• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ owner in want of assistance (Closed, thanks for the help)

Reaction score
First Name
Prentice
Last Name
Smith
Hey guys, I want to change the oil on my DRZ, as I don't know the last time it was done. I don't have the supplies, but I can get them; at least the oil anyway, or the money to pay a shop to do it at the moment, was quoted $70 by Cycle Shack. I was wondering if anyone could help me with that or if I should just add some fresh oil to her and call it good for the moment. Anybody able to help a guy out? (Would like to do it today but I know that that'll be a far cry considering I have none of the stuff needed except the ability to get the oil itself. Might be able to pick up the filters if I'm lucky.

I'll also say, I've never done an oil change on a DRZ before but I know it isn't all that hard, just have to find all the correct drain bolts.

Last edited:
Re: DRZ owner in want of assistance

Hey guys, I want to change the oil on my DRZ, as I don't know the last time it was done. I don't have the supplies, but I can get them; at least the oil anyway, or the money to pay a shop to do it at the moment, was quoted $70 by Cycle Shack. I was wondering if anyone could help me with that or if I should just add some fresh oil to her and call it good for the moment. Anybody able to help a guy out? (Would like to do it today but I know that that'll be a far cry considering I have none of the stuff needed except the ability to get the oil itself. Might be able to pick up the filters if I'm lucky.

I'll also say, I've never done an oil change on a DRZ before but I know it isn't all that hard, just have to find all the correct drain bolts.

If you can turn a wrench, HAVE a wrench for the two drain bolts and the oil filter cover, drain pan, 2 liters or quarts oil and a filter, 12mm copper or aluminum sealing washer for the motor drain plug (or the stock crush washer if the local dealer has it), 10mm copper or aluminum sealing washer for the oil tank drain plug, You can change your own oil.

Even if you dont have the filter, you can do the oil change, drain the filter and reinstall..
Filter is a common part to a bunch of models, most dealers will have one in stock.
There is a Napa PN as well PS7931, but its not commonly stocked.

If you want to do it, easy enough.
10mm tool for the filter cover nuts, 12mm tool for the oil tank drain plug, 14mm tool for the motor drain plug.

Here is a basic oil change walk through https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/576918-basic-oil-change-walk-through/

If you read that and have ANY questions post up, lost of good help here, and I know the guy that wrote that oil change walk though pretty well.... I might be able to answer your questions as well.

Last edited:

If you can turn a wrench, HAVE a wrench for the two drain bolts and the oil filter cover, drain pan, 2 at oil and a filter, you can change your own oil.
Even if you dont have the filter, you can do the oil change, drain the filer and reinstall..
Filter is a common part to a bunch of models, most dealers will have one.
There is a Napa PN as well, but its not commonly stocked

I probably could do it, I have tools and I might be able to find a drain pan lying around. Just a matter of finding a flat spot at the storage unit lot.

Thanks for the reply, E.Marquez.

Erik is johnny on the spot with all the answers. I swear he knows everything.
I wore he and doug out with thousands of questions that both have answered thousands of times before.
But they talked me off the ledge a few times and walked me through some interesting dilemmas.

There are tons of videos on DRZ maintenance on youtube.
This guy discusses stuff in very simple terms.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFEJLeiMTIA"]DRZ400S Oil Change - For Noobs By A Noob - YouTube[/ame]

If you were closer to Ft. Worth, I have everything you need ... filter, o-rings and crush seals.

The tube drain is the only whoops I had. The oil will shoot out towards the front tire initially. If you aren't prepared for it, you will make a mess.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Erik is johnny on the spot with all the answers. I swear he knows everything.
I wore he and doug out with thousands of questions that both have answered thousands of times before.
But they talked me off the ledge a few times and walked me through some interesting dilemmas.

There are tons of videos on DRZ maintenance on youtube.
This guy discusses stuff in very simple terms.

DRZ400S Oil Change - For Noobs By A Noob - YouTube

If you were closer to Ft. Worth, I have everything you need ... filter, o-rings and crush seals.

The tube drain is the only whoops I had. The oil will shoot out towards the front tire initially. If you aren't prepared for it, you will make a mess.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Mitch, I managed to get the oil changed with little issues, I'm sure it being dark and just before the office closed helped a bit with not getting told I can't do that there.

Anyhow, ran into another issue...The crankcase bolt, the one that uses the crush washer, isn't getting tight to the block. I believe it's been overtightened before and has split...I'm not sure exactly what to do about it, for now, it's holding, but I didn't start it as I had forgotten the key at the house. I'll be taking it for a ride tomorrow and taking the 14mm socket with me to make sure it holds on. I believe it will though, I mean it was holding before.

My question is how can I fix it? Can I use some J-B Weld and get that to work, or it not a major issue right now since it holds and has been holding for the while that I've owned it? Very slow and minor leak of oil out the bottom from what I've noticed, with it sitting in storage for the past few months.

I plan on rebuilding the motor, with a bigger cylinder and a transmission upgrade that makes it have a better top gear for highway use, sometime before the end of this year if all goes well. Trying to figure out if it's worth keeping the current block or getting a new one and going from there.

This has kind of turned into a 'What's your opinion' thread...oops, lol. Thanks for y'all's help, it is much appreciated.

Ouch!

I'll let other chime in, but it sounds like a helicoil repair to me.

I hate big drain plugs ... requires a big wrench to remove them. Big wrench means big leverage and is a recipe for problems like this.

Ouch!

I'll let other chime in, but it sounds like a helicoil repair to me.

I hate big drain plugs ... requires a big wrench to remove them. Big wrench means big leverage and is a recipe for problems like this.

Especially when the torque spec is only 13 FTLBS! Like *** Suzuki, really? what were they thinkin'?

It's not bad at all, get you a metric socket set starting with 8mm and up, that's all you need for the oil change, drain in two places, fill in one, change the filter.

Especially when the torque spec is only 13 FTLBS! Like *** Suzuki, really? what were they thinkin'?
What's wrong with 13 lbs. Are you sure it's not inch lbs

I see where one is 15lbs and the other is 18lbs. I don't remember ever using a torque wrench on any drain plug ever .

I see where one is 15lbs and the other is 18lbs. I don't remember ever using a torque wrench on any drain plug ever .

I was going off the walkthrough I had on hand, I didn't look at the manual, just wanted to get it snug. It's not going snug. :/

I dont think you should ride it until you get the plug fixed.

I dont think you should ride it until you get the plug fixed.

I'll second that.

Losing oil from the motor is bad.
Losing oil in front of the back tire is badder.

I'm gonna see if, as a temp fix, I can fit a washer over the lip of the case hole and get it to hold the two pieces together that way. Probably take a bit of engineering but I think I can make it work.

Thanks for your reply Mitch, I managed to get the oil changed with little issues, I'm sure it being dark and just before the office closed helped a bit with not getting told I can't do that there.

Anyhow, ran into another issue...The crankcase bolt, the one that uses the crush washer, isn't getting tight to the block. I believe it's been overtightened before and has split...I'm not sure exactly what to do about it, for now, it's holding, but I didn't start it as I had forgotten the key at the house. I'll be taking it for a ride tomorrow and taking the 14mm socket with me to make sure it holds on. I believe it will though, I mean it was holding before.

My question is how can I fix it? Can I use some J-B Weld and get that to work, or it not a major issue right now since it holds and has been holding for the while that I've owned it? Very slow and minor leak of oil out the bottom from what I've noticed, with it sitting in storage for the past few months.

I plan on rebuilding the motor, with a bigger cylinder and a transmission upgrade that makes it have a better top gear for highway use, sometime before the end of this year if all goes well. Trying to figure out if it's worth keeping the current block or getting a new one and going from there.

This has kind of turned into a 'What's your opinion' thread...oops, lol. Thanks for y'all's help, it is much appreciated.

Over tightened rain plugs for this motor most often result in a broken case
attachment.jpg

If you got lucky and it just pulled the threads, that is actually repairable with a thread insert....
But the kit is not cheap at about $100 and takes a bit of understanding and skill to install.

IF the case is not cracked, a repaired case with steel thread insert is as good if not better then stock...no need for new case.
If its cracked, the case is junk. Repair makes no sense in cost, time, or effort..As it will take more time then just rep,acing the case and likely more money as well, .

Attachments

• cracked case drain plug.jpg
    cracked case drain plug.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 328

Over tightened rain plugs for this motor most often result in a broken case
attachment.jpg

If you got lucky and it just pulled the threads, that is actually repairable with a thread insert....
But the kit is not cheap at about $100 and takes a bit of understanding and skill to install.

IF the case is not cracked, a repaired case with steel thread insert is as good if not better then stock...no need for new case.
If its cracked, the case is junk. Repair makes no sense in cost, time, or effort..As it will take more time then just rep,acing the case and likely more money as well, .

In other words, there is no lip and I'm just screwed. Great.

In other words, there is no lip and I'm just screwed. Great.

?? no lip?

Sorry not following you.

Did the case crack at the oil drain ? Or did it just pull (strip) the threads?

?? no lip?

Sorry not following you.

Did the case crack at the oil drain ? Or did it just pull (strip) the threads?

Investigated it today, it stripped the threads from most of it. And I no longer have the oil drain bolt for the case. So no riding for me. :angryfire

Unless I can source one from Home Depot or something.

What happened to the bolt ?

Investigated it today, it stripped the threads from most of it. And I no longer have the oil drain bolt for the case. So no riding for me. :angryfire

Unless I can source one from Home Depot or something.

At this point, the repair must be approached carefully, there is little room for error, and the new hole and threads must be very carefully done. If you bind the drill, use a dull bit or tap, bind the drill in the case, or force the process in any way, you have a high probability of breaking out a section of the case.

At this point, the repair must be approached carefully, there is little room for error, and the new hole and threads must be very carefully done. If you bind the drill, use a dull bit or tap, bind the drill in the case, or force the process in any way, you have a high probability of breaking out a section of the case.

At this point the bike will sit till I can get the money for the rebuild, so nothin' I can do till then.Thanks for y'all's help.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI"]Caddyshack - Well? We're Waiting - YouTube[/ame]

Back