• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas 450 – Nov 6 and 7, 2021

Just FYI, Livingston is the start of meth central so leave your vehicle in the Walmart parking lot at your own risk. I'm just saying!
Based on what? I've not seen Livingston as a bad place, especially this side of town. It's very possible to have a convertor stolen anywhere.

Every road we go on is a public road. We do not venture onto anyone's property and we ride in groups. We've NEVER crossed paths with any unsavory meth heads to the best of my knowledge on this ride.. We are all grown men and know full well the risks we choose to take. I'm riding.

East Texas is rife with meth.
I've got no use for drugs but that's a ridiculous comment for such a blanket statement. I feel way safer in any East Tx town than being in the big cities. As @my6 said, I ride all these back roads alone and have never came up on any meth heads.

I have run thru east texas and Texas in general working and have had no trouble you just have to watch were you go what you do
Exactly. Being aware applies everywhere. In big cities, you watch out when you’re in crowds, ghettos, and politicians’ offices. In the country, you need to be wary when walking next to swamps, when you see trash piles in yards and hear screaming, and when you’re in a politician’s office.

Moving on to more relevant topics, have you looked at the weather forecast???? I think it is looking pretty great. Might be a little cool in the mornings, so you probably want to make sure you have clothing that will block the wind. This is for Center, TX.
1635516940625.png

If you want to coordinate carpools or ride to Livingston with fellow motorcyclist, please don't forget to sign up for the contact list. The link is in the first post to this thread (as well as any other important updates, so make sure you check it before the ride). I will distribute the first draft of the contact list to folks on the contact list on Monday evening, so please add your info if you want to be included. If you are worried you might not make the ride, I would go ahead and put your info on the contact list. If you cannot make it, just let me know by Friday at 5 PM when I finalize the contact list. Again, this is a drop in ride, so the contact list is not registration, it is for safety and getting to know others who are riding.

So far, we have folks coming from the following. I see a few possibilities for travel coordination. NW Houston and Woodlands. Sugar Land, Rosenberg and Bellaire (all coming up 59).
  • NW Houston
  • The Woodlands
  • Houston/Spring Branch
  • Sugar Land
  • Rosenberg, TX
  • Bellaire
Anyway, looking forward to an awesome ride.

Yeah I hope this weather holds if it does it's gonna be a great weekend to ride. As far as East Tex meth heads go nothing to worry about. Mostly break in's of weekend lake cottages theft of AC units stuff like that. Not much happens in the small towns so I wouldn't worry about leaving a truck and trailer in the parking lot. I'll most likely be traveling to Livingston a back route from Rosenberg Friday and avoiding 59 so if anyone's wanting a leisurely ride Friday afternoon let me know.

I couldn't load the track onto my Montana or Oregon, so I split the track into day1 and day 2. It seems to work now. I think there were too many track points.
I posted the revised track in post #2 but I'll put it here as well.
The gpx viewer link below does not work, though. I give up.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2021 ET450 verified v2.gpx
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Are y'all planning to run something different than these?

A "little" moisture will help to keep the dust down. A light breeze and a day of sunshine will help dry it out a bit. I think we are looking at a perfect scenario for a great ride.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-121706_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-121706_Chrome.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 81
I’m riding from Katy on a 990 leaving around 5am ish on Saturday. If anybody else is riding from that area let me know and we can ride together

11 on the contact list. I will send out the list to participating folks after 9 PM tonight, so good time to sign up in the next couple of hours.

I took the following temperature notes:
  • Saturday Morning (Houston) = 49
  • Saturday Morning (Livingston) = 42
  • Saturday Evening (Center) = 67
  • Sunday Morning (Center) = 40
  • Sunday Evening (Livingston) = 72
So, dress in layers for those brisk mornings, but it should warm up to be not bad for an early November.

Reactions: my6
  • Who: Drop-in riders.
  • What: East Texas 450
  • Where: Day 1: Livingston Walmart to Center Day 2: Center Walmart to Livingston
  • When: November 6 and 7, 2021. Arrive by 0700, first kickstands up by 0715.
  • Why: Fun adventure route, good times, and fun people.
  • How: This is an informal ride with no support other than what you bring with you and what others can offer. So, please be prepared to be self-sufficient or surround yourself with people that can help you. If anyone wants to bring a vehicle and support, I think the group will gladly contribute to buy your meals. No registration or cost.

*** This is not an organized ride. It is a drop in ride with a little bit of coordination.
*** The route is on public roads. While this route has been ridden many times before, things change. Expect the unexpected and ride accordingly.
*** Ride at your own pace!! We would rather wait for you at a corner than spend time dealing with a medical situation.

This is a two day drop in ride, but if you would like to be on a contact list shared with other riders, please use the following link. Put as much info as you feel comfortable sharing with others. I would also encourage folks to have some sort of emergency contact information on them for the ride. Participants that provide an email address will likely get this contact contact list emailed to them a day before the ride. It should not be posted where the public can see it.

Proposed Schedule:
Friday (Nov 5):
  • No organized events, but feel free to self organize and have fun in Livingston.
Saturday (Nov 6):
  • 0700: Arrive by 7 AM (Livingston Walmart, look for the people with motorcycles away from the store).
  • 0700 to 0715: Safety meeting and route discussion. Also, organize into groups of riders.
  • 0715: Kickstands up. It would be good if groups stagger their group starts a bit, but this depends on how many folks participate.
  • Ride and have fun
  • 0700 ish: Dinner in Center. I have made a tentative reservation at the Rancho Grande restaurant. They have a room for us that may hold about 30 people. If anyone has a better idea, let’s hear it.
Sunday (Nov 7):
  • 0700: Arrive by 7 AM (Center Walmart, look for the people with motorcycles away from the store).
  • 0700 to 0715: Safety meeting and route discussion. Also, organize into groups of riders.
  • 0715: Kickstands up. It would be good if groups stagger their group starts a bit, but this depends on how many folks participate.
  • Ride and have fun.

Day One is 235 miles. Day Two is 237 miles. We will be riding the track counterclockwise.

The hope is that every rider has a well-prepared bike, the skills, tools and spares to change a flat, and some form of navigation and communication equipment. Mileage between gas stops can be close to 100 miles. If any of the above are an issue, please be forth coming and we can address them before we start the ride. We all will be willing to help if it comes down to it, but there is no sweep vehicle (unless someone volunteers).

Please wait at each corner for ONLY the rider behind you to arrive IF THE RIDERS ARE STRUNG OUT. This keeps the groups moving. We like tight groups, but it doesn't always work out that way, and no one should feel pressured to ride above their comfortable pace. If you find yourself alone at a corner for very long, turn around and figure out why. If anything comes up and you decide to peel off or go home, TELL SOMEBODY! We don't want to spend the day searching the ditches.

Don't get caught up in the fun and override your sightlines. These are all two-way, frequently traveled roads, with a few slick wooden bridges in the middle of corners, and I don't want anybody to take a swim or end up as a hood ornament. Blind corners and rises abound, so stay in the right track if you can't see what's coming!

Warning!!! FM 2565 may eat you alive! On the first leg of the first day, as you cross 287, you will be entering the infamous FM 2565. A few great rides have ended here, and at least a few clutches have been smoked. If it is muddy, the mud will stick like nothing you have ever seen, caking up and stopping wheels from turning. If the road is closed, turn around and head south on 287, taking a left on Bob Belt Rd. This will get you back on track.

Here are videos from the ride in May of 2021. If you look at these videos, you can get an idea of the route. Please note that it was exceptionally wet and there were high rivers and lakes causing some roads to be challenging. It is not expected to be this way in October, but you never know.
- Day 1:
- Day 2:

The current route is attached.

Some additional information.
  • Motel in Livingston: No formal hotel, but Joel is staying at the Hampton Inn. If people want to agree on a motel, please feel free to reach out to other riders.
  • Motel in Center: It looks like most motels are clustered together in Center around the intersection of Hwy 96 and 87. The Walmart is a little south of this area. (Wade and Pat will be staying at the Best Western.)
  • Is the ride big bike friendly? Yes, but expect the unexpected. For example, there is one stretch of deep sand for maybe 2 miles. If it rains, then there will be mud.
  • There will be fuel stops along the way in small towns and communities. The route has some fuel stops marked on the route. With that being said, pay attention to when you are going to need fuel and plan your fuel stops. You are responsible for your fuel.

Thank you,
Caspar (Trailtime)
Dave (my6)
Joel (RollingJ)
Pat (pp186515)
Wade ()

GPX viewer
I am trying to upload this gpx file into base camp but keep gettin an error which says, "Users/mattoconnor/Downloads/2021 ET450 verified v2.gpx" could not be imported." Any ideas?

Back