• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual Sport Ride - Arkansas - March 13,14 - Mena to Mt. Magazine & Back - UPDATED DATE

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Disclaimers
  • This is a planning thread. The first post will be updated as the plan comes together, so check back.
  • It's still winter, so this could all fold if a snow storm hits. ...or if it's 38 and raining.
  • This is NOT a guided ride. You are responsible for yourself. However, we won't leave you for the coyotes without asking first.
  • My wife will be joining us. She rides a KTM 350. She's not "ride or die". She is more like, "rides with questions".
  • Wondering who we are? Check Heather and I out on IG @ DualSportDispatch

tl;dr - Arrive Shadow Mtn RV in Mena on Fri 3/12. Ride to Cove Lake Campground Sat and back Sun. I'm on a KTM 690. Generally big bike friendly, but ride your own ride. Lots of dirt and some exploring. Camping off bikes Saturday night, so you will need food, water, and way to keep warm & dry while sleeping. 100 mi range min.

The Route and Things We'll See

Day 1 is approximatley 147 mi (purple line). Day 2 is a bit shorter to get us back to trucks in early afternoon, 114 mi (blue line) - Google Map Link and .gpx file

Route2-M.jpg

Buzzard Rock - not to be confused with Buzzards Roost in northern AR. This overlook is near the Huckleberry Camp to the NE of Mt. Magazine. More info on this forest service info-sheet. It's an out-n-back spur off our planned route on Saturday. See "binoculars" waypoint on the google map.
buzzard_rock.jpg

On Sunday morning we will pack sleeping bags and tent and scoot up the road 11 miles to Mt. Magazine Lodge. The Skycrest Restaurant is open for breakfast at 7am. However, you must wear a mask to enter the building. Breakfast menu here. It's the highest point in Arkansas and usually has a great view.

433959_l.jpg

Kirkwood Falls - good spot for a snack late Sunday morning. More info here.

20190209-Lower%2BKirkwood%2BFalls%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Many of the roads look like this, but some rougher, some smoother.

IMG_1174-L.jpg

GPS File (.gpx) - Updated link here

Lodging:

Friday night (3/12): Mena, AR - Shadow Mountain RV Park
  • Spoke to Vonda Mahoney (yes with a V) and she will allow you to rent a cabin for one night with an extra $25 cleaning fee. Usually there is a 2 night minimum. The total inclusive of "truck charge" for leaving a vehicle until Sunday is $111.98 for a cabin for Friday night. Linens are included and there is a bath-house near the cabins, but no bathroom in cabin. If you rent a tent spot or camp in your enclosed trailer or van that's a different deal and they can get you sorted. She requests that you call 15 minutes before arrival, so someone will be sure to be in the office to greet you. Phone # is 479.394.6099.

Saturday night (3/13): Cove Lake Campground
  • I spoke to Kevin at Cove Lake. The water, bath-house, and flush toilets are off until April 1st, but there are pit toilets. Bring own water, food, beer, etc.
  • We reserved site 03. There is probably room for one more tent at our site, but Heather says I periodically snore, so consider yourself warned.

Fuel
Fuel is available in Mena, Danville, Rover, Havana, Paris, and Waldron. You should plan for a range of ~100 mi. Worried about extra gas? Grab a 30oz red MSR fuel bottle. It's a cheap way to extend your range. Amazon link.

Previous Arkansas Ride from May 2020: "Mena to Hot Springs"
Planning
After the Ride

What are you getting into?
If you haven't ridden with us before you should know we're trying to create a fun, well-organized trip that other people can attend. There is no cost and we aren't responsible for your well-being, but we will certainly lend a hand if you need help changing a flat, taping up a floppy boot sole, or picking your bike up after a creek-crossing gone wrong. We are doing this ride and believe "the more the merrier". However, ride your own ride and know your limits.

The ride will be on public roads, so a street legal bike is a must. We will be camping on Saturday night at Cove Lake Campground. The link for Cove Lake above goes straight to the Recreation.gov website to make site reservations.

If you want to check us out more, please take a look at the ride reports or check us out on IG @dualsportdispatch

Our General Schedule - Subject to change, but gives an idea of what the "plan" is...

Fri:
  • 7:00pm Arrive Shadow Mountain RV Park, eat, make a drink, and meet a few new 2 wheeled friends

Sat:
  • 8:30am - stands up from Shadow Mtn RV Park
  • noonish - lunch somewhere on the trail (packed)
  • 4 or 5ish - arrive Cove Lake Campground
  • Perhaps a supply trip to Paris, AR 15 mins away
  • Dinner at camp / stand around fire telling lies - alternative food at "Cove Creek Supply". 3.1 miles to the South. Apparently they have good burgers.

Sun:
  • ~7:30 or 8 - ride up to Mt. Magazine Lodge for breakfast and coffee. Depart by 9:30 or 10am for Mena.
  • Lunch on the trail again
  • ~2:30 or 3pm arrive at trucks at Shadow Mtn. RV park and depart for home

Might be chilly...

IMG_0308-M.jpg

But lots of this...

52FB205B-D6C0-4E01-AA04-638D97D2ABFB-M.jpg

Who's In?
Screen Name - 1st Name - Bike
  1. Pigtrail - Richard - KTM 690

All Links in One Place
Huckleberry Trail System - Buzzard Rock - Mt. Magazine
Huckleberry FS Map
Shadow Mountain RV Park
Cove Lake Campground Reservations
Kirkwood Falls
Interactive Forest Service Map
Map of Arkansas Fire Lookouts
Ouachita National Forest OHV Map Homepage
Arkansas Dual Sport Routes - state site with .gpx files
Updated GPS File of Route
Waterfalls Along 519

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2021_Mena_Magazine02.gpx
    60.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Would love to do it again, but booked for Big Bend that weekend. Y'all have fun and post pics.

Is this going to be on public roads or are you planning on some single track trails too?
Public roads, although we will seek out the rockiest, mountain-ridge-riding-est, funnest ones we can find. My wife said the difference between a road and a trail is "whether or not you need to pick a line." No single track. We'll be loaded with overnight gear, so that wouldn't be advisable.

On my radar, depends on the weather, but I know I can only do one night (wife’s birthday)

If like to go, but there's too many unknowns right now to say if I could go or not. I'll have to see how things go.

Lodging information updated. We have reservations at Shady Mountain RV Park in Mena on Friday 2/26 and Cove Lake Campground near Mt. Magazine on Saturday night, 2/27.

State Park Lodge is 11 miles down the road as well, in case some might want a room:

State Park Lodge is 11 miles down the road as well, in case some might want a room:
This is one of my favorite places to stay in Arkansas. However, they have a 2 night minimum on weekends. I tried reserving camp sites as well, but no luck for a single night...plus it'll be colder on top of Mt. Magazine. We do plan to hit them up for breakfast on Sunday morning. They open at 7. Coffee!!

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite places to stay in Arkansas. However, they have a 2 night minimum on weekends. I tired reserving camp sites as well, but no luck for a single night...plus it'll be colder on top of Mt. Magazine. We do plan to hit them up for breakfast on Sunday morning. They open at 7. Coffee!!
I always pack my stove and some tea bags when camping, even if I intend to get breakfast after I hit the road. There's nothing like a hot cuppa in the morning after rolling out of your hammock!

I always pack my stove and some tea bags when camping, even if I intend to get breakfast after I hit the road. There's nothing like a hot cuppa in the morning after rolling out of your hammock!
Amen! The jet boil serves up tea before bed and coffee in the AM. Another tip to improve marital moto bliss: warm washcloth to wipe the face while she is having her morning coffee.

Amen! The jet boil serves up tea before bed and coffee in the AM. Another tip to improve marital moto bliss: warm washcloth to wipe the face while she is having her morning coffee.
An here I thought the trick to martial bliss was avoiding marriage at all costs!

One of the parts i’m most excited about is this section of Dutch Creek Mountain Road between Waldron and Danville where the road goes “hatched” meaning “not maintained for passenger cars”. The forest service has a nice site to check out the roads and terrain - https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

Attachments

• F809F3A7-37E3-4696-9572-183FF1907ECA.png
    F809F3A7-37E3-4696-9572-183FF1907ECA.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 297
First post updated with .gpx file and updated google map displaying same. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading.

I am new to the forum. This ride drew me in. It's precisely the type of riding I want to start doing. Unfortunately I enjoy the Buell Uly more for street riding than its intended groomed logging roads. Not true off road. Although I would be tempted. ;-) I'll keep my eye on this. I have room for a 4th bike in the garage. Maybe a dual sport.

52998dfc3584c032_CrystalSpringsMotorcyclingRideMap.png

Found the above image on an Arkansas State site highlighting good dual sport routes. It's here.

@MacDaddy improved our May '20 ride with the trails near Crystal Springs. That's good stuff.

On this trip we'll be taking CR 70 between 88 and 270. What I DON'T presently have in the route is "NF 172" and "Turner Creek Road". Will update the .gpx file later tonight with those.

Lots of maps and other DS info on the state dual sport site.

Last edited:
Might be good to start a different thread for that discussion so as to not pull this one off topic.

Back