• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual Sport Ride - Arkansas - March 13,14 - Mena to Mt. Magazine & Back - UPDATED DATE

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
1,547
Location
Arlington
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Reservation made at Shadow Mountain for Friday night and Cove Lake site number 6 for Saturday night.
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
719
Reaction score
242
Location
Longview, TX
First Name
Richard
Looking mighty chilly out there, but I'm optimistic we'll have a thaw just in time for our ride.

Installed a set of Oxford Heaterz grips on Heather's bike yesterday. She had these on a previous DS and loved 'em.

IMG_3218_HEIC-M.jpg
 

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
1,547
Location
Arlington
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Good timing :)

Hopefully it will warm up a bit in the next 2 weeks though.
 
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
1,496
Reaction score
519
Location
Cypress, TX
First Name
Ian
Looking mighty chilly out there, but I'm optimistic we'll have a thaw just in time for our ride.

Installed a set of Oxford Heaterz grips on Heather's bike yesterday. She had these on a previous DS and loved 'em.

View attachment 285856
I won't have another bike without them. Such a nice thing to have, whether it's a little cold or a lot cold.
 
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
74
Reaction score
10
Location
Sugar Land
I’m a late planner but prepared to go weather permitting. I prefer good weather mid 50’s and up. Rain and cold are no fun in my book, especially in a tent!
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
719
Reaction score
242
Location
Longview, TX
First Name
Richard
I prefer good weather mid 50’s and up. Rain and cold are no fun in my book, especially in a tent!
No doubt! We're in the same boat.

Long range forecast is 50's during the day and 30's at night with 25% chance of rain, but with the weather these days...who knows!! Stay tuned and we'll see how it shapes up.
 
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
Cash,Tx
BigCarbonFootprint and Sandsman are having to cancel due to the weather down here this week and needed pretrip servicing not available. We have a tent site at Cove Lake avail since I’m not able to get it cancelled. It’s site 008,A if anyone wants it for Saturday night.
 
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
74
Reaction score
10
Location
Sugar Land
I do not plan to attend this trip due to weather. But I would be very interested if it is moved to a different date(s).
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
719
Reaction score
242
Location
Longview, TX
First Name
Richard
Dark Sky (weather app) says Paris, AR will be 59 for high on Saturday and 31 for the low with a 14% chance of rain. Weather Channel app, "Storm Radar" shows 53/38 and 57/43 with a 40% chance of rain. Hopefully the rain will hit Th or Fri and the weekend will clear up.
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Messages
18
Reaction score
24
Location
Houston, TX
I have been trying to get everything lined up for the trip including getting my luggage tested out on my new bike (701 LR). Its true, that the exhaust is like torch! Have header wrap and an AltRider heat shield and it's still on the verge of melting the bags. Will try and overnight a slip on exhaust tomorrow (fingers crossed).
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Messages
18
Reaction score
24
Location
Houston, TX
Wholly crap! Didn't know/think you could do that? This might get around my logistical issues.

How did you do it? Remove exhaust and punch it out from the can inlet side?
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2020
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Location
Lake kiowa
Yes used a 1.5” hole saw with a extension and made a hook out of 1/4” rod and pulled it out in pieces. It’s about 5” in the inlet made a huge difference in heat
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
719
Reaction score
242
Location
Longview, TX
First Name
Richard
We will make a call tomorrow (Tuesday 2/23) if Heather and I plan to go or not.

The present forecast shows a 60-70% chance of rain starting Saturday evening and going all day Sunday with temps in the 30's to 50's.
 
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
719
Reaction score
242
Location
Longview, TX
First Name
Richard
Saturday and Sunday are looking rainy with temps in the 40's and 50's. I'm not excited to camp in the rain, so I plan to reschedule for March 13th and 14th. It will be the same route, but two weeks later. I apologize if this doesn't fit your schedule, so please reach out if I can help you have a good trip during the originally scheduled weekend.

If you can join me on the 13th/14th, all the better!

1st post updated to reflect new dates
 
Last edited:

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
1,547
Location
Arlington
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Out for the new dates. Doing a different ride that weekend, also to Arkansas, but with my wife and another couple on Goldwings.

Bummer...but I do understand. Weather definitely doesn't look great this weekend.
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Messages
18
Reaction score
24
Location
Houston, TX
OK. So who all do we have going now? Seems like the list of folks in the first post is not complete? I will be there in Mena on Friday late afternoon. Will follow the guidance set by PigTrail. Looks like the day highs are getting warmer, into the 60s, and a 40% change of not getting wet.
 

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
1,547
Location
Arlington
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
OK. So who all do we have going now? Seems like the list of folks in the first post is not complete? I will be there in Mena on Friday late afternoon. Will follow the guidance set by PigTrail. Looks like the day highs are getting warmer, into the 60s, and a 40% change of not getting wet.
Which Friday? 3-12 or 2-26?
 
Top