• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Downsize/Downgrade. Am I crazy?

The flow through cans have some issues from the little bit of research I’ve done. If it’s just for a range toy they’re okay.

But for duty use the popular ones today heat up really fast so they have a huge signature under nods and, as I recall, don’t suppress flash signature all that well compared to a good traditional can.
That depends entirely on the material they're made out. Titanium LBP cans do head up quickly, and have very little flash suppression, but that's any lightweight titanium can. C.A.T. (Combat Application Technologies) makes their flow thru cans out of inconel, with an option for titanium for that very reason. I don't care much about signature or flash suppression. I'm not going into battle, just trying to protect my hearing and the hearing of those around me.
I cannot see ditching your Triumph but I sure can easily see the fun in riding a small bore on even a long tour. Human Race did it and survivedjust fine on a DRZ400 if I remember correctly. My very first "tour" was on an SL125 Honda back in 1972. I went from San Jose CA across the central valley, over Yosemite's Tioga pass, up US395 to Kingsbury grade by Gardnerville, then hit south shore Lake Tahoe and back down Highway 50 and on interstate 80 at 48mph during the 55 mph phase of national speed limits. 625 miles total and I had the time of my life! I carry so much gear now, I have no idea where I'd reduce for a smaller bore ride if camping.
Yeah... I'm fairly sure I won't be ditching it. I'm going to ride it to work tomorrow just to see. Thankfully I don't carry much if I do camp anyways. Small tent, alcohol stove if needed. I try to pack light. If I need to camp heavy I'll throw the WRR in the truck bed and haul the camper.

Sounds like you had quite the trip.

That depends entirely on the material they're made out. Titanium LBP cans do head up quickly, and have very little flash suppression, but that's any lightweight titanium can. C.A.T. (Combat Application Technologies) makes their flow thru cans out of inconel, with an option for titanium for that very reason. I don't care much about signature or flash suppression. I'm not going into battle, just trying to protect my hearing and the hearing of those around me.

Yeah... I'm fairly sure I won't be ditching it. I'm going to ride it to work tomorrow just to see. Thankfully I don't carry much if I do camp anyways. Small tent, alcohol stove if needed. I try to pack light. If I need to camp heavy I'll throw the WRR in the truck bed and haul the camper.

Sounds like you had quite the trip.
Just the start of another 800k miles ;

I hadn't seen those CAT cans but they certainly tame the flash signature down. I'm only familiar with the Huxwrx.

I'd like to see the CAT cans under night vision. Unless they have an air gap they're probably still going to heat up pretty quick and glow compared to a regular can unless Inconel has some magical properties I'm not aware of.

Here's how the Huxwrx Flow 5.56 looks under nods. It bad. It really bad.

Timestamped for your viewing pleasure.

I hadn't seen those CAT cans but they certainly tame the flash signature down. I'm only familiar with the Huxwrx.

I'd like to see the CAT cans under night vision. Unless they have an air gap they're probably still going to heat up pretty quick and glow compared to a regular can unless Inconel has some magical properties I'm not aware of.

Here's how the Huxwrx Flow 5.56 looks under nods. It bad. It really bad.

Timestamped for your viewing pleasure.
CAT uses much different technology on their flow thru cans than huxwrx, in terms of how the baffles are set up, and how the gas flows through them. Remember, they're 3d printed. Inconel heats up much slower and when it does glow, it's a much duller glow. I've welded more inconel and similar super alloys than most will in a life time.

Ordered some Heidenau K60 Scouts the other day, and they'll be here Monday. I like the IRC Knobbies, but I live in the Texas Hill Country. I don't exactly need them. A good 60/40ish ADV tire will do better.

Back