• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas 450 – Nov 6 and 7, 2021

Reaction score
  • Who: Drop-in riders.
  • What: East Texas 450
  • Where: Day 1: Livingston Walmart to Center Day 2: Center Walmart to Livingston
  • When: November 6 and 7, 2021. Arrive by 0700, first kickstands up by 0715.
  • Why: Fun adventure route, good times, and fun people.
  • How: This is an informal ride with no support other than what you bring with you and what others can offer. So, please be prepared to be self-sufficient or surround yourself with people that can help you. If anyone wants to bring a vehicle and support, I think the group will gladly contribute to buy your meals. No registration or cost.

*** This is not an organized ride. It is a drop in ride with a little bit of coordination.
*** The route is on public roads. While this route has been ridden many times before, things change. Expect the unexpected and ride accordingly.
*** Ride at your own pace!! We would rather wait for you at a corner than spend time dealing with a medical situation.

This is a two day drop in ride, but if you would like to be on a contact list shared with other riders, please use the following link. Put as much info as you feel comfortable sharing with others. I would also encourage folks to have some sort of emergency contact information on them for the ride. Participants that provide an email address will likely get this contact contact list emailed to them a day before the ride. It should not be posted where the public can see it.

Proposed Schedule:
Friday (Nov 5):
  • No organized events, but feel free to self organize and have fun in Livingston.
Saturday (Nov 6):
  • 0700: Arrive by 7 AM (Livingston Walmart, look for the people with motorcycles away from the store).
  • 0700 to 0715: Safety meeting and route discussion. Also, organize into groups of riders.
  • 0715: Kickstands up. It would be good if groups stagger their group starts a bit, but this depends on how many folks participate.
  • Ride and have fun
  • 0700 ish: Dinner in Center. I have made a tentative reservation at the Rancho Grande restaurant. They have a room for us that may hold about 30 people. If anyone has a better idea, let’s hear it.
Sunday (Nov 7):
  • 0700: Arrive by 7 AM (Center Walmart, look for the people with motorcycles away from the store).
  • 0700 to 0715: Safety meeting and route discussion. Also, organize into groups of riders.
  • 0715: Kickstands up. It would be good if groups stagger their group starts a bit, but this depends on how many folks participate.
  • Ride and have fun.

Day One is 235 miles. Day Two is 237 miles. We will be riding the track counterclockwise.

The hope is that every rider has a well-prepared bike, the skills, tools and spares to change a flat, and some form of navigation and communication equipment. Mileage between gas stops can be close to 100 miles. If any of the above are an issue, please be forth coming and we can address them before we start the ride. We all will be willing to help if it comes down to it, but there is no sweep vehicle (unless someone volunteers).

Please wait at each corner for ONLY the rider behind you to arrive IF THE RIDERS ARE STRUNG OUT. This keeps the groups moving. We like tight groups, but it doesn't always work out that way, and no one should feel pressured to ride above their comfortable pace. If you find yourself alone at a corner for very long, turn around and figure out why. If anything comes up and you decide to peel off or go home, TELL SOMEBODY! We don't want to spend the day searching the ditches.

Don't get caught up in the fun and override your sightlines. These are all two-way, frequently traveled roads, with a few slick wooden bridges in the middle of corners, and I don't want anybody to take a swim or end up as a hood ornament. Blind corners and rises abound, so stay in the right track if you can't see what's coming!

Warning!!! FM 2565 may eat you alive! On the first leg of the first day, as you cross 287, you will be entering the infamous FM 2565. A few great rides have ended here, and at least a few clutches have been smoked. If it is muddy, the mud will stick like nothing you have ever seen, caking up and stopping wheels from turning. If the road is closed, turn around and head south on 287, taking a left on Bob Belt Rd. This will get you back on track.

Here are videos from the ride in May of 2021. If you look at these videos, you can get an idea of the route. Please note that it was exceptionally wet and there were high rivers and lakes causing some roads to be challenging. It is not expected to be this way in October, but you never know.
- Day 1:
- Day 2:

The current route is attached.

Some additional information.
  • Motel in Livingston: No formal hotel, but Joel is staying at the Hampton Inn. If people want to agree on a motel, please feel free to reach out to other riders.
  • Motel in Center: It looks like most motels are clustered together in Center around the intersection of Hwy 96 and 87. The Walmart is a little south of this area. (Wade and Pat will be staying at the Best Western.)
  • Is the ride big bike friendly? Yes, but expect the unexpected. For example, there is one stretch of deep sand for maybe 2 miles. If it rains, then there will be mud.
  • There will be fuel stops along the way in small towns and communities. The route has some fuel stops marked on the route. With that being said, pay attention to when you are going to need fuel and plan your fuel stops. You are responsible for your fuel.
If you have trouble loading the GPX file, take a look at the steps in post #56.

Thank you,
Caspar (Trailtime)
Dave (my6)
Joel (RollingJ)
Pat (pp186515)
Wade ()

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2021 East Texas 450.gpx
    1.5 MB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Day One mileage is 235, Day Two is 237.

Edit: I have had reports of gpx file errors, so I split the track into day 1 and day 2.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2021 ET450 verified v2.gpx
    1.5 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Be mindful and respect the wooded areas. It's opening of deer season.

I've had several conversations with hunters over the years in the forest. The VAST majority liked the idea of us making noise and getting the deer to move.

Just making mention of the season and being mindful. I’m sure we ALL want to be good ambassadors of the sport.

Reactions: my6
If it’s rainy or wet, a big bike will be an “adventure”.

Best Western room reserved in Center, Texas for Saturday night Nov 6th.
Riding the KTM 500.

There have been some wet and gross rides, that's for sure. Some years have been dry. Time will tell.

Back