• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dragoo Adventure Rider Training (D.A.R.T.) class Feb 18, 2019 - Sterling Ranch Motorcycle & ATV Park, Willis, Tx.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
[There are a LOT of pics here, so it may take a minute or two to load. Please be patient...]

I did not get out to the class until mid afternoon on the last day, so I missed most of the action. However, I was able to get some shots and some videos.

DO NOT ask me anyone's name! :-P If you see yourself or your bike in a pic/vid, speak up. There were some seriously nice bikes out there!

Sweet Triumph 1200 Adventure, I think the only Triumph out there today

One of the new 1250 GSAs - not sure what the "exclusive" means :shrug:

Jarrett's AT1000

Jorge "Ocho" and Jarrett, not sure who that is far left or far right.

The big KTM!

Kicking it Old's Cool on an 1150 GS!

Jorge on his Versys 300

Had to give him a helping push to get out of the big rut

Every one heads across the dam to the big rocky creek crossing and one of the short single track loops

Jarrett heading out

Spill way for the dam

The rocky creek crossing, which not a whole lot of people attempted... :ponder:

Bill shows how it is done and makes it look EASY! :cool2:

What you don't see here is the big mud pit just over the rise behind Bill, the guy in the hat that everyone is looking at

Once these big bikes get stalled going up hill on loose stuff, it is hard to get them going again! Momentum is EVERYTHING!

The only lady in the class, on a Super Sherpa 250. She didn't quite make it going across the first time, but aced it going back!!

The mud pit

Bill's bike again

Coming into this corner it is wet and deep soft sand. Then they head off to the single track. I am amazed at how well some of the guys on the BIG bikes did on that stuff!!

This is the approach to the corner

All those guys wussed out and went the easy way back to the main area :-P

But first, they had a bit of sand to deal with :trust:

Jarrett did the single track and got up this pretty steep hill climb great! Down at the bottom was a creek crossing with a steep approach covered in loose sand. Coming back up this side there were several pretty big "steps" to get over to washed out roots.

The sandy approach to the creek is back there where one of the instructors is waiting.

A better view of the mud pit by the creek crossing

Broken windshield and other bits on his pretty new ride, but he's still going at it and having a blast!

Hmmm... :ponder:

Bill about to explain proper bike towing technique

Strap to right peg on tow bike and left peg on towed bike. Strap that loops over peg.

Towed bike should seek to stay off to one side at about a 5-20 degree angle to avoid strap with front and so as not to create to much side load on either bike if they get out too far.

Communication between riders is KEY!!

A Wee Strom 650 towing a might KTM! :eek2::lol2:

Even the Super Sherpa was able to tow another bike without any problems.

A few of the obstacles used during the training

The Sherpa takes it turn getting towed

I totally forgot her name :doh: She is from Norman, Ok. and her boyfriend works at the BMW place in the Woodlands (He's also from Norman).

Cory?

Totally out of focus because I was too close, but that little clip strap thing is cool, like a reusable zip tie.

I think it was 38 riders and 6 instructors.

I would love to have been able to take this class, but had other obligations on Sunday and I thought I had to work Monday. When I got to work, my Dad asked why I was there... Apparently, he forgot to tell me we were taking the day off, which we've historically never done :roll: So I high tailed it down some back roads through the Sam Houston NF to get to Brad's place and watch the class. Brad Burch owns the ranch. It was nice to meet Bill and see the other folks. Glenn St. John and Woodsguy were both there with their proper dirt bikes, pretending to be old and slow...

I am still waiting on all the videos to upload to YouTube. I'll put those in the next post.

Last edited:
So I've not used this camera (Olympus T5) to do video much before this. To my eye, the videos are a bit over exposed. Maybe I didn't have something set right... :shrug: Anyway, here we go...

And that's all I got!

I had a great ride home. I headed over to the Chik-Fil-A in Willis via some little back roads for a bite to eat, then headed West toward Montgomery to run some dirt roads. Got to play in some sand and deep gravel. Dodged a HUGE black dog that thought better of charging me right at the last second. And generally enjoyed a fantastic evening!

T5100837.jpg

Last edited:
I did not get out to the class until mid afternoon on the last day, so I missed most of the action. However, I was able to get some shots and some videos.

DO NOT ask me anyone's name! :-P If you see yourself or your bike in a pic/vid, speak up. There were some seriously nice bikes out there!

View attachment 228057

I believe this is Bill Dragoo's personal bike
View attachment 228058

View attachment 228059

View attachment 228060

View attachment 228061

Sweet Triumph 1200 Adventure, I think the only Triumph out there today
View attachment 228062

View attachment 228063

One of the new 1250 GSAs - not sure what the "exclusive" means :shrug:
View attachment 228064

View attachment 228065

Jarrett's AT1000
View attachment 228066

Jorge "Ocho" and Jarrett, not sure who that is far left or far right.
View attachment 228067

The big KTM!
View attachment 228068

Kicking it Old's Cool on an 1150 GS!
View attachment 228069

View attachment 228070

View attachment 228071

View attachment 228072

Jorge on his Versys 300
View attachment 228073

Had to give him a helping push to get out of the big rut
View attachment 228074

Every one heads across the dam to the big rocky creek crossing and one of the short single track loops
View attachment 228075

Jarrett heading out
View attachment 228076

Spill way for the dam
View attachment 228077

The rocky creek crossing, which not a whole lot of people attempted... :ponder:
View attachment 228078

Bill shows how it is done and makes it look EASY! :cool2:
View attachment 228079

View attachment 228080

View attachment 228081

What you don't see here is the big mud pit just over the rise behind Bill, the guy in the hat that everyone is looking at
View attachment 228082

Once these big bikes get stalled going up hill on loose stuff, it is hard to get them going again! Momentum is EVERYTHING!
View attachment 228083

View attachment 228084

The only lady in the class, on a Super Sherpa 250. She didn't quite make it going across the first time, but aced it going back!!
View attachment 228085

The mud pit
View attachment 228086

Bill's bike again
View attachment 228087

Coming into this corner it is wet and deep soft sand. Then they head off to the single track. I am amazed at how well some of the guys on the BIG bikes did on that stuff!!
View attachment 228088

This is the approach to the corner
View attachment 228089

All those guys wussed out and went the easy way back to the main area :-P
View attachment 228090

But first, they had a bit of sand to deal with :trust:
View attachment 228091

View attachment 228092

View attachment 228093

View attachment 228094

Jarrett did the single track and got up this pretty steep hill climb great! Down at the bottom was a creek crossing with a steep approach covered in loose sand. Coming back up this side there were several pretty big "steps" to get over to washed out roots.
View attachment 228095

View attachment 228096

The sandy approach to the creek is back there where one of the instructors is waiting.
View attachment 228097

View attachment 228098

View attachment 228099

A better view of the mud pit by the creek crossing
View attachment 228100

Broken windshield and other bits on his pretty new ride, but he's still going at it and having a blast!
View attachment 228101

Hmmm... :ponder:
View attachment 228102

View attachment 228103

Bill about to explain proper bike towing technique
View attachment 228104

View attachment 228105

View attachment 228106

Strap to right peg on tow bike and left peg on towed bike. Strap that loops over peg.
View attachment 228107

View attachment 228108

Towed bike should seek to stay off to one side at about a 5-20 degree angle to avoid strap with front and so as not to create to much side load on either bike if they get out too far.
View attachment 228109

Communication between riders is KEY!!
View attachment 228110

View attachment 228111

A Wee Strom 650 towing a might KTM! :eek2::lol2:
View attachment 228112

Even the Super Sherpa was able to tow another bike without any problems.
View attachment 228113

A few of the obstacles used during the training
View attachment 228114

The Sherpa takes it turn getting towed
View attachment 228115

View attachment 228116

I totally forgot her name :doh: She is from Norman, Ok. and her boyfriend works at the BMW place in the Woodlands (He's also from Norman).
View attachment 228117

Cory?
View attachment 228118

View attachment 228119

View attachment 228120

View attachment 228121

Totally out of focus because I was too close, but that little clip strap thing is cool, like a reusable zip tie.
View attachment 228122

View attachment 228123

I think it was 38 riders and 6 instructors.
View attachment 228124

I would love to have been able to take this class, but had other obligations on Sunday and I thought I had to work Monday. When I got to work, my Dad asked why I was there... Apparently, he forgot to tell me we were taking the day off, which we've historically never done :roll: So I high tailed it down some back roads through the Sam Houston NF to get to Brad's place and watch the class. Brad Burch owns the ranch. It was nice to meet Bill and see the other folks. Glenn St. John and Woodsguy were both there with their proper dirt bikes, pretending to be old and slow...

I am still waiting on all the videos to upload to YouTube. I'll put those in the next post.
A few of those bikes had actual street tires:flip:

Brave soles!

Thanks for the photos and videos, Scott. Nice to finally meet you, glad you made it.

Thank you so much for catching my creek crossing. I really made a splash!! That would be the Drunk Uncle rocking the 1150.

The rubber cable tie may look neat, but can be a **** in tight spots! Stock BMW part and may even have a part number to order from parts guy.

Scott, i can watch those creeks videos all day. That's that point where the bulk of the bike starts bucking and bobbing over those big chunky rocks and you come to the point of stalling. I hate that feeling but have definitely learned alot over the past year how to not panic and flow and go.

Thanks for all the pics and videos, brilliant!

Scott, thanks for thread, pics, videos, advice, kind words and new profile pic. I thought that pic was going to look like this :shock:

It was good to get to talk with you in person again. I thought it was cool to hear Bill Dragoo say this forum had generated a lot of business for him. He seemed happy you were there yesterday.

I'm not sure what to say about Bill's class other than take it! It's got something for everyone. There were guys there that had taken it multiple times and were still getting stuff from it. The guy and his instructors have so much skill and knowledge that you learn an incredible amount just being there. Way more information and skill than I've picked up in any other training class I've done to this point.

The whole crew is very personable and encouraging and they do a great job of continually assessing how every one is doing and adjusting the curriculum as they go. I was glad to come out of it without injury to me or the bike. The class gave me A LOT more confidence off road on my bike. If you want to ride a big bike in bad places, go take it. It is worth the investment, imo.

That said, know going in that there is the potential for your bike to take some damage. I guess that just goes with the territory with serious off road riding, but there were a lot of damaged bikes by the end of the training. It was tough to watch some of those brand new, shiny, expensive BMW's get broken up. I really felt for those guys, but they all seemed to enjoy the class regardless.

All weekend, the instructors continually pushed me way out of my comfort zone. Pretty much every drill I would think to myself, "They want us to do WHAT?! That's crazy, I'm not doing that... Ok, I'll try it once. Oh, that wasn't quite as hard as I thought it would be. I'm glad I did it." At first, I didn't see any reasoning to what they were telling us to do, but by the end, it all sort of came together and made sense.

I wouldn't have taken my Africa Twin down a tight, wet, sandy, deeply rutted single track on a bet prior to yesterday, but they dragged us in there and I made it through. It wasn't pretty, but I made it from one end to the other without going down and I'll call that a win for me. That one section was considerably harder than the single track we have here locally. I'm jealous of you guys that live near there and get to ride in that regularly. It's a beautiful facility and Brad's hospitality and smoked chicken was fantastic.

I know I'm a broken record on it, but this class really proved DCT technology to me. I know its considered a pavement convenience by many, but I really think its most impressive application is riding off road. Just talking to people, I think that I was the most newbie rider there and I didn't fall all weekend. In my mind, the only reason I didn't was due to DCT. I feel confident had I had to operate a manual shift lever through all of that madness, I would have gone down 20 times or more probably. Several times it felt like I was cheating at how easy some of the drills were using DCT. The Honda engineers really thought that system through well and I'm really glad I had it this weekend as it once again saved my butt.

Jorge, it was good hanging out with you again. I admired your tenacity all weekend. I appreciated your moral support as well. The instructors spoke really highly of Jorge (Ocho) this weekend, he impressed them.

Woodsguy, Drunk Uncle, BRG (I think) and all the other TWT'ers that I forgot your forum name, it was good to spend time and ride with y'all as well. Hope we can do it again sometime. In general, the camaraderie in the ADV world is pretty impressive. Everyone there was helping and encouraging each other. I think a lot of connections were made. That was really cool to see as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just remembered something:

One of the drills was a hill start exercise after stalling a manual bike. As I pulled up to the instructor on the hill at the start of the exercise, he said, "This one is cheating for you. I didn't call you out when I was explaining the drill to the group." I laughed and said, "I appreciate that..." and easily motored on up the hill. He had seen the DCT tech in action in previous classes and said he was impressed with it.

Speaking of, these guys were so knowledageable that they would give me specific tips for doing things with a DCT bike versus a traditional bike. I thought it was cool that they had enough experience with folks on DCT bikes to know how to teach differently for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Convinced me...I'm fixin' to sign up for the May 6,7 class in OK.

Done. May 6 in Norman, OK. Looking forward to it.

Now, need to get proper tires. The expenses never end...

Now, need to get proper tires. The expenses never end...

For the class, I would recommend an aggressive tire, like the TKC 80 or something REAL close to it. The Shinko 805's like to side slip in the loose stuff.

I had a TKC80 on the front and Mitas E07+ Dakar on the back.

The back end slipped around on me a few times, but only in places where everyone else's bike was too like wet mud and loose sand.

I do wonder how different it would have been with a TKC80 on the back.

Thanks for posting this, Scott. That took a lot of time and effort.

It was nice to meet you as well as many other TWT members! Hopefully I will be able to ride with some of y'all in the near future.

I was on the blue GS with the yellow aux lights in one of your videos.

Greg

Saw someone messing with their spokes. I do hope it gets to the shop. 1). There is a #3 Allen head grub screw in the spoke head. 2) if the wheels where manufactured after June 18 there is a service bulletin out, but the spokes have to be loose when brought into the shop. 7 or more loose = new wheel.

Saw someone messing with their spokes. I do hope it gets to the shop. 1). There is a #3 Allen head grub screw in the spoke head. 2) if the wheels where manufactured after June 18 there is a service bulletin out, but the spokes have to be loose when brought into the shop. 7 or more loose = new wheel.

There was at least one broken spoke for sure. It was flapping around, hitting stuff, and was bent. I think the rider said there were several others that were loose. I saw it was he was coming up that last climb on the single track loop and pointed it out to an instructor.

I think it was this bike,

Back