• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ear plugs recommendations?

Those seem nice, but only have a NRR of 19, the foamy orange ones I use have a NRR of 33. Are you sure they are comfortable enough to sacrifice the protection? Probably not bad for riding, but in the shop I would prefer the higher NRR. YMMV
In the shop... yeah, I'd go with something different.

These aren't "sound eliminating" plugs. These are used by musicians & motorcycle riders. The goal of these is to block out the unwanted noise... but still allow the noise that matters... in.

I can still have a conversation with these in, I don't have to destroy my comms by turning the volume up to max, and I can hear the sounds of things around me, like other traffic. They do block out the wind noise, and the drone of an engine or the road over the many hours of riding. So, it's less fatiguing. I can hear what's going on around me, and I don't have that hum or ringing for hours after I take them out.

That said... these have individual filters that you can customize to your sound dampening needs: 11, 14, & 19... so if you want more sound dampening protection, then you can use the appropriate filter. The 14's work fine for me, although, honestly... I haven't tried the 19's.

https://www.earpeace.com/products/motorcycle-ear-plugs said:
  • Situational Awareness - Our proprietary attenuation filter technology delivers clear, crisp sound by allowing a precise amount of unobstructed sound into the ear. Hear your communications systems, music and approaching traffic / sirens.
  • Protection - EarPeace motorcycle earplugs includes Medium, High and Max protection filter sets so you're ready for any trip. Whether it's a short loop on a Sunday afternoon or 1000 miles in 3 days.

Last edited:
I'm sold on Bose Noise Cancelling Ear Buds. Costly but worth every penny to me. Stops most of the wind noise and I can talk on the phone or listen to my podcast and or XM radio. They might be to quite for some.

Aww, a little bit of spit does a great job cleaning.

Go for it... I throw them away when dirty and get a fresh pair. The day I have to spit on 27 cent earplugs to use them again will be a sad day for me, lol.

Might be a little late but I just ordered custom earplugs from Big Ear Inc. Been using them for events and concerts. I really wasn't sold at first but I watched this video
and agreed to most of what the presenter said. I have weird angled and very narrow ear canals so I just know that I need something that's custom fitted for me.

Back