• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DR650 help...

Reaction score
I know I haven’t been on in a while, been kind of crazed with family and work. Need an assist, though:

Rode my DR last Memorial Weekend on the Sisters, got home and parked it at a friend’s house. I specifically asked him to keep it covered or in the garage, so water didn’t get in the gas.

Fast forward to next time I check it: no joy.

I’m thinking it’s the battery, because the battery was already bad in it. Left it, and didn’t worry about it. Had a new to me VTX.

But then the itch to ride dirt began to come back...

Changed the battery, drained the gas and put fresh in.

Sputters, but still no joy.

Ok, try new plugs. Pulled the old ones, and they’re a bit dirty. So, in go the new ones and we try again.

Sputter... sputter sputter... white smoke, sputter and almost catch.

But won’t actually catch.

I’m afraid there’s water in the carb, but I am uncomfortable pulling that apart.

Any other ideas? Things I should try? ****, if someone’s in the Fort Worth area and willing to come to Benbrook to help, I’ll feed ya up really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The carb is going to have to come off and be cleaned.

This is a pretty comprehensive breakdown on the carb. Pretty good read. Hardest part about cleaning is getting it on and off the bike. Use sonic cleaner if you can. I think you can get a complete rebuild kit from Procycle if needed.

I know I haven’t been on in a while, been kind of crazed with family and work. Need an assist, though:

Rode my DR last Memorial Weekend on the Sisters, got home and parked it at a friend’s house. I specifically asked him to keep it covered or in the garage, so water didn’t get in the gas.

Fast forward to next time I check it: no joy.

I’m thinking it’s the battery, because the battery was already bad in it. Left it, and didn’t worry about it. Had a new to me VTX.

But then the itch to ride dirt began to come back...

Changed the battery, drained the gas and put fresh in.

Sputters, but still no joy.

Ok, try new plugs. Pulled the old ones, and they’re a bit dirty. So, in go the new ones and we try again.

Sputter... sputter sputter... white smoke, sputter and almost catch.

But won’t actually catch.

I’m afraid there’s water in the carb, but I am uncomfortable pulling that apart.

Any other ideas? Things I should try? ****, if someone’s in the Fort Worth area and willing to come to Benbrook to help, I’ll feed ya up really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any luck getting it running? I haven't been on the forums in awhile and just saw your post. I live in Benbrook and would be willing to help out if you still need it!

Back