• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

E. TX, DS Ride, 1/26-7/08 Moscow-Geneva 'n back

Every body around me have been sick and I started feeling like I lost all my energy Friday at work. :yawn: Woke up Sat. morning dragging and it took longer to hit the road than anticipated - That was me in the pickup rolling in during the riders meeting. Unloaded, geared up and hit the road to find out I was in Greasemonkeys group. :rider: Had a great ride and was feeling pretty good - might have been adrenalin. Was feeling good enough to eat Jambalaya :eat: and have a few beers - Well, although I completely enjoyed myself, I think that was a mistake.
Next morning, I took off solo, and put down some tracks. Images of blowing inside my helmet weren't very pretty. :puke: As I picked up speed the adrenalin took over and I started to feel better. Did the whole route back plus some looking for gas and had a great time. Missed the comradery but getting to my truck at 1:30 saved me. Went to work Mon. - went home sick, Went to work Tues. - went home sick. Today they said why don't you just try afternoons!
Had such a great time, even not feeling well, that I would do it again in a minute. Thanks again

This is almost my story exactly.

Sunday about lunch time I was feeling pretty exhausted, but chalked it up to keeping the pace I was riding and fighting the front end of a bike that lost one if its fork seals.

Well Monday comes around and I head to work, and about 1pm I know I am deffinately getting sick... my fever finally came in. So I went home and dosed up on OTC meds and slept. Tuesday, I am just misserable, down right, drug through a bar fight misserable. Every joint aches and my fever will not go away. So I head to a Doctors office near by, and am awarded with a diagnosis of the Flu and early Pnuemonia.:giveup:

Danny glad you are simi-OK. That being said I had to LOL :rofl: as I read your description of the get off. :lol2: I had to stop ½ way thru to make :popcorn: I felt like I was there watching in slow motion, very good write up. :mrgreen:

Hey Danny, Mark Johnson and I really enjoyed the outing and are glad you avoided serious injury in your mishap. Was sorry to hear you crashed and ruined your ride. We tried our best to keep up with the old man crowd led by Trailace. Did a little end swapping and ground kissing myself but to no harm or damage. Had hoped to visit more with you. Let me say the work you and the others put in on this event really made it a good one and the moisture made it a real challenge. Quite a different situation from our New Years' Big Bend adventure of dry, dusty, rocky, and sandy challenges. No dust this time but we brought back plenty of red clay samples. Looking forward to future rides with the crowd of swell folks. Thanx for all your effort.

That is really cool Squeek and definitely has my "geek" up;-)

The downside is that most of the time riding I want to be lost and out of touch and cell phone coverage is getting to good as it is. I'm amazed how well (simply) it works. It's $160 for the unit and either $100 or $150/year for the service depending on what you choose to have tracked.

I offered to fix your phone for you out on the trail!:mrgreen:

The nice thing about SPOT is that you can you send all the "I'm Ok" messages you want while never having your phone turned on. Friends and family will know you are ok, but they won't be able to bother you unless you allow them to.

I have not been feeling well the past couple days, either. Weak, feverish, runny nose. I guess we all caught CeeBee's bug. I was already feeling puny from a lack of sleep due to work-related stress, spent three hours Wednesday night wrestling with the front tire, finally giving up and making a trip to Bill's garage to use his machine on Thursday. That put me home late Thursday night finishing up T-dub's prep. I was up early Friday to take care of some business, then a very cold 30-mile ride in the rain to Bill's to load up. Nobody can say much of Saturday's ride was easy; I started with a ride through a cold, misty rain from Livingstone to Moscow, and the route required constant attention and rider input to deal with the roads that were 80% alternating blotches of loose sand and mud. Sunday was easier, but colder. I guess when CeeBee's bug got into me it found an easy victim, because Monday I was achy, sinuses plugged and nose running at the same time. I started 24-hour Claritan-D (the good stuff you have to sign for) Monday night, finally had 6 good hours of sleep Tuesday night after a double shot of Nyquil (again, the stuff you have to sign for), made it through today with the crapola Dayquil, and just took another double shot of high-octane Nyquil. So, if I fall asleep at the computer, you'll kno

voila.... for those who want to know... after doing a search.... I found the info to do it.... you must use {flash}{/flash} but replace the {} {} with [] [] and thennnn you just copy the http: part which for my vid was http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6073093362518444287&hl

so {flash}http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6073093362518444287&hl{/flash} with the replaced brackets

Hmmm, I don't recall going over that bridge. Either we went a different route, were going so fast it was a blur, or more likely my Half-heimer kicked in and I dont remember it. Glad ole Danny is tough and lucky!

--------------------
Luv my KLR650

Thanks to all of the posters for sharing your pictures and videos. You guys sure take some good photos. chadleys1, you went the extra mile to get this ride recorded (literally too, as you disappeared over the horizon often only to pop up in the next interesting corner!:trust: ). I especially like the ground shot close up of your Husky and the shot of CeeBee standing next to the WR with the southern pines in the background. These are quality worthy of bike magazine covers.:clap:

I have been informed that shortly after I hit the water, a group of student seismologists at Texas A&M got a reading on their seismic recorders. After gathering their readings and triangulating data from various geophones, they said it appeared that a cow had fallen from a height of 5 meters into a body of water in north Tyler county.

They were quite accurate. It was actually a KAW rider, but the weight, location, and the distance of travel was pretty near dead on.

:cool2: :chug: :bow:

ker splash

if you would have wrestled an alligator I would be impressed

If he would have wrestled an alligator, I'd have bought him lunch. :lol2:

The 'gator was hibernating. Only something real stupid would be in that water.

:cool2: :chug: :bow:

ker splash

if you would have wrestled an alligator I would be impressed

I would just as soon wrestle an alligator as to deal with the running verbal skirmishes that have taken place around me since last Saturday.:doh: :giveup:

Danny AKA Capt. Nemo

I have to ask...how is your better half doing since her foot was removed from your.....you know. ;-)

While scouting the route and thinking about who would be riding, Duke and I were concerned that some may get bored and would feel like there wasn't enough challenge. Either those predictions did not come true or we have some very polite participants. I will say, though, the roads were not as wet during the scouting rides!

Did y'all ride the Nine-Mile Road?

Nope, I was SKEEEEEEERED of 9-mile road!
There were definitely challenging spots for me, but getting through the weekend has boosted my DS confidence tenfold!

I have to ask...how is your better half doing since her foot was removed from your.....you know. ;-)

I have been keeping my..uh . . .you know . . pretty well covered due to the elevated risk condition (RED) When she finds out that all this moaning, shallow breathing, wincing whenever I get in or out of a vehicle, etc. is part of the pro-active defense mechanism against physical assault, I'm in deep trouble.

Capt. Nemo

Did y'all ride the Nine-Mile Road?

No one to my knowledge.

I spoke to Chad (My Gamewarden Friend), about it and he told me about it being flooded.

Still doable 9 mile to the scenic bluff (where you and I waited for Chad). But the "East Hammilton section of 9 mile was allegedly under water. I made the decision that I was not going to go and tried to make everyone understand about the woops and sink holes and how deep some of them are. And if the water is as bad as Chad said it was, you would have no idea on where the holes were. Seemed like a sure fire way for serious injury.

Good decision to exclude that section in those conditions.

Wife and youngest child have gone to Kansas City, MO to check on a graduate school program. I am home alone, with four dogs, the Kaw and the Pig. Anybody wanna ride?

Well, there's a matter of this little promise I made to stay off my bikes. If we ride, you have to loan me a bike and you can use one of mine.

Capt. Nemo ("I arose from the depths to ride again")

Well, there's a matter of this little promise I made to stay off my bikes. If we ride, you have to loan me a bike and you can use one of mine.

Ooh, that's SOOOOOOO tempting! :trust:

(too bad this weekend is booked!) :doh:

Back