• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DuPont Teflon "Chain Saver" OR "Multi-Use Lubricant"

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
Anyone know where in the Austin area you can get this stuff (they are the same, just a different label)? Last I checked, Cycle Gear doesn't carry it, and Woods and TJ's are a bit out of my way (don't know if they carry it anyway)... I would imagine there's an auto parts or hardware store that might have the "multi use" version, but don't have time today to go driving around in search...

Casey,

I bought a can of DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant at Lowe's (was recommended on the StromTrooper's forum). Might save you a couple of bucks over a m/c specific product.

Ed W.

A question comes to my mind. I dont know any thing about chain lube in the last 25 years and then I used oil or grease. But back then the big seller for motorcycle specific chain lube was that it would not destroy the O-rings in motorcycle chain.
Is that still at concern ? Or have most modern lubricants changed there formulations so they do not brake down the rubber 0-rings ?

A question comes to my mind. I dont know any thing about chain lube in the last 25 years and then I used oil or grease. But back then the big seller for motorcycle specific chain lube was that it would not destroy the O-rings in motorcycle chain.
Is that still at concern ? Or have most modern lubricants changed there formulations so they do not brake down the rubber 0-rings ?

I just went out and looked at the can that I have, and it says many uses including "motorcycles" and in another area "chains". It does not specifically say safe to use on rubber o-rings, but it doesn't say that you shouldn't either.

For the OP, Lowe's or Home Depot. Both should have it. I got it at the Lowe's in Tyler simply because I live closer to it than HD.

The "Chain Saver" version specifically says O-ring safe, and it's supposedly the same formula as the "multi use" available a hardware stores.

I've always run dry at the suggestion of Baja Designs, because lubes are sticky and collect dirt and cause premature wear... I did that for a long time, but am getting tired of the squeaking and rough rolling on the street (didn't spend much time on the street in the past). This stuff goes on wet, then supposedly dries and doesn't collect dirt. Hope it's as good as they say.

I get it at Lowe's. The Home Depot's around me don't seem to carry it.

I get it at Lowe's. The Home Depot's around me don't seem to carry it.

Same here. I can never find it when I'm in Home Depot. The Lowe's at 620/183 always has 10+ cans on hand though. Conveniently located in the power tools section...

trey

Same place the one at LaFronterra (I35 and 45) stores theirs. I had to ask and now I know to look in the tool section first instead of where the other chemicals are.

Same place the one at LaFronterra (I35 and 45) stores theirs. I had to ask and now I know to look in the tool section first instead of where the other chemicals are.

Same here.

The Lowe's on Steck/Shoal Creek had it, thanks guys :thumb:

Hope it's as good as they say.

It is. This stuff is the best thing I've ever used on chains so far. Goes on wet, dries, and for the most part, it doesn't really collect that much dirt. It does collect a little, but far less than a traditional chain lube. And the dirt that it does collect is much easier to clean off.

You mean the endcap near the marine grade grease?
Oh yeah, there it is.
This stuff was by far the cleanest and best lube I've found.

I also really like the smell.

Warning: Not all silicon spray lubes are created equal. Some of 'em will strip paint and discolor your plastics.

Okay; let's don't go there! :rofl:

Like you don't?! Come on! when you're done the whole garage has a greasy sortof coconut smell to it. I'm thinking of using it as cologne. It should attract just the sort of ladies I'm interested in.

Like you don't?! Come on! when you're done the whole garage has a greasy sortof coconut smell to it. I'm thinking of using it as cologne. It should attract just the sort of ladies I'm interested in.

Well, my WIFE is attracted to the smell of household cleanser, not chain lube!:doh:

If I could get a cologn that smells like Mr. Clean or Formula 409, she would love it. :rofl:

Personnally, I kinda like the oil/gasoline smell my garage gets when I park Bikey there after a ride. :rider:

Lee
YMMV

Anyone know where in the Austin area you can get this stuff \.

Lowes in SW Austin (Sunset Valley) Has the Multi-Use Lub. Home Depot (Sunset Valley) does not have ether.
I would like to find someone that carries the Chain Saver AND the Degreaser.

Most WalMarts stock the "Chain Saver" version.
Lowes for the "Multi-Use" version.

I've read that they are identical products with different labeling. Only once did somebody claim differently, they thought the Chain Saver version went on slightly thicker.

Makes chain maintenance super easy, no gummy or hard to clean residue.
  • Dry brush dirt off chain
  • Spray clean with WD-40 or kerosene
  • Wipe dry with rag
  • Spray with Dupont Teflon
_

You mean I should not be using WD-40? :brainsnap
Worked for me for a long time.

Warning: Not all silicon spray lubes are created equal. Some of 'em will strip paint and discolor your plastics.
So, I shouldn't polish the bike with it? How about the tires?

This DuPont stuff is likely the best chain lube I've ever used, and would never have tried it if not for TWT.:thumb::thumb:

Back