• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dynamat(or similar) and motorcycle helmets.

synthlegend

Forum Supporter
I used to use Dynamat sound dampening material in my automobiles and recording studio to attenuate road noise and dampen sound. Has anyone here ever tried adding to inside shell of helmet? Yes, I know helmet weight would increase. I've thought about trying to make the equivalent of a mini sound chamber in the ear area. Experiences?

I wouldn't do that. It would interfere with the effectiveness of the eps layer imo. If I wanted a quieter helmet I'd either get earplugs or break off the coin for a quiet helmet.

I rock a schuberth c3 light with a cardo freecom4 currently and it is quiet enough for me. Also, I like the JBL cones. A lot of people say they are tinny and not worth the cash, I like them though.

Just my opinion.

synthlegend

Forum Supporter
I wear earpeace earplugs already. My road helmet is pretty quiet, my ADV helmet not so much.
I hear what you are saying about the eps layer and have heard some similar surmises, but as there are typically voids or contours in the ear area for speaker pockets and such, I think there is room in that area for additional sound dampening material. Maybe I'll try it out on one of the extras. Good discussion! Let's get back to talking cycling!

MidlifeCrisis

Forum Supporter
Dynamat is only effective in deadening acoustically live materials like sheet metal or thin glass panes. Even then, it would only work on those materials if they are constructed in ways that are conducive to vibrating without a high degree of attenuation. There are no materials inside the helmet like that. Both the polystyrene foam and the shell are fairly dead acoustically.

I worked part time installing car alarms and audio back in the late 80s and early 90s, when Dynamat first got popular. I've seen it applied in some horrifically ineffective ways, by installers that lack understanding of the engineering methodologies behind acoustic deadening.

First Name
Jesse
If it did work in cutting noise another concern would be blocking all the vents.

Currently I just wear earplugs. I've gotten pretty good at putting my helmet and gloves on, getting the Bluetooth synced and music going, then realizing I forgot to put the plugs in so I need to remove the gloves to get the helmet off to get the plugs in my ears.

synthlegend

Forum Supporter
All valid points...I have extra helmets that I can experiment with. Dynamat may not be appropriate, but I'll research other materials. Could be fun project with all that's going on.

budzrex

Forum Supporter
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
Pull the visor off I bet a lot of your wind noise is coming from there, the balance from the shield area as they are generally not
designed around higher speed aerodynamics and unless you are eating a lot of someone's roost and need the visor
as you tip your head forward to use it as protection all its really doing is catching air and making noise