• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual Sport/Offroad training courses in the area?

I've got around 3k out of a Shinko 805 and TKC80 rear tire before I started picking up flats.

This time around I've got a TKC80 on the front and a Mitas E07+ Dakar on the back on the AT.

I can already tell the Mitas is much more slippery (in mud/loose rock/dirt) than the 3k tires. I guess it'll get a real test this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always a compromise.

Soft = grippy = shorter life.

Hard = not so grippy = longer life.

Pick the right tool for the job as always.

What are you running? Shinkos? Mefo? K60's? Something else? I have never gotten that kind of mileage out of ANY kind of rear on my GS. I think the best I ever got was around 6-7K and it was down through the wear bar. Might have been Anakees if I recall correctly. Tourances were about the same.
He runs mitas I believe

What are you running? Shinkos? Mefo? K60's? Something else? I have never gotten that kind of mileage out of ANY kind of rear on my GS..
Mitas E-07 Dakar
11-12k rear, 17-19k front and yes I wear them down further than most. I don't ride slow but I do ride very smooth both on and off road. I also have two rear wheels to better manage tread life and to avoid throwing away remaining rubber. My typical ride is 3-5k miles.

Unfortunately Mitas made a recent change and now you can get only the E-07+ Dakar in big adv sizes. People are reporting much less mileage from these than the non + version. When I run out of my stock of the old ones I plan to give Motoz Tractionator GPS a try. I will not run a Heidenau K60.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

What do you not like about the K60s?
Below
Price
And they square off more than other tires.
af3ff59eb3ef950847ca9964e08d8e09.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

That is interesting. I ran a set of K60s on my 1200 GS on a trip to Utah and Colorado. We rode in dirt, icy slush on pavement, rain, dry, and just about everything else and I never had any issues. That said, they were new when we left and I only put about 1500 miles on them on the actual trip. But, I never had any issues with them at home around here in East Texas. Now the Shinko 705 (750?), whatever they were called, slid on dry pavement!! :eek2: The Shink 805 rear does better, but it seems to square off really fast. I've never tried the Mitas. Might have to do so on the next set. My current 805 rear is about toast and I just plugged a nail hole in it last night, soooo... :ponder:

A little rain would actually be good. It packs the sand/dirt and keeps the dust down. It also makes for better traction. What you don't want is one of those crazy rains that dumps a few inches in a few minutes...

If this class is at Sterling Ranch, that place usually dries out pretty quick.
Normally but right now it's really wet there, great practice, lol. He hasn't really been open in a while, allows a few folks out that know their way around.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Sounds like we have to squeeze in as much as possible on Sunday before the thunderstorms start up Monday morning.

I hope your weather app is more accurate then mine. Accuweather still shows some light rain/drizzle for Monday. Either way looking forward to it.

Weather is AWESOME today! I got out for a nice ride with my son on my 1200GS. The dirt roads were PERFECT! It got up to 77 with low humidity. We don't get many days like this around here...

Seems awesome Tourmeister. I finally get to participate. Keeping all you FF on the road on Saturdays eats up my Saturdays. FF is an ADV Rider abbreviation that violates the family language policy. Super stoked for this class.

Seems awesome Tourmeister. I finally get to participate. Keeping all you FF on the road on Saturdays eats up my Saturdays. FF is an ADV Rider abbreviation that violates the family language policy. Super stoked for this class.
And Monday is a holiday!

Back