• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dyna Beads

cwadej

Reaction score
I put some dynabeads in with my last tire change. Just to see if it would be easier and save me some time balancing.

Initially I didnt like them. Well, after riding from Arlington to Oxnard, Ca (the long way), I can say that without a doubt,
I HATE THEM!

Vibrations and most speeds. Heavy heavy vibes starting about 85mph. So heavy the bars are shaking so much that I back off.

Now I've got to pay someone here to pull the tires, dump the beads, and balance them. Since I'm away from home it's gonna cost me a fortune!

The first time I used dyna beads .I had the same problem . I ended up adding about a half ounce more beads and it smoothed out. Hope it helps. Ride safe.

You have to know how much weight your tire needs for them to be effective. I run them and it helped with my improperly balanced front. I had a static balance done and it was good to 60 but at 65 it was vibrating and 75 was the pits. The 1 once of dyna beads helped smooth it out even after I ran it 15000 miles out of balance. Try an additional 1/2 once. BTW I found if you pull the valve core, insert the tube and fill the tube with beads then use an air gun , they blow in, trying to shake them in is not possible. Well it is but not practical.

Lots of Wing riders swear by them. I just bought a CT that already has the beads in the wheel/tire so I guess I'll be finding out for myself fairly soon.

I've used Dyna beads in my 09 Goldwing and 2 of my Versys. Best thing I've ever done. Others are right about the amount you put in. It makes a difference. On my Goldwing, it was 3 oz in the front and 4 in the back. My Versys uses 2 in the front and 3 in the back. I've had them well in excess of the speed limit and they are perfectly balanced without any vibration at all.

I've always run plain old lead weights and I've never noticed a vibration problem.

I run them in my wing and my wifes 750 shadow and love them. No vibration, they adjust all the time to keep perfect balance and more importantly I don't have to pay someone to balance my wheels!! I suspect you didn't add enough weight to balance out, maybe your wheel has a big imbalance and you need to add a few more beads?

Gary

I tried them - no gripe about how they work. For me, they're too much of a pain to gather up and get into place when changing tires. I threw them out.

I have installed them in 3 tires for buddies of mine, they love them. They are fiddly to get in, but do a good job. I spin the wheel on my balancer, figure the weight needed and make sure they go a touch over. We spun a VTX wheel with fresh dynabeads in it, after it initially being 1.25 oz out, added 2 oz of dynabeads and it was 2 grams out on the fine scale on my Snap-On balancer. Pretty good in my book. If you have balance problems you are probably more than .25 oz out, so add .5 to 1 oz of dynabeads. You have to have an idea how far you are out. I regularly mount tires for my Harley riding friends and Harley wheels alone are 1.75 oz off before the tire. So add some weight before you condemn the product. And it would be both easier and cheaper to add more. Also, make sure that everything is tight, as your problem could be something else entirely, especially if the wheels just got installed.

That is my two cents, YMMV.

IMG_07913.jpg

Vibrations and most speeds. Heavy heavy vibes starting about 85mph. So heavy the bars are shaking so much that I back off.

Now I've got to pay someone here to pull the tires, dump the beads, and balance them. Since I'm away from home it's gonna cost me a fortune!

Small possibility you might have installed a bad tire. If adding a little more beads doesn't work or you don't want to try might be able to vacuum the beads out if you have a great vacuum and custom fitting.

If you have balance problems you are probably more than .25 oz out, so add .5 to 1 oz of dynabeads. You have to have an idea how far you are out.

Any known bad effects if you add too much beads?

_

Small possibility you might have installed a bad tire. If adding a little more beads doesn't work or you don't want to try might be able to vacuum the beads out if you have a great vacuum and custom fitting.

Any known bad effects if you add too much beads?

_

The only known bad effects are it empties your wallet a little more, it gives added gyroscopic force, meaning the bike will be more stable in a straight line, but I doubt you will ever notice the difference. Really the only down side to adding a few more beads is the extra cost and that is very small. If you have internal tyre pressure monitors, the beads are not recommended as they can damage the electronics..

Gary

I used the amount shown on their website for my tire size. I'll try adding 1 ounce more front and rear. Pray for me and my experiment.

By the way, it's a V Strong with stock size Anakee 2's.

I have them in 5 motorbikes, always used the specified amount and never had a problem.. Fingers crossed the extra ounce in each wheel does it for you..:chug:

Gary

BTW.....if you plug a tire with the sticky plugs, the dyna beads will stick to it.

Imagine that you're a Dyna Bead on the inside of a tire. Of course, the wheel is slightly out of balance, and the heaviest portion will describe a slightly larger arc as it rotates around the axle. Inside the tire, that area which is furthest from the axle will be "downhill" from your perspective. What will keep you, and all your friends from accumulating in the spot that's farthest from the center of rotation?

I don't get the backwards physics of it either. I am sure we will be 'corrected' shortly.:giveup:

I don't get the backwards physics of it either. I am sure we will be 'corrected' shortly.:giveup:

This is the best video I've seen for explaining why it works, at least in theory. I still don't know why it's supposed to be better than conventional balancing. It sounds like more hassle and I use sticky tire plugs when I get a flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY6qvzpNXI

Good point on the plug thing. I always seem to find a nail within the first hundred miles on a new tire. It's just my thing I guess.

On the last tire change I added Ride On sealant front and back, and did not static balance the tires at all. (Pirelli Scorpions on a KTM 950)

Then, promptly left on a long trip and never noticed any imbalance on the tires. Wear was even, but I did nearly use up the tires in less than two weeks over 4K miles. Riding was mostly two-lane with spirited peg-dragging attempts and a hundred miles or so of forest roads.

On this installation the sealant was put in the tubes. The instructions indicate it works for both tubed and tubeless applications.

The information and reviews I read show it forms a film on the inner circumference of the tire/tube and the goop remains liquid between the film and the tire (or tube in my case) and can aid in dynamic balancing.

This might be another alternative to the Dyna Beads which has the added benefit of preventing a roadside tire repair.

Any others with miles on the Ride On product?

On the last tire change I added Ride On sealant front and back, and did not static balance the tires at all. (Pirelli Scorpions on a KTM 950)

Then, promptly left on a long trip and never noticed any imbalance on the tires. Wear was even, but I did nearly use up the tires in less than two weeks over 4K miles. Riding was mostly two-lane with spirited peg-dragging attempts and a hundred miles or so of forest roads.

On this installation the sealant was put in the tubes. The instructions indicate it works for both tubed and tubeless applications.

The information and reviews I read show it forms a film on the inner circumference of the tire/tube and the goop remains liquid between the film and the tire (or tube in my case) and can aid in dynamic balancing.

This might be another alternative to the Dyna Beads which has the added benefit of preventing a roadside tire repair.

Any others with miles on the Ride On product?
I looked at the Ride-On site , it seems like a good thing until I got the pricing per tire.:eek2: I am on a budget, maybe one of these days I can give it a try.

Back