• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Duct tape or rim strip

Reaction score
Spoked rim on a street bike: rim strip or duct tape

Hope this isn't as controversial as Amsoil vs Mobil1

I have always stayed with quality rim strips unless it was a field fix and my only choice was rim tape.

I've done both and it never really made a difference. If you are changing tires a bunch, then the duct tape seems to stay out of the way better. If you are changing tires less often then the rim strip can be moved out of the way easier for spoke maintenance.

Reactions: Vec
i took a rather aggressive approach & killed 2 birds w/ one tape
20211008-092459.jpg

...kissed that inner tube goodbye.

does duct tape get all gummy in the rim?
I've only done on my dirt bikes, but I always replace the rubber strip with duct tape. Never had a problem with it getting gummy or causing any problems and still can adjust spokes. When you have rim locks as well as the valve stem to deal with, duct tape makes things much simpler.

Last edited:
Tell me more

What materials and vendors please
That looks like 3Ms tape, it is a cushioned tape that is urethane based. Great stuff I have a roll of it in the garage still I think or if Dao can get me the 3M skew number I can get it looked up since we are a 3M Master dist (although I dont do much of their stuff since I am in the equipment side not consumables) except to rob the sample room when I need something.

That looks like 3Ms tape, it is a cushioned tape that is urethane based. Great stuff I have a roll of it in the garage still I think or if Dao can get me the 3M skew number I can get it looked up since we are a 3M Master dist (although I dont do much of their stuff since I am in the equipment side not consumables) except to rob the sample room when I need something.

3M Extreme Sealing Tape 4412N is the 2mm version. Good stuff. I converted my 950 rear wheel with it three years ago and no issues still.

Back