• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Early morning rides in East Texas

UPDATE

I've been busy lately with work side jobs and just haven't had lots of time to update this so here it goes.

MAINTENANCE
Cleaned air filter
Oil change after uncle's.
New chain and sprockets.
Cleaned out oil mesh catch thing.
Flipped front and rear tire.
Checked bearings, brake pads and disks.
Checked spokes and had to adjust a few.

KTM WORK
New tires. View attachment 30251
Light now work and about to go get it inspected.

RIDES

This last Saturday I went to hidden Valley adventure Park near marble falls. It was lots of fun and very challenging on the KLR. My brother was with me on his atv so we stayed on the atv trails. Nothing I couldn't handle though. I did get quite a few looks from everyone that was riding dirt bikes.

I've also been exploring around Tyler and Bullard lately. View attachment 30252 I can't help but love this bike. View attachment 30253

I have a few more rides that I'm going on and will probably post up afterwards.

Attachment does not work.
Are these the same tires as you had told me you were running

Didn't you have the Kenda K270's on there before this change?

On the KLR I did and still do. I have two bikes a 2001 KTM 250 exc and a 2012 klr 650.

I'm currently making the KTM street legal and I'm possibly going to sell it afterwards but haven't decided yet.
I went with the trackmasters on it because of price and off road performance.

The KTM originally had michelin tires(can't remember the model) on it when I bought it. Unfortunately they where stamped "not for road use" so I had to change them to pass inspection.

If I can get it all back together I'll take it in next week to get inspected.

On the KLR I did and still do. I have two bikes a 2001 KTM 250 exc and a 2012 klr 650.

I'm currently making the KTM street legal and I'm possibly going to sell it afterwards but haven't decided yet.
I went with the trackmasters on it because of price and off road performance.

The KTM originally had michelin tires(can't remember the model) on it when I bought it. Unfortunately they where stamped "not for road use" so I had to change them to pass inspection.

If I can get it all back together I'll take it in next week to get inspected.

Just making sure as was going to place order tomorrow.

Just got a new set of kenda K270's in for the KLR. Not needed this instance but it's not going to be much longer. uploadfromtaptalk1398303349213.jpg

Just got a new set of kenda K270's in for the KLR. Not needed this instance but it's not going to be much longer. View attachment 30361

Any better place to order them from than Bikebandit ?
Since KLR and DR use the same size tires, what size did you get?

I am looking for same size as I have now; 3.00/3.25 x 21 and 5.00/5.30 x 17

They have a 3.25 x 21 and only a 5.10 x 17 size.

Any better place to order them from than Bikebandit ?
Since KLR and DR use the same size tires, what size did you get?

I am looking for same size as I have now; 3.00/3.25 x 21 and 5.00/5.30 x 17

They have a 3.25 x 21 and only a 5.10 x 17 size.

I've been getting mine off eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kenda-3...or-Kawasaki-KLR650-Honda-XL600R-/191049321802

It's $129 on eBay with free shipping. I haven't really found a much better price elsewhere unless they are on sell or something.

How many miles did you get out of your rear just got me a set of these haven't installed yet waiting till the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I got around 3500 - 4000.

Are you going to make ghosts beat the heat camp out? It's this coming weekend

Since I had a two day ride ahead I decided to change out my tires a little early. Glad I did because I found a broken spoke.

So yeah... Easy enough just call a few places and get a new one. Sounds easy but apparently no one in100 miles of Tyler has or will sell a single spoke(or set). I guess it's not something that breaks on a street bike fairly often if at all. Had to cancel my trip but it's all going to turn out.

Anyway have a oem spoke ordered and hope to get the bike out of the garage soon.

I'm thinking about replacing all the spokes in the back. Any ideas to a good brand I should go with?

I too need to replace my spokes.
Harbor Freight on loop has a wheel trueing stand for what I remember as less then 40.00.

I'm just going to put the wheel back on the bike. Spins easy enough on there and I don't really want another thing to take up space.

Jackstands and the axle, with an allen wrench ziptied to the jackstand, works pretty darn well as a truing stand.

Jackstands and the axle, with an allen wrench ziptied to the jackstand, works pretty darn well as a truing stand.

Yes, that is what Bear told me.

don't get me wrong, but if I have a choice of what I called cramped vrs a free unobstructed work envelope, I will take the latter.

On procycle.com all their ready built wheels and kits seem to come with Buchanan's stainless steel heavy gauge spokes .
Seems that would put some weight to using those.

uploadfromtaptalk1399598097179.jpgSo, the bike has been slowly increasing on the amount of oil it burns. At milage 14,539 it's consuming 2 quarts of oil per 1000 miles. At 10,000 I was burning a little more than 1 quart witch is what kawasaki says it should be burning.

So the question is. Should I spend the money now and get the 719 kit from Eagle Mike or put that off till winter and get kawasaki to do a top end before my warranty runs out?

Decisions decisions...

I would head pronto to your dealer while you still have one month of warranty remaining. That is a ridiculous amount of oil usage. Personally I wouldn't have swallowed their bull that one quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable and would've already forced a repair or let them buy back the lemon. My V-Strom 650 uses about 8 ounces of oil per 1,000 miles and I'm not happy with that. Of course that bike has 76,000 miles on it so I'm not too upset.

_

View attachment 30554So, the bike has been slowly increasing on the amount of oil it burns. At milage 14,539 it's consuming 2 quarts of oil per 1000 miles. At 10,000 I was burning a little more than 1 quart witch is what kawasaki says it should be burning.

So the question is. Should I spend the money now and get the 719 kit from Eagle Mike or put that off till winter and get kawasaki to do a top end before my warranty runs out?

Decisions decisions...

By the looks of that fender...time to do sumthin! Warranty = no $$$
Kit... $$$ And, it IS a KLR. Easy decision.

The only reason I was thinking about doing it myself is because I really want the 719 in there.

I've taken everyone's advice and I just dropped it off. Hopefully it won't take too long . I also didn't feel like shelling the money out for the 719 kit right now. I may do that next year or whenever the bike needs a new top end.

I do feel somewhat responsible for it burning that much oil. I ride it really hard and do a lot of riding on the interstate. It's probably really rough on it holding 6000 rpm for 2 hours at a time.

It's a perfect day to ride but the KLR is in the shop and the KTM is having clutch problems. Sounds like I need to go buy a road bike....

I always did like the Honda shadow. Maybe even a kawasaki Vulcan, those are nice as well. I'll even need to buy a new helmet, the old gmax DS wouldn't look right on either of those bikes.

Could get expensive fast though.

Back