• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Early morning rides in East Texas

The motorcycle show in Dallas was good. It's mostly like going to every showroom in Dallas but it's all under one roof. The stunt show wasn't bad either. The only other benefit is that they give really good demonstrations.

jute8a6e.jpg
See look. She is demonstrating on how to lift a motorcycle the proper way.

All and all yesterday felt pretty productive. I replaced the head light on the the klr, then change its oil, went to the show via I-20 and came back down 80. I got back around 4 ish and decided to check out our tree farm(don't think I've mentioned it before but we have a 200 something acre tree farm in big sandy. We are certainly getting a portion of it harvested and replanted.).
5abaqu5u.jpg
Found a small tree.
It was a bother getting the bike rolling again. The klr gets very heavy very quickly.
zu2y9a7y.jpg
It did work well for holding the bike up.

I really wanted to go for a ride this morning but my newly acquired 72 chevy c10 needs lots of lovin.
equ9ysy9.jpg
9eru9a9y.jpg
9y4a9y3a.jpg
7e6aryhy.jpg
4a7y3uru.jpg

Still found a reason to ride the bike.
4evu3uhe.jpg
My battery was just about shot so I went to get another.

After a little tinkering I got the truck running so I picked up my freshly rebuilt transmission I had sitting at my parents place.
tyjematu.jpg

If there had been a easy way to strap it to the klr I would have.

Who makes that seat for the KLR? It's like a mobile hemorrhoid doughnut.

Who makes that seat for the KLR? It's like a mobile hemorrhoid doughnut.

Saddleman makes it. They call it their adventure touring seat. You can get them at revzilla. They make them for plenty of other bike as well.

I'd say it's definitely worth the $300 I spent on it. It really makes those 700-800 mile days possible. I've noticed on some of the other aftermarket seats seem wider and not as comfortable when used off road. This one on the other hand seems to do both rather well. Really the only downside(besides the cost) is that it weighs more but that's because it's a gel seat and has metal brackets on the bottom.

I had a really good ride today. I got off work around 10am so I went to the tree farm to decide where the new trails are going to be put in.

I climbed our big hill today. It's pretty challenging on the KLR.

aju4y9uq.jpg
That's probably 400 yards out.

3ysuseta.jpg

asebebuh.jpg
I made it to the top.

ve3yze7a.jpg

5yru2usu.jpg

epetygu9.jpg

qemu8uny.jpg

If there was a direct route it'd be a lot easier. Sorry no pictures of me getting up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the big sandy this morning to check on the progress of the tree cutting. It's looking good so far but they are taking longer than I'd like.

I want to set up my 1000-1500 yard range but can't do much while they are there.

bedasu9e.jpg
I want to setup a small platform on the top of the hill.
e2emy2ut.jpg
I'll setup my target at the bottom of this one.

I had a nice ride this morning. It was a little cool but not too bad only 30 when I left the house.
apypa3uh.jpg
It was pretty greasy out there.
erysubez.jpg
ty6ereqy.jpg

I lost a subframe bolt so I had to end the ride earlier than I would have liked. I think it's time to do a upgrade on all the fame bolts anyway.

I got the bolts upgraded and the filter cleaned Saturday.
ybu8ahad.jpg

Petty soon I'll be making videos of most if not all of my rides. I try to take pictures but most of the time there isn't a good place to stop, dismount, take gloves off, extra.
erupy2ej.jpg
I went with the gopro hero 3+ black edition.

Life has been keeping me from doing as much riding as I'd like. Between work and my 72 chevy needing lots of lovin I've only gotten in 400 or 500 miles this month.

My bike currently is in need of a few things before I do too much more riding. Here is my list so far :

Back tire is in need of replacing.

Front brake line is in need of replacing (somehow it has gotten a cut in it. It's not leaking but I don't trust it).

Front tire needs to be flipped or replaced so I have a good spare.

The stock cover that protects the rear brake reservoir has rattled off and is probably on the side of the road or buried in the dirt somewhere. I guess I'll need to make a new one. I have some more of that aluminum that I made my skid plate out of so I'll probably use that.

My clutch lever is still bent from when I crashed at the East Texas 500 so I guess I'll go ahead and replace since I'm doing everything else.

I had the rear tire off to fix a flat a few weeks back and found that one of the bearings is feeling a little gritty. I guess I'll see if I can repack it. I should probably do the same on the front.

I'm thinking about installing a rim lock since I'm messing with the tires.

I think that's pretty much it on bike maintenance stuff. It'll probably take me a hole day just to get everything rounded up. Probably won't take much more than an afternoon to get it all finished.

Before I start on all that I need to finish fixing me 72 chevy(there is lots that I've already accomplished). I took the transmission out last Thursday(The day I normally go riding on) so I could put a newly rebuild turbo 400 in. But you know how thing go.... I had a few things come up so I didn't get finished( there's that life thing I was talking about. Always seems to get in the way). Seeing how I'm not on a time crunch I've been thinking and have decided to pull the engine as well so I can do some much needed frame straightening(bent from one of the previous owners). It also happens to be a lot easier to line up that transmission when it's not in the truck. Hopefully I can get the chevy mostly squared away tomorrow. Only time will tell.

I'm not sure how many people follow this thread or even care about a chevy project but if anyone wants me to post pictures/details let me know.

The gopro that I got is pretty awesome! It takes really good videos and pictures but I haven't had much time to do any editing. I may just put a few raw video on YouTube for now. I'll have to get my computer back up and running first though. It's currently in pieces all over my folding table. That of course is another project that needs finishing. If only we had 30hr in each day....

Replace that bearing with a double side sealed one available at any industrial bearing shop. And barkbusters will protect the levers and also strengthen the puny bars. That tree farm looks to be a great place for some trails, will be GLAD to help. Just holler.

Replace that bearing with a double side sealed one available at any industrial bearing shop. And barkbusters will protect the levers and also strengthen the puny bars. That tree farm looks to be a great place for some trails, will be GLAD to help. Just holler.

I do have barkbusters on the bike now, just not when it happened. I put them on the day I left for RTB I just never got around to replacing the lever.

I may have to take your advice on the bearings. I may put it off for now though. The bearing are on my list of thing to replace right before my Alaska trip this coming June(along with a few other things). I figure if I plan my maintenance correctly i can get the most use of what I have now before it's has to be replaced.

Thanks for the offer to help on the trails. May have to do that one of these days.

Axxion on Erwin makes stainless brake lines for motorcycles cheaper than OEM

I was definitely thinking of going back with stainless lines. I may just make them. I sure someone in my family has a medal tubing bender(along with the other tools needed) I can borrow.

I was definitely thinking of going back with stainless lines. I may just make them. I sure someone in my family has a medal tubing bender(along with the other tools needed) I can borrow.

:clap: Been following your progress. Your can do/will do enthusiasm is a great asset for an adv rider. :thumb:

Finally had a day off(kinda) yesterday.
I got in a few hours in of off road riding out at the farm.
yseqadas.jpg
e9a3uju6.jpg

It turned out a little more muddy than I had intended. Still lots of fun though

I finally got my new clutch lever in.
uze3ydes.jpg

I've heard that gravity will intensify when you put on a new clutch lever. Hopefully it won't be the case this time!

Somehow I managed to brake the safety switch(the plunger on the switch is what broke) that keeps the bike from starting when in gear with the clutch out. It's not really necessary that I have it but figured it's probably a $5 part and I need a oil filter anyway. So off to the dealership. I was definitely surprised when the guy behind the counter said it was a 50 something dollar part. I told him I didn't need it that bad. So yeah, looks like I need to find a cheaper alternative or fix that stupid expensive switch that I have.

I really didn't like it anyway and had been thinking of modifying it. The clutch on my bike engages/disengages within the first inch or two(perfect for me) but to start the bike you have to pull the lever all the way to the bar. Not so handy when you stall the bike and have two fingers under one end of the lever.

At least now I have a spare lever that I can strap to the frame somewhere. I know I should have already bought one but I get kinda lazy with stuff like that at times.

I put a tool tube on the bike today. I didn't see the point in buying one when I had the stuff to make one.
6asy2u3a.jpg
rynyte8e.jpg
The before pictures.

unu4eder.jpg
And after

u6evedeh.jpg
3u6ynaqy.jpg
suby9ure.jpg
sunysyne.jpg
edu9a6e3.jpg
I tried to make it concealed so I won't need a lock. May put one on anyway.

Looks like it'll work just fine. My tire has a nasty regard for tool tubes and takes a bite of it ever now and again (probably when the bike goes horizontal). A really thin sheet of plastic - like part of a cheap rain pancho makes a good wrap for your tools and quiets the rattle...also comes in handy when fixing flats out on the trail.

Back