• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ 400S did great at 8600ft elevation with no jetting mods

I own a stock 2014 DRZ 400S. This past weekend I rode the NMBDR Section 1 route from Dell City to Cloudcroft and back. I'd read so many people on forums say that going from virtually sea level to that altitude would require a JD jet kit mod for it to run well.

Before I left I decided to call the Alamogordo Suzuki dealer and ask their opinion and they said she'd likely do fine. So I decided to take as is and see how it performed. To my great surprise I had zero issues and it ran great. Curious if other DRZ owners have had the same results?

Wow, that's awesome! I think its luck of the draw sometimes. I took my carbureted ninja 250r to monarch pass (11,000ft and 45°) and it struggled a lot on those steep climbs. It was jetted well for texas so somewhere around 1000ft elevation at 90°F. In the cold, high mountains it barely had enough power and I really felt it. That's my only experience taking a bike to high altitude.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feed back! That puts things into perspective. No doubt that added 2,500 feet in elevation would cause power loss without a jetting mod. I'll keep that in mind if I ever head to Colorado. Just glad I dont have to mess with it for any riding at 8,000-9,000 ft.

Thanks for the feed back! That puts things into perspective. No doubt that added 2,500 feet in elevation would cause power loss without a jetting mod. I'll keep that in mind if I ever head to Colorado. Just glad I dont have to mess with it for any riding at 8,000-9,000 ft.
You might feel it less on a bigger engine that's got more torque. The ninja has all its power up high and I'm sure that requires a lot of air. The jump from 7500ft-11000 was definitely noticeable though so it's something to keep in mind for sure.

Probably varies from one machine to the other but yeah, 10K seems to be the magic elevation... even when jetted for it you still just run low on O2. I quit rejetting the 530 years ago. The KLR however... benefits greatly.