• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

E. TX, DS Ride, 1/26-7/08 Moscow-Geneva 'n back

As some of you know, I was running a SPOT Personal Satellite Messenger on the top of my tailbag. I kept it in tracking mode most of the weekend for my mother and sister to "keep and eye on me" as a test for an upcoming solo trip, but at stopping points I sent out a Check-In message for a few people (like Chuck) that wanted to see how we were progressing.

Here are the images of the check-in locations. I can't think of any that it missed, so it was a pretty good test.

Staging area in Moscow at the Post Office on Saturday morning
248766342-M.jpg

Fuel stop just before lunch near the Sam Rayburn Dam
248766373-M.jpg

Departing from lunch at The Stump just down the road
248766412-M.jpg

Arrival at Harborlight
248766434-M.jpg

Departure the following morning
248766455-M.jpg

Fuel & lunch at the gas station in Etoille
248766488-M.jpg

Wow! That "SPOT" is pretty neat. I'm gonna hafta get one.:flip:

Becca,....Didn't know you were hooked up to a Satellite....Great Idea
What did this service or hardware cost you? Was it in real time or delayed by a few minutes or seconds. Could the screen shot zoom in one more click, meaning would someone at their computer actually see the bike sitting in an open parking lot?.........Gives a new meaning to "Big Brother's Watching Us".......
Last Question.......Were you tempted to "Wave to Mommy n Sis"
Edit>>>>>Found all the info I just asked at the site,...Should have clicked first.....This is an interesting setup for those that really get off the beaten path and go adventure riding in not so friendly climates.........Thanks for the heads up on this.

The SPOT images aren't live. The messenger sends back GPS coordinates which are linked onto a Google map of the area. The level of zoom is determined by Google, but those are as close as it'll get in those areas.

More info and TWT discussion on the gadget HERE.

I hate to say it, but what a doof pic!!:clap: The guys look like they're thinking..." it's gonna be a long day." But alas, you showed 'em up really bad by not going down!!:lol2: :clap:

Come to think of it, the next time I'm going to drop it in the parking lot on purpose - gets it out of the way so I won't drop it in the muck! ;-)

Come to think of it, the next time I'm going to drop it in the parking lot on purpose - gets it out of the way so I won't drop it in the muck! ;-)

Hey it seemed to work.... That might just be the answer!:mrgreen: Some of the stuff you made it through were quite impressive. The clay pit was some good riding, AND... I got it on video too. I just need to compress it and post it up on google vid.

Chadley,

The videos are so cool! Thanks for contributing your riding time for taking the video!

Texas DR, went out of his way to ride out of the sand pit and to a near by town to purchase a set of Jumper Cables to help get another rider moving again.

Duke,

Thanks for saying that! But you can also say I just took to ride additional 10mi... ;-)

Thanks!
Ken

This is the best picture of a KLR I have ever taken. This is one of DrBlackbird's mounts, and the most dirtworthy of them.
This was where the 5 campers set up. It was cold, but the scenery and soft level ground made up for it.
IMG_1030.jpg

This is the best picture of a KLR I have ever taken. This is one of DrBlackbird's mounts, and the most dirtworthy of them.

The skill that DrBlackbird displayed riding his KLR makes me think that he could have taken his Goldwing down the same roads with just a little more effort. Man he could manhandle that thing through the mud. I tried to keep up with him on Day 2 but just couldn't. I am impressed!

Here is a picture of my bike, I won't be embarrassed to post a few of myself, since I didn't make it into very many, due to my solo-ish riding tendencies. hahaha
IMG_1022.jpg

Here is one of Mr. Ken/Texasdr, who is always fun to ride with.
IMG_1063.jpg

Here is one that really shows the wide range of gnarly dualsport machines in front of a really cool Texas-style restaurant known as "The Stump."
I just noticed there are no XRR's or XRL's in this photo. Don't worry. They were, as always, well represented !!
IMG_1019.jpg

I have a feeling that I will use this one as my self portrait for 2008, in my photo-files.
I put the camera on the ground and used the timer. I was killing time while waiting to photograph the approaching riders.
IMG_1050.jpg

This is a bad picture of a good guy. It's Pazzoduc, waving after helping a wiped out dualsporter up out of the sand.
IMG_1001.jpg

Here are some of the fast guys, taking a break at a turn of the century graveyard. Whoo those XR's and KTM's are fast!!
IMG_0988.jpg

...not to mention the zuki's and Yammer's.
You got to love this rig. I followed this trailrider for a good while, and it was fun and fast riding.
IMG_0987.jpg

Am I wrong to have a crush on my Husqvarna ??
I really love this bike, and the East Texas landscape.
IMG_1042.jpg

The skill that DrBlackbird displayed riding his KLR makes me think that he could have taken his Goldwing down the same roads with just a little more effort. Man he could manhandle that thing through the mud. I tried to keep up with him on Day 2 but just couldn't. I am impressed!

I too, was impressed with the good Dr B's KLR riding prowess... he's fast when he wants to be.

-Chadleys1

A very eventful start to the ride for me. I did my best to give a safety briefing and warn everyone on the rutted muddy roads that we would be heading down, and just over 5 miles into the route I went down and ate a lot of humble pie.

Well we make our way to the sand pit without further incident and while we are watching one of the other groups come through, DANNYROTH’s bike decided it didn’t want to go anymore. Pazzoduc & Texas DR, and Alejo were instrumental in getting him going again.

44.jpg

With that done, it was Pazzoduc’s bikes turn to be difficult. That’s right, after giving up close to 2 hours of his time to warn others to stay left in the sand pit and to help get another bike rolling again, his bike wouldn’t start.

248898012-M.jpg

Eventually after Texas DR went on ahead a purchased a set of jumper cables Pazzoduc was back in business. So now with all bikes repaired and running, almost 3 hours since we arrived the sand pit, we are now moving again.

I am in the lead heading down the road with Texas DR & Pazzoduc right on my rear with DANNYROTH riding sweep. We make maybe 3 miles and I no longer see 3 head lights in my mirrors. I pull to the side with Texas DR and we wait a minute or two. When Pazzoduc or DANNYROTH do not show up we turn around. I am now heading back from which we came with Texas DR right behind me. We pass a couple of muddy & sandy sections and still no DANNYROTH or Pazzoduc. I am starting to get a little nervous. Ultimately I round a corner with a bridge right in front of me and I see Pazzoduc’s KTM on the side of the bridge, and Alejo’s chase truck on the bridge…. But I don’t immediately see DANNYROTH or his Bike.

I hop of my bike and sprint up the bridge and I see Pazzoduc securing DANNYROTH’s bike at the extreme edge of the bridge. My heart was clearly in my stomach at this point. I ask where is Danny? Pazzoduc pointed to where Alejo is helping Danny climb out of the brush and fence line. WHAT HAPPENED?

Time stood still as I a put all of this together. It appears that DANNYROTH got his front and rear tires on either side of the runners on this wooden bridge and high sided. When he went down the bike landed on top of his leg on top of the bridge, while the rest of his body, Head/Shoulders/Trunk, were dangling over the side of the bridge. That is a mental picture that will stick with you for some time.

248101788-M.jpg

Anyway, DANNYROTH is now dangling upside down over the side of the bridge and eventually falls into the water head first, approximate 12 to 15 feet below. I can only imagine what was going through his mind during all of this.

Alejo is the first to arrive on the scene, which had to be an OMG moment. Think about it. He is driving the chase truck and rounds a corner leading up to the bridge and all he sees is a bike on its side at the edge of the bridge and no rider to be seen.

248120365-M.jpg

I am sure he will post up with his take on the whole deal.

So, after Pazzoduc explains to me what went down and I go to meet Alejo & DANNYROTH coming out of the brush, trying to get Danny to tell me that he is alright or otherwise. To my surprise he is all smiles and in an “aw..shucks” demeanor tells us he is really sorry for falling off the bridge. You got to be kidding me right. Stand still and let me check you over (going into Paramedic/Nurse mode now)…

To my amazement Danny appears to be no worse for wear. He has a couple of strawberries on his legs from the bike and bridge but other wise he is checking out ok.

248102164-M.jpg

248102454-M.jpg

248102313-M.jpg

Alejo helps him get out of his wet clothes and into dry clothes, while Pazzoduc, Texas Dr and I load up his bike in the back of the truck.

Eventually we get our composure and head back on the roads. I can only imagine what the phone conversation was like between Danny and his wife while enroute to the lunch spot.

I had a very good laugh at Danny’s expense, you see, one of the other riders had a gear shift get bent earlier this day, and DFW_Warrior was the elected rep to ask Danny for permission to snag his off his bike. Well DFW_Warrior, very politely and in a most elegant manor asked if it was alright. DANNYROTH was contemplating his response, and prior to him saying yes or no, his wife answered for him. “You can take that and any other piece off that ***** bike”.

DANNYROTH. You scared the living daylights out of all of us, but I am so grateful we are able to talk about it now together and even laugh together.

Post up and tell us your side of the story.

Last edited:
And Chadley was asking if I did the wheelie on my XRL.....:rofl:

I didn't know that was you !!
I asked a couple of different people if "terra expeditions" was riding with us on the first day, as I wanted to meet you in person. The people I asked said that you didn't show up. I guess I should have asked again on the second day.

I am going to be doing some riding in Louisiana soon. I'll PM you to see if you feel like riding some trails.

-Chadley

Here is a picture of my bike, I won't be embarrassed to post a few of myself, since I didn't make it into very many, due to my solo-ish riding tendencies. hahaha
IMG_1022.jpg

Hey Chadleys it was nice meeting and riding with ya. Let me know what your plans are for the CD ride.

Sure do like you ride.:trust:

Here is a picture of my bike, I won't be embarrassed to post a few of myself, since I didn't make it into very many, due to my solo-ish riding tendencies.

Not sure if that's because you prefer going solo, other riders can't keep up, they think you're a hooligan, or if you have less-than-desireable bathing habits. :lol2:

I tend to have the same problem, but I can't keep up with ya on the dirt so there's no chance of me helping there. If you decide to go for some solid tarmac I'll see what I can do. ;-)

Geez, Danny... While my bike may have stayed upside down :flip: I don't recall ME ever having done so... :lol2: Not to imply I was never upside down... but only until I landed :doh: How's the leg? I would imagine that was pretty hard on the knee :ponder:

Scott, Your posts immediately after get-offs have always been full of praise of proper gear. I will repeat my thoughts about gear, as I expressed in the first post, ATGATT made a difference in my current condition. Offroad boots, shin and knee guards, and MX pants, protected the bottom half pretty well. My knee joints are OK. The left boot protected my left foot that was under the bike and holding me from falling all the way off. Having a water cushion to fall into helped. I'm not sure how parts of my shirt stayed relatively dry, since I was completely submerged for a little bit. That Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket was holding some air bubbles in it.

I'm still trying to analyze the chain of events, and can't quite put together the abrasions and bruises with what I assume happenned. Here is how I think the crash unfolded:

1. Coming into the double curve leading onto the bridge very hot, 50+. Practically standing on the rear brake, some pressure on the front brake, No lock-up while on dirt or asphalt surface coming onto the bridge.

2. Seeing a large rock partially into the line of travel I had set for my access to the bridge. I remember thinking, "Who put that there, it wasn't there last time we came here?" The distraction made me take my eye off my target and miss a critical course adjustment, then, I change my line. All this time braking hard.

3. Come up onto the wooden bridge, front tire on the runners, rear tire in between the runners, braking action locks up both tires on slick wooden surface. Front end turned right to get both tires into the trough between the runners. Rear tire comes up onto left runner as front tire drops down into trough and I drop over into a low side. Have slowed down quite a bit, but I see things at about 1000 MPH. Bike is laying on my right leg and I can feel the abrasion on my right calf. My leg is moving up to where the ankle is about even with the seat.

4. Rear tire drops into the little trough between the runner and the 6X6 timber secured on the outer edge of the bridge. The D606 gets traction on both sides and bites in. The bike flops over onto a high side in a very violent and sudden move that ejects most of me over the side of the bridge. My left foot is somewhere under the bike, my inner left thigh is over the top of the outer timber, and the rest of me is hanging down over the edge. I feel a burning on my ankle and think, "If I pull out, the bike will come down on top of me." I could not see, or did not want to see what was above me, but knew that I could not stay there. I wriggled my foot loose and fell downward.

5. The water comes up fast. I tuck my head in and curl up as I go down. I didn't even feel the surface of the water through the helmet and the heavy JR jacket. My helmet hits the bottom and I roll on through a summersault and wind up sitting upright on the bottom. I am completely under water and my visor and helmet are full. Having quite a bit of diving experience I knew better than to try and breathe!

6. The only time in all this incident that a very real fear sweeps over me. "What if I'm hurt so bad that I can't get up to where I can breathe?" I don't wait for an assessment of damage. My arms go pointing foreward with palms outward, fingers cupped, and grab a couple of handfulls of water and pull back, then repeate several times until I swim up into a very high kneeling position and my head pops out of the water. I don't think I will ever forget the sight of the water level going down my visor and, as soon as it falls to around my chin, I take a breathe. It's a bit deep and the pain in my left ribcage is quite sharp. Don't do that anymore. I thank God, quite possibly out loud. I hear the KAW thumping away above me and look up. I have moved downstream about 10 to 15 feet. My glasses are pushed down around my chin and my visor is muddy, but I can see that the back wheel is turning. I had forgotten to put it in neutral when I parked it!

7. I've got to get out of the water and go shut the bike off. I pull up the front of my helmet and put my glasses in place. Kind of hard to see through the debris, but I can see that the bank is quite brushy. I see what appears to be a path down into the water and head over towards it. This is a little slide that a variety of animals in East Texas use to get into and out of the water, including Nutria, Otter, and, Alligator. I didn't think about it as I tried walking up the bank and immediately had to go down to "four wheel drive" to get traction. As I am coming up out of the water I notice that my gauntlet gloves, my boots, my helmet, and my jacket are full of water, and a real heavy. I stand up on the bank and take off the gloves and the helmet, boy that felt better. About that time the KLR dies, I guess the float doesn't work that good when it's laying on its side. I start looking for a way to get up to the road surface level another 10 or so feet up. The brush is thick on this side, so I go up a little path under the bridge to the other side to check it out.

8. Alejo drives up onto the bridge about that time. I hear him shouting, but can't recall what he is saying. I am focused on the mission of getting topside.

The embankment is thick with brambles and "Wait-a-minute" vines, small green and purple fibrous vines with small, green, razor-sharp thorns. They will make you say that when you are following someone and they happen to snag you. I decide to put my helmet and gloves back on and just plow through them to the top. I am about to close the front of my helmet down and I hear Alejo calling me. I look up, he is taking a picture and appologizing, "I have to do this." I give him a left handed thumbs up because the right thumb is hurting and not so OK.

We have heard the rest of the story from several folks,

Damage assessment: Bruises and abrasions right outer calf and outer R knee; Deep bruising front of L thigh, inner L thigh, and abrassion marks on inside of L knee; Hyperextended R thumb; Bruising from center line of abdomen to under left arm; Two ribs very sore on old fracture site under left arm.

Bike damage: After cursory look-over, only see some damage to left fairing (it was already secured with nylon rope from previous incidents, and bent shift lever.

Ego damage: Haven't found the ego yet to check it out.

When most pain experienced: During the ride from The Stump to Lufkin.

When most pain experienced: During the ride from The Stump to Lufkin.

Some how I feel that this is still an understatement. :zen:

I can only imagine what I would be going through if I had to call my significant other to come get me, and oh by the way, I dove off a bridge today....:giveup:

Really glad your ok Danny.I think it was your rt that started this whole ride.
A real bummer that you missed most of it.A real trooper to make some of the stops ,after the "swim".

??? What is the cd ride,trailace.

You got to love this rig. I followed this trailrider for a good while, and it was fun and fast riding.
IMG_0987.jpg

It was great riding with you too Chadleys1 and I really enjoyed your pics and vids.

THANK YOU !!! to all, Especially the riders who took the time to put it together. I know it was a group effort but dixonduke, DANNYROTH, Greasemonkey and Thumper Went above and beyond! A special thanks to you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: The routes I downloaded were perfect! Had to do a few U-turns, but just anticipated a couple of turns early.
Every body around me have been sick and I started feeling like I lost all my energy Friday at work. :yawn: Woke up Sat. morning dragging and it took longer to hit the road than anticipated - That was me in the pickup rolling in during the riders meeting. Unloaded, geared up and hit the road to find out I was in Greasemonkeys group. :rider: Had a great ride and was feeling pretty good - might have been adrenalin. Was feeling good enough to eat Jambalaya :eat: and have a few beers - Well, although I completely enjoyed myself, I think that was a mistake.
Next morning, I took off solo, and put down some tracks. Images of blowing inside my helmet weren't very pretty. :puke: As I picked up speed the adrenalin took over and I started to feel better. Did the whole route back plus some looking for gas and had a great time. Missed the comradery but getting to my truck at 1:30 saved me. Went to work Mon. - went home sick, Went to work Tues. - went home sick. Today they said why don't you just try afternoons!
Had such a great time, even not feeling well, that I would do it again in a minute. Thanks again

As some of you know, I was running a SPOT Personal Satellite Messenger on the top of my tailbag. I kept it in tracking mode most of the weekend for my mother and sister to "keep and eye on me" as a test for an upcoming solo trip, but at stopping points I sent out a Check-In message for a few people (like Chuck) that wanted to see how we were progressing.

Here are the images of the check-in locations. I can't think of any that it missed, so it was a pretty good test.

That is really cool Squeek and definitely has my "geek" up;-)

The downside is that most of the time riding I want to be lost and out of touch and cell phone coverage is getting to good as it is. I'm amazed how well (simply) it works. It's $160 for the unit and either $100 or $150/year for the service depending on what you choose to have tracked.

Back