• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas 450 – Nov 6 and 7, 2021

Keenly interested - will probably ride up to Livingston the morning of from the Sugar Land area on my T700.

As one of the original riders, I am totally envious! My avatar pic was taken on the ride, I was in the creek, without a paddle :eek2:

Danny Roth

I remember that weekend well. Wet and cold. A buddy of mine borrowed the shift lever off your KLR for the rest of the ride.

There have been a couple of reports that the GPX file would not open (in Basecamp and Mapsource).

The suggestion from Joel (who we all should thank for preparing our route file) was the following:
  • I used GPXeditor. Some have reported buggy behavior, I'm not sure why. I looked at the code and didn't see anything obvious.
  • Try converting the file to a different format, maybe .kml, at gpsvisualizer.com. Then convert it back to .gpx. If there are problems that will either fix them or blow everything up.

The feedback from the first person to have a problem was as follows. It also worked for a 2nd person.
  • Looks like it worked. I converted it to a KMZ and them back to a GPX. I have a Track, not a route.

I did not have a problem with the original file using iOS (Scenic Motorcycle Navigation), Android (Maprika and GPX Viewer) and Windows 10 (GPX Viewer http://gpxviewer.1bestlink.net/).

A special plug for Maprika as is has free trails for the Lone Start Trail and Sam Houston National Forest. Great for riding or hiking the trails there.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Please let me know if you are also having trouble.

Yup, I had some of those issues as well. I managed to get it into basecamp, but trying to divide it up into each day has proved difficult and I have not completed that yet, but also haven't tried really hard either.

This is a two day drop in ride, but if you would like to be on a contact list shared with other riders, please use the following link. Put as much info as you feel comfortable sharing with others. I would also encourage folks to have some sort of emergency contact information on them for the ride. Participants that provide an email address will likely get this contact contact list emailed to them a day before the ride. It should not be posted where the public can see it.

Hmm. I'll be getting back from the Devil's River early that week so the misses likely won't be happy about me being gone two weekends in a row but I am very tempted. I have heard stories about this ride in the past so it has been on my radar. I'll be a mid week game time call but I am kicking it around. If I come I'll be on the 890.

Reactions: my6
Is anybody trailering to Livingston ?
Last time we rode several people (me included) were afraid of the rash of folks cutting Catalytic Convertors off of vehicles and did not want to leave them in the Wal Mart parking lot. Because of this I decided to ride to Livingston instead of trailering. Those that trailered last time please chime in as to where you left your vehicles. I know some were arriving Friday night and staying at a motel in Livingston and perhaps they were leaving their vehicles at the Motel.

Throwing my hat in the ring staying Friday in Livingston let me know if your interested riding up Friday afternoon from Richmond, Rosenberg, Sugar Land or anywhere else in Southwest Houston area.

I'm still not 100% on going but I would be leaving from Bay City so I'd be interested.

I'm leaving my truck at the hotel, the Hampton Inn.

Tex68w coming from Bay City you'll probably pass through Rosenberg. If you decide to go I'd appreciate the company.

Last time we rode several people (me included) were afraid of the rash of folks cutting Catalytic Convertors off of vehicles and did not want to leave them in the Wal Mart parking lot. Because of this I decided to ride to Livingston instead of trailering. Those that trailered last time please chime in as to where you left your vehicles. I know some were arriving Friday night and staying at a motel in Livingston and perhaps they were leaving their vehicles at the Motel.
I called the City of Livingston Administration Office (City Manager's office) and the Livingston Police Department. They both recommended the Walmart parking lot with the caveat that they were not liable for anything. I did speak with Amber (Walmart front end manager) who said no problem as long as we were parked closer to Hwy 190 (not using the parking near the store entrance). I asked her if she was aware of any problems and said it was more car bumps in the parking lot.

It is still a risk that each individual must accept. I have insurance on my highly customized harbor freight trailer, but I have so much sweat equity in it that I will admit that I am nervous and am still decided if my rear end can take an extra hour of saddle time each day if I ride my EXC there and back.

So, if you know anyone in Livingston, give them a call and see if you can figure out a better solution. Otherwise, lock your trailer as best you can and hope you don't have the nicest trailer in the parking lot. :-)

My place can accommodate a few trailers&trucks. If there is any rain in the days before though, it’ll be an additional trail experience to get out there. It’s three miles up a timber road. It’s also about 20 minutes to get to the end from Woodville, so a little bit of a backtrack from Livingston.

Anyone can send me a PM. I’ll just have to let the neighbors know who the strangers coming out are. Everyone gets a little nosy out here ;)

Last time I did the ride a couple years back, I parked in the Walmart lot with my enclosed trailer. Only problem I had was a shopping cart rolled down the hill a put two dimples in my truck door.

I trailered last time and will be this time also. My car and trailer were right where I left them(Walmart), untouched except for the bird poop. Wasn't there a "local" rider on the May ride who said he had space?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've cancelled my hotel reservations and I am out for this one. I messed up my elbow somehow and it's taking much longer to return to normal. Was really hoping to do this one, maybe I'll be good for spring.

Just FYI, Livingston is the start of meth central so leave your vehicle in the Walmart parking lot at your own risk. I'm just saying!

Back