• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: East Texas BMW+ Motorcycle Club Meeting First Thursday

Nice to see everyone, a good group. And welcome to the new faces, Vernon and Manfred. Interesting to hear about how much more serious Germany is about getting a drivers license. Makes the old joke about a WalMart license seem valid.

And thanks to Rich for the pennant and t-shirt, appreciated.

Wow! What a good meeting!

Sorry I was late but it couldn't be helped. Well, I guess I didn't have to ride into town, buy a gas can & gas, and ride back down the road so that GS rider could make it to the club meeting, but I really couldn't leave him standing there on the side of the road. Could I?

Funny hearing him complain what a piece of cr%p his bike is for running out

Nice picture (if it posts correctly) of Tom Willis, 2nd from left, in this photo of the East Texas BMW club, organized in 1987.
In exchange for a pittance -- which I had to borrow -- I was allowed to join that prestigious organization last night even though (a) I paid dues with borrowed funds (b) I have never had a (motorcycle) shaft failure and (c) I have never owned a vehicle which bore a roundel.
I do, however, wear a recent-vintage Aerostitch.:zen:

Great group guys, I'm honored. And I promise I'll repay that $10.:-P

Attachments

• 1987 east texas bmw.jpg
    1987 east texas bmw.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 182
I'm thinking that little act of kindness is good for at least a year's worth of digs!

I did get the old and lame "It was cold when I was coming back from Bastrop" excuse for the lack of gas, though.
Have to give Tom points for creativity on that.

That's not all - I get back to him a few miles south of Rusk on FM 343 with one gallon of gas and it gets deposited into the GS fuel tank. He then puts the empty gas can in his pannier (I didn't want the smelly thing back in mine). As he is getting his gear back on he remarks, "I wonder if I can make it all the way to Jacksonville on one gallon of gas?"

I immediately said, "Give me the friggen' gas can back so I can get another gallon on the way the meeting!"

He decided to stop in Rusk for gas.

In exchange for a pittance -- which I had to borrow -- I was allowed to join that prestigious organization last night even though (a) I paid dues with borrowed funds (b) I have never had a (motorcycle) shaft failure and (c) I have never owned a vehicle which bore a roundel.
I do, however, wear a recent-vintage Aerostitch.:zen:

Great group guys, I'm honored. And I promise I'll repay that $10.:-P

Never had anyone join on the installment plan before. Did Rick run a credit check first?

Glad to have you with us. Now if we can get Dutch & Jay to pay up, and bring in one more, we will be at 30!

The May meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Club will be held on Thursday, the 7th at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

Just like last month, it should be warm, but could be wet.

See you there!

Also, we received 10 door prizes today from the BMW MOA. We are up to almost 50 door prizes for the Texas National Picnic on Saturday the 16th at Love's Lookout.

I'm working on getting the stickers made for the picnic.

I'll plan to be there if I don't have to work. Invited two other BMW riders I work with.

Kevin

The club has gained new members just about every month since December, and has almost tripled in size in that time. We have the annual picnic coming up, but we haven't been doing much else as a club other than a monthly meetup.

As we approach a membership of 30 (and I think we will keep growing) I'd like to toss out the suggestion that anyone who wants to do so can gather around tonight after the meal and toss around ideas on where we see the club going and what we might want to do. Some things that have been talked about between a few people in the past are: monthly or quarterly club rides; weekend rides & camping in East Texas a couple times a year; a club trip to Arkansas for a long weekend once or twice a year; club t-shirts; and a club website. I'm not suggesting we do any of those things, I'm just suggesting that we discuss it and see what the club members are interested in. I don't want to see us just keep doing the same old thing and all these new people get bored and drift away

weekend rides & camping in East Texas a couple times a year; a club trip to Arkansas for a long weekend once or twice a year; club t-shirts; and a club website.

I would like to see what is pasted above.
I am not a fan of large numbers of bikes in a group ride, though. However, I think some arrangement can be made. Perhaps by having people take their own routes from home to wherever we plan to go, or some variation of that.

Accuweather is now predicting "dry" this evening.

Had a good time and just made it back to Waco there was a bad wreck on 164 and it took forever had to go back to 45 and thru Mexia. Looks like the Truck pulled out right in front of a SUV the SUV was up under the truck I'm sure the ones in the front seats didn't make it.
0daaabb65a930387583ff664febc17f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a good time and just made it back to Waco there was a bad wreck on 164 and it took forever had to go back to 45 and thru Mexia. Looks like the Truck pulled out right in front of a SUV the SUV was up under the truck I'm sure the ones in the front seats didn't make it.
0daaabb65a930387583ff664febc17f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the sad thing is, it probably could of been avoided.

This morning when I pulled out from our county road onto HWY 259, an SUV pulled onto the highway going in the same direction from the other side, just as a semi was coming along in that lane. The semi switched into my lane to avoid the SUV & I gassed my R1100 and moved outta there fast. It just takes a moment of carelessness.

Glad you made it home okay. It was good to see you, hope to see you at the picnic on the 16th.

Again, I had a thoroughly delightful evening (though my onion rings were tough and the bacon on my burger was a chewable challenge).
And, for the record, my IOU has been satisfied and any liens against me have been released. :)

Again, I had a thoroughly delightful evening (though my onion rings were tough and the bacon on my burger was a chewable challenge).
And, for the record, my IOU has been satisfied and any liens against me have been released. :)

Another good reason to get their greasy fries instead of onion rings...

I don't understand how the burgers can be so good and the fries and onion rings so bad.
Maybe I should just not eat them and not complain. Would help with my weight, I guess.
Still, the burgers are really good!

I'd lubed the drive chain on the Ninja and went inside to put on my gear when it's started lightly raining. I figured it'd die down and I resumed getting geared up. Went to the door, it was now coming down in sheets and did so for the next 15 minutes :doh:, point taken :argh:. See y'all next month

Still, the burgers are really good!

They are good, reminds me of Fudruckers (have to be careful with that one) build your own. Good malts too. If the fries and onion rings are not fresh cut, hard to be good

Last edited:
The June meeting of the East Texas BMW+ Club will be held next Thursday, the 4th at Legend's Burgers in Jacksonville (1630 S. Jackson) at 6:30 p.m.

Avoid the bacon & the onion rings (see previous posts :eek2: ). I'll add, avoid the fried pickles - I tried to go a couple rounds with them in the past and they won by a TKO.

We had a short business meeting after the Texas National Picnic a couple weeks ago and decided a few things:

The club will have a website - Steve is working on that.

The club will have a facebook page - Steve created one, we just need to get some info on it - https://www.facebook.com/etbmw

The club will have a weekend ride to Arkansas sometime the first half of September - so either Labor Day weekend - Friday the 4th, or the next weekend, Friday the 11th. I vote for Friday the 11th since everyone will be on the roads on Labor Day weekend.

A couple of us will be on curvy roads next week and will miss the June meeting. Steve will have club stickers for any new members and he will bring TNP stickers to share with anyone who didn't get one at the picnic.

Hope you can make the meeting.

Good to see that a rain forecast is not in the future this time. I hope to attend this one, although you'll have to forgive me and my lack of BMW ;)

Back