• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

East Texas 450 Lufkin this Sunday

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
I plan on riding part of the 450 around Lufkin on my new dual sport if anyone wants to join, all are welcome. Gonna be nice weather Sunday, cool and sunny. I am unsure at this point where I will leave my truck, so if anyone knows a good restaurant or park or something where no one will mess with it, let me know.

Lufkin is a ways off any of the ride tracks. Livingston is right on the route. Walmart at I-69 & 190 is a good safe spot to park.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks. Forgot about Walmart. I park my travel trailer allot in Walmart parking lots and I don't get any issues.

Last time I did a ride and left my truck and trailer at that Walmart, someone shoved a shopping cart into the side of my truck, leaving two dents in the door.

I am considering just getting a room somewhere Saturday night and lauching from the motel early Sunday morning, and leaving the truck at the motel. I just need to find one that has truck parking and doesn't care because I will have a 14ft trailer in tow. That way I can leave early in the morning whether than try and get there super early and then unload the bike and so forth, plus since I am a paying customer they probably will be cool with all that. Anyone know any motel/hotels like that off of 59 in Livingston?

If you are in Humble, why not just ride the whole weekend and forget about the truck/trailer? Livingston is not real far up US 59. I would think it would take less time to just ride rather than messing with loading/unloading the truck/trailer.

Wise choice. We've ridden it as a mudfest and it's not really much fun. Kinda dangerous too.

Reactions: my6
I've had nightmares of a certain East Texas mud ride from a few years ago...wise choice.

I am not going to the 450. Its getting pounded right now by storms so I expect it to be super muddy but I will be riding in Cleveland and in Kenefick on Sunday. Friend of mine has been wanting to check out this bike.

... and you want a place in Livingston? I don't understand ... but anyway, I've stayed at the Motel 6 right off 59 in Livingston. They let me leave a Tahoe and a motorcycle trailer out back. This was a number of years ago, but the place was clean and no issues parking for three nights.

Well I did go riding in Tarkington, Kenefick and Dayton yesterday, and it was a good ride. Mostly asphalt, old mixed asphalt and gravel, and some gravel country roads. They were all mostly dry, but not dusty which was good. The rain barely touched the Houston area Saturday, and looks like most of the storms were stretched north from Cleveland up to Texarkana.

This was the first time I was able to ride that bike the way it was supposed to driven, and thats running the Ninja 300 engine from 6k to 12k RPM, which is its power range. According to the dealer, you not supposed to do that for the first 500 miles keeping it under 5k rpm and I now have about 600 miles on it. That little engine is a screamer! I had no problem keeping up with traffic on 1960 and 321 doing up to 80mph and still had throttle left. The bike is supposed to top out at a little over 100mph. Most of my riding was in the 50 mph range on the back roads. Good ride.

Weather looks good for the weekend. I may go out there to Livingston, and try my luck on the East Tx 450 again. The only rain is Thursday and hopefully it won't be a torrential downpour.

If you plan on riding the section North of 21 around toward Alto, be aware that some of the Forest Service access may be closed due to last weekend’s weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt go out there last weekend because of weather. I went and road over to Tarkington where a buddy lives to show him the bike but hes out in the sticks so I did take allot of gravel and somewhat mixed asphalt/gravel roads all over the place. Typical pink clay and limestone roads, with lots of tiny pea gravel. It was almost bone dry except for some puddles. There was actually a ton of riders out there Sunday, but I am looking for a little more dirt, so I will make an attempt at the 450 this weekend hopefully.

Anyone is welcome to join me and my trailer can carry multiple bikes. I am hoping if there is mud it has become dry enough to be somewhat packed. What I don't want is the kind of clay mud that cakes onto your wheels and then you lose all tread and it becomes a slip n slide where you end up pushing the bike along because of no traction. I do not have knobby tires. They are 80/20s. Weather looks good for Saturday and Sunday.

What I don't want is the kind of clay mud that cakes onto your wheels and then you lose all tread and it becomes a slip n slide where you end up pushing the bike along because of no traction. I do not have knobby tires.

In that kind of clay, even knobbies get all clogged up and slick!

@stephensatt I would love to join you if you don't mind. New rider, new bike. I would feel much more comfortable going into somewhat remote areas with another rider for company.

Reactions: my6
I live in Humble, and I can trailer your bike if you are close, otherwise lets just plan on meeting up in Livingston. I plan to trailer mine simply because I don't care to ride a 300cc dual sport for 2 hours at 80mph up hwy 59 to Livingston. Where do you live? I see there is a taco shack called El Taquito that is very close to the entrance to the 450 trail, and its opens at 6am. They look to have a ton of parking around the place. Maybe they will let me leave the truck there if we give them a bunch of business or pay them.

I live in Sugarland area...let me see if I can figure out a fairly safe route to Humble...might have to get a trailer. I knew I should have just got a smaller dual sport

I bought the 300 specifically because of weight and length as it will fit in the bed of my truck also.

If you can ride the Sam Houston Tollway, too Greenspoint Mall I can meet you there and that should give you a pretty easy ride because there is not allot of traffic on the tollway Saturday morning, and we just trailer it in the mall parking lot. If you have EZ-Tag on any vehicle you own, but not on the bike. You can goto EZ-Tag website and they will let you register your bike plate number right then, and it will automatically charge your account without a sticker so you will be legal. I think the only difference is without the sticker you pay the cash price.

Take the Greenspoint Drive exit, its right at the I-45 intersection under the bridge so be looking for it after the toll booth. I will be in a White Nissan Titan with the trailer at the Whataburger in the Mall parking lot.

My trailer is a single axle 14ft x 6ft low boy with ramps so you can ride the bike right onto it. I could technically trailer 4 bikes , if they are small, probably 3, for bigger bikes. The single axle would be the limitation because of weight, not space.

We need to get an early start, so is 6am Saturday morning to early? Also anyone else wants in on this jump on the thread because I am going to only trailer 3 bikes, unless someone shows up with a little 250 dirt bike, then I guess I can squeeze that in for a 4th bike. Also bring straps. I only have enough straps for 2 bikes.

Your bike is new, and so is mine so even though its going to be really nice weather, because of all this rain, I am expecting some muddy areas so I plan looking for ways around. The bike I have is just not setup for that kind of riding yet, with those Trail Winner GP-210's. They are 80% street.

You could also meet in Willis. There is a big shopping center on the West side of I-45 and North side of FM 1097. You could easily park a trailer there if you want to trailer. That would be a great gateway to a lot of fun dirt riding to the North and West. Just run 1097 West toward FM 149 and head out from there.

I am pretty much loaded up. I have re-purposed an older Samsung Note 3 phone as my music/GPS device for the bike. I installed the .kml file into Google Earth on it that has the East Tx 450 track. My goal though will be to create a newer less muddy .kml file. Also I got a couple of knockoff GoPro's so we might get some good videos to post.

I entered into the Redneck Ramble in Jacksboro Tx next weekend. If anyone is going, I can trailer an additional bike. I got a room at the "Relax" motel. Thats the name of it. The Butterfield Inn was booked up, and that was recommended on the Redneck Ramble site, and the Relax in 1.6 miles down the same road. They showed only 4 rooms available as of last night, and someone else was booking one at the same time on Priceline, which is the online affiliate for that particular hotel.

Back