemblence of you and Heath... :ponder:

I'm actually quite embarrassed - I'm barely leaning at all. I was in first gear and going about 16 mph through there... :doh:

And it was also the first time you had ridden that road and were exiting a blind turn. What do you have to be embarrassed about?

Now I know what's wrong, if you're paying that much attention to your speedo then no wonder you were going that slow!!! Eyes on the road girl!

Wow great pictures!! :clap:

I think your KillBoy pictures look great! Definitely get some. :thumb:

I'm jealous. What an awesome trip.

:popcorn:

Now I know what's wrong, if you're paying that much attention to your speedo then no wonder you were going that slow!!! Eyes on the road girl!

Well, I looked down to check it since I'd been passed by two bikes, five cars, and one flatbed truck :giveup:

Kathy did the same as you on the Dragon when we went in '06. I was leading and having a blast just focusing on the road, and I looked for her in my mirrors she wasn't there. I called her on the radio she was about 1/2 to 3/4 mile behind me just taking her time. When we got to the overlook to turn around she came in probably a minute behind me. Going back to Deals Gap she was in front of me so I could video her since I videoed going up. The time difference between the 2 vids is only like 3 mins. I never got going faster than about 40 mph and saw 4th gear only in couple of spots very breifly. When we watched the video at home we marveled at the color on the trees( we were there in the fall) cause we never saw them when riding. She says that we go again later this year that she won't ride the Dragon again, but she will. You have to be careful the Dragon will bite you.
She did good and so did you. I am enjoying the report on your trip keep it up.
Marty

Your killboy pics are great! Squeaky & Wilbur on the Dragon. Wilbur sporting new jewelery (Dragon Sticker).:rider: :rider: :rider:
Marty

Last edited:
I just get a blank map when I go to the SPOT page. It shows a note that there have been no new messages in the past 24 hours, but that's it. Is there something I'm supposed to click on?

I just get a blank map when I go to the SPOT page. It shows a note that there have been no new messages in the past 24 hours, but that's it. Is there something I'm supposed to click on?

It only gives info on the last 24 hours - she has been idle (except for the computer) for a bit longer than that.

Maybe she will go outside and press the "OK" button... :trust:

That was my assumption, but didn't know for sure. I just checked prices on ebay and one vendor has them for $140 right now. I don't think I'll need one until next Apr/May so I'll wait on a purchase and see if the price drops a little.

Day 5
Wednesday April 30

The original plan had me landing in New Jersey at my sister's place for the night, but that was many miles an states away from Durham, NC. I have to stick to interstates if I'm going to make it there before my nephews' bedtime.

288293907_fsErS-O.jpg

Spank, you ready to hold on tight? This is going to be a high speed day!

288293915_bfw7T-O.jpg

Headed north up 85 and got my Virginia welcome sign on a cool, shaded shoulder.

288293926_fhzmZ-O.jpg

Stopped just shy of Richmond for a quick lunch and refueling.

288293936_L39bt-O.jpg

288293945_td9YX-O.jpg

Made it to DC by early afternoon.

288293946_B6fkD-O.jpg

I decided that if I was this close to national monuments, I might as well take the time to stop and get some proper pictures with my bike.

288293970_h57uq-O.jpg

288293976_kYKhQ-O.jpg

After struggling with tourists on foot, in cars, and in caravans of busses I hit the highway to head north again. DC doesn't feel the need to put up signs, so I guess nobody is welcome here.

Now I had to fight my way towards Baltimore with mass commuters trying to make it home for the night.

I'd made it into Maryland but without a Welcome sign letting me know when it happened.

288293975_Y6qUL-O.jpg

Bridges

288293991_6WejL-O.jpg

And tunnels

288293993_tKYDa-O.jpg

288293994_ZEAcC-O.jpg

And bridges

288294007_djdEV-O.jpg

And then there was Delaware. Tiny state, big sign.

288294013_NoPN3-O.jpg

Then more bridges.

288294023_CxeAR-O.jpg

288294029_6v846-O.jpg

Welcome to New Jersey!

288294040_uqaUp-O.jpg

It was the homestretch. I was in the state, all I needed to do was make it north to Hackettstown before it was pitch black.

288294055_oLs3n-O.jpg

I was losing the race with the sun.

Off the interstate and northbound on 206, all I wanted was a hug when I arrived.

288294058_PxjFi-O.jpg

I got more than a hug. I got to read him not one, but TWO bedtime stories!

288294074_vdZ9M-O.jpg

288294063_WLxc7-O.jpg

North Carolina, Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey
516 miles

288298979_w4BFf-O.jpg

Day 5
Wednesday April 30

stories!

288294074_vdZ9M-O.jpg

288294063_WLxc7-O.jpg

North Carolina, Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey
516 miles

288298979_w4BFf-O.jpg

Man I have never been so sosoooooooooooooooo so I can't even think of the words to describe how it has felt following you on this adventure.. It is a heavy load you carry to be responsible to all of us poooooor unfortunate people that cannot for whatever reasons do what you are doing.. Good Grief Girl..... I can't even think how to tell you how proud I am of you and I'm soooo new to this forum the first thing I did was click on this thread and now I can't wait to read the next installment... Thank You!! and that seems weak and not enough but that's what I got ... and again Thank You for :rider: including me in your trip..:rider:

Good going. Nice trip report and pics. Those bridges in Natchez across the Mississippi river looks familiar. :trust: September, 2007 and I was on the return leg of a trip. :rider:

100_1225.jpg

Great Ride report! Great pics! Glad you made it safe and you got in two stories.. you go girl!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Day 5
Wednesday April 30
SNIP
I got more than a hug. I got to read him not one, but TWO bedtime stories!

288294074_vdZ9M-O.jpg

SNIP

Dang girl. You're, like, the COOLEST aunt in the world! Not only did you read two bedtime stories, you SHOWED UP ON A MOTORCYCLE!!

I mean, does it get any cooler? I don't think so.

Looking forward to the rest of the trip report (your stay and your trip home). Ride safe...can't wait to hear about stuff you're NOT putting in this report at Java Joe's.

Dang girl. You're, like, the COOLEST aunt in the world! Not only did you read two bedtime stories, you SHOWED UP ON A MOTORCYCLE!!

I mean, does it get any cooler? I don't think so.

And he was wearing his MX pajamas when I got there!

We had a talk today about the difference between a bicycle and a motorcycle. He likes it and is considering hopping on it with me, but his mother isn't excited about anything but picture taking while parked.

His brother thinks my key tastes yummy. :lol2:

Back