• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ Jetting Question: Altitude

Reaction score
I'm a new DRZ owner learning how altitude requires jetting adjustments.

I have an upcoming ride going from 4000 ft to 8000 ft and back in a span of only 24 hours. What elevation do you adjust the jetting to, the 4000 feet or the 8000? Or do I do the average between the two? I have read that taking the air filter cover or snorkel off will help it breath at high altitudes. I would hope that a simple trip wouldn't require adjusting them during the ride! That seems kind of ridiculous to have to do but maybe I have to. Thanks!

i have a 2013 drz that i ride in tx and co i jettin mine for 5000 ft it will run in tx or 12000 ft looses power up high .but i ride in texas more works great .jd jet kit fuel screw fmf pipe 3x3 air box mod.but i ajust fuel screw when we get to co .hope that helps .the best fix was 2015 fe 501 fi problem solved :sun: when the altitude gets high just cant go full throttle .but it made all the passes in colorado

Last edited:
i would highly suggest the jet kit and air box mod realy wakes up that little motor .dont qoute me but i think i read it gives it 6 hp with the pipe but feels like 10 or more

TD, thanks. So you have it set for 5000 ft here in Texas and it works good for both here and Colorado? I will also need to learn how to mess with that fuel screw.

it does okay in both could be better but i dont have to rejet when i haul it co .runs fine here no popping or back fire on decell

The fuel screw only affects idle or slightly off idle. I've never had a problem with a stock carb at 10,000 feet. I remove the left side cover and it runs just fine. I do run a K&N air filter. Multiple trips to NM, CO, and UT.

Last edited:
Thats interesting. This is what I have stock: pilot 22.5 and main jet 142.5. Do you think it would run fine with leaving it as is going up to 8000 ft (Cloudcroft) and taking off the air filter cover if it starts acting up?

Those are both stock so I don't think you would have any problem at 8000'. You may have to remove the side cover.
Adjusting the idle mixture screw:
1. Remove the plug
2. Lightly screw in the mixture screw while counting turns
3. Return to stock turns (should be about 2 to 3 turns)
4. Start the engine and warm up the bike
5. Set the idle to as low as it will smoothly idle
6. Turn the screw in slowly until the idle starts to fall off or miss
7. Turn the screw out until the idle starts to fall off or miss, while counting turns.
8. Set the screw half way between 6 and 7
You may have to adjust the idle during step 7
An alternative way is to just adjust the screw to the highest idle speed.
The final setting should be between 2 and 4 turns out. If less than 2 (it won't be) then the idle jet is too large. If more than 4 (it might be) the idle jet is too small.

Thanks very much. Last clarification. Would I need to do the idle mixture screw as well as the filter cover removal or would the filter cover removal be enough?

Cover only. The mixture screw is only to make it idle smoothly. Most DRZs idle smoothly from the factory.

Back