• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ experts inside

Good thing you quit listening to me, Mitch. I searched around and can't find the little spare rubber bumpers I had for the tank, so I guess I will order some. I am glad you drained the oil. The thing ran so good, but you do need to turn off the gas when you shut it down. I should have let you change the needle and float, or at least the o-ring. Sorry about that, sir. Lesson learned, listen to Erik not to Doug.
:clap:

I don't blame anyone except myself.
Lesson learned indeed.

It's been decades since I've messed with a carb.
So I'm starting over. It's fun getting elbow deep in a project.
Even more so doing it with friends.

I'm forever in your debt.

I ordered new pucks .... $2 each.
Didn't realize you wanted a set for PPs SS inventory or I would've added them to the order.

I figure the Counter shaft seal will need attention soon.
I'll add pucks to that order.
I also have a couple oil filters for you.

Reflection ....

The most expensive part in this journey has been all the oil I've flushed. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you but
I’m not sure that is sound advice...LOL
I jump out of perfectly good airplanes for fun.
I spent a career running towards gunfire instead of away from it and I find it interesting and fun to approach a 120 mile an hour down hill off camber, decreasing radius corner at 119

Good thing you quit listening to me, Mitch. I searched around and can't find the little spare rubber bumpers I had for the tank, so I guess I will order some. I am glad you drained the oil. The thing ran so good, but you do need to turn off the gas when you shut it down. I should have let you change the needle and float, or at least the o-ring. Sorry about that, sir. Lesson learned, listen to Erik not to Doug.
:clap:

Last edited:
I get that, sir. Thanks for your service as well.

Hey Mitch, I may have that seal, I will look, let you know tomorrow.

Well of course you do ...

When it rains ...

I hear a slight hiss coming from the area where my air compressor sits.

I locate the leak to a busted drain line pipe. Probably had water in it and it froze.
The small fitting twisted off in the giant plug at the bottom of the tank.

I don;t have a wrench large enough to fit the plug ... no slip joint pliers, no crescent no pipe wrench.

Canvasing the neighborhood looking for a wrench of some sort.

Last edited:
How on earth do you round off your nuts and bolts without those tools? Those are essential tools for every garage and toolkit!

I manage to do so nicely

Don't you have a welder? Or, some JB-Weld. It's only got to last 20-30 years. ;-)

Purchased in late 1998 ...

Happy to report that Norton John had a pipe wrench and the compressor is now fixed.

And no fuel has leaked and bike bursts to life in sub-freezing weather.

Last edited:
Steel.

Also, the dipstick is gone.

You jinxed me. I'd never heard of this happening until I read your post, then I go to check the oil on my oil burner prior to Big bend and no dip stick. Sure did enjoy mine while there, and I was very happy that I reworked the suspension last spring. It's like riding a different bike.

Purchased in late 1998 ...

Happy to report that Norton John had a pipe wrench and the compressor is now fixed.

And no fuel has leaked and bike bursts to life in sub-freezing weather.

Good deal, you need to ride to Glen Rose this weekend and we can play....I probably had a wrench that fit as well, sir.

Good deal, you need to ride to Glen Rose this weekend and we can play....I probably had a wrench that fit as well, sir.

Received a shipment from Rocky Mountain today with new gas tank mounts.
Might take you up on the ride. Need to see if goes, stops and turns.

I might have to swap out with you and see how anemic a stocker can be. But really, I have only ridden a stock S which was at Granbury Motorsports. I loved it, but I was between SM's at that time.

It's back together and very few extra parts!

what are you doing tomorrow afternoon?

Sissy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well ... that was fun.

The hooligan ran great.

Still have a fuel leak.
Can't tell if it is from the petcock mating surface or a split in the tank itself.

Need to drain the fuel (again) and pull the tank (again) for a closer look.

Hey, clean out the spark plug drain hole while you have the tank off. Mitch and I both were nervous riding on knobby tires. Fun to play with a stocker, though.

I'm declaring tentative success ... no fuel leak overnight.

Was able to remove the fuel petcock without removing the tank.
It appears the o-ring seal at either the spacer or at the tank had used up all it's lives.
Had new seals and replaced them both.

I'm declaring tentative success ... no fuel leak overnight.

Was able to remove the fuel petcock without removing the tank.
It appears the o-ring seal at either the spacer or at the tank had used up all it's lives.
Had new seals and replaced them both.

I spoke too soon.

There was a pool of gas under the bike Sunday morning after I had filled the tank.
About a gallon? no leak.
Fill it up? leak.
Never could find the source.

Ordered an Acerbis tank and installed it today.

2KDRZ_07_Acerbis-XL.jpg

2KDRZ_08_Acerbis-XL.jpg

2KDRZ_09_Acerbis-XL.jpg

Ordered it over the IMS and Clarke because it is supposed to contour much like the factory tank, work with the factory shields, seat and radiator guards.

There was some clearance issues with DeVol radiator guards and the bracket the fits into the seat was 1/8" too wide.
A cut-off wheel and scotchbrite disc fixed the bracket and guard clearance.

Last edited:
Huh, so that's what a new Acerbis looks like. Very nice. Has yours got the double petcocks?

Back